Advice needed Where to car camp near Mt Hotham

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi brains trust,

Looking to do a lot of trips this year, do to work alot of day trips. Just wondering where is the best place to car camp closest to the razor back as posible would be great. I am planing a few side country trips off the knobs. the Idea is to snowboard / splitboard and drive back refreshed in the morning. I know alot of the parking spots have been closed off. Any information would be great.

thanks people

Fancy_Pants

Addicted
Jan 29, 2010
Hi brains trust,

Looking to do a lot of trips this year, do to work alot of day trips. Just wondering where is the best place to car camp closest to the razor back as posible would be great. I am planing a few side country trips off the knobs. the Idea is to snowboard / splitboard and drive back refreshed in the morning. I know alot of the parking spots have been closed off. Any information would be great.

thanks people

Drive up and camp in the Fed Hut car park. Sweet access to the loo and fire for free

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
The Fed Diamantina hut is within the resort footprint, so unless you have a paid resort entry permit for your car you may end up with a fine.

The Fed Diamantina hut is neither pleasant or comfortable....

Most people wanting to camp end up on the Dinner Plain side....

thx @mr for the correction.

Fed hut below Feathertop a great place in the snow....

Last edited:

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
I think you guys mean diamantina hut, not fed?

Didnt think there was dunny at diamintina hut, am i missing something thats changed?

Take your own firewood if you car camp there anyway.

Its pretty grubby but the camping is fine, only 50m to a car.

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Dimantina Hut is terrible. Doesn't even have a door!

It is terrible, it doesnt have a door, but i find it dirtbaggedly suitable for a car camp, particularly for a razorback trip, and particularly in spring when the weather is good. I've also stayed there with a friend or a kid or 2 when i couldnt find accom in the resort. Its so shit that there are rarely others around.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
It is terrible, it doesnt have a door, but i find it dirtbaggedly suitable for a car camp, particularly for a razorback trip, and particularly in spring when the weather is good. I've also stayed there with a friend or a kid or 2 when i couldnt find accom in the resort. Its so shit that there are rarely others around.
BTDT
Woken up in the middle of the nite with rats licking my mustache, was an early start to the Razorback that morning, very early.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Total Whiteout

One of Us
Sep 6, 2016
Canberra

Yeh, I spent 3 nights at Hotham in January, arrived too late to start walking on day 1 so went to the pub and then also set up tent next to Diamantina Hut. Fine for a dirtbaggey overnight camp. My dad decided to sleep in the hut and said it was cold but fine.

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
yep definitely the full grunge experience, but good for an overnighter.....im happy with any hut for a few hours before tenting it

2018-07-14 09.32.24.jpg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I think you guys mean diamantina hut, not fed?

Didnt think there was dunny at diamintina hut, am i missing something thats changed?

Take your own firewood if you car camp there anyway.

Its pretty grubby but the camping is fine, only 50m to a car.
I have snow camped at Diamantina hut. JB Hut is nicer and further away from the road.
If the OP can get up to The Northern Razorback and snow camp at the old Helipad at Stoney tops track then if the weather permits Mt. FT access can be gained from there. The road up there is as @Bogong remarks is a good place to get your 4 x 4 bogged in the snow, walk home and wait until spring to retrieve your 4 WD car.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Another option is to trek up The Bungalow spur or the Bon Accord spur with snow gear and snow camping gear and snow camp. From there access to The Razorback and Mt. FT is possible. The Bon Accord spur in September seems to shed snow because of its aspect on the upper portion where it emerges from the tree line. It seems to get the afternoon sun.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Dimantina Hut is terrible. Doesn't even have a door!

Still? It lacked a Door back in ~ 2004. One wonders why there’s not a few PV/Resort work party voli days - now and then - to upgrade poor Dimma.

I assume being within the resort, DELWP are less than keen to sponsor volunteer days?

And being a BC hut, Hotham resort management aren’t so worried?

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
It lacked a Door back in ~ 2004

The doors keep being burnt was the advice I received from Parks yonks ago, that and combined with an approach to discourage all but real emergency cases of accommodation usage. A long time ago it was used as routine accommodation which was leading to problems of rubbish, toilet waste, parking, trees being torn down for fire wood, concern the hut would be burnt down by occupants and so on. All the usual issues with easy car access huts locations.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I found best practise is to camp JB Plain, then bus into Hotham. From there skin up over the summit into the bowls at the back, or down to Diamantina then on to Razorback. You can ski/skate all the way from JB to Dinner Plain, but will have to skin back on return.
I have never used skins to XC ski from Dinner Plain to JB Hut. Pattern bases and good classic Nordic ski technique should be more than sufficient .Metal edges help if it is icy.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I have never used skins to XC ski from Dinner Plain to JB Hut. Pattern bases and good classic Nordic ski technique should be more than sufficient .Metal edges help if it is icy.

To each their own eh T?

On that topic, I’m dying to try my new Voile UltraVector BC this year. (Can you tell?) :D
https://www.voile.com/voile-ultravector-bc-skis.html

I’m hoping they’re a good compromise between my wide, pattern-less tele /BC planks and my long narrow (toothpicks) Morottos (scales). I don’t mind a bit of width overkill for groomed xc trails if it means I can drop into a few bowls, without feeling petrified!

Oh, and I’m not anti skins - they have their place. But in much of Vic the verticals are so marginal and the frequency of interchanges so high. It does start to feel a bit like one of those NZ road trips where one is fitting to chains to their car and then removing, and fitting and removing...? :confused:

Kickers (that are well lubed and allow some downhill glide) are often the best compromise for Vic ‘rollers’!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
looking for something on the Harrietville side, even in Harrietville not too far from the resort
There are camp sites at Smoko but in winter that dirt road becomes marginal for 2 WD. I have camped just before Freeburgh by the Ovens river next to the Old Bridge that links up with Snowy Creek rd.., It is the Old Harrietville Road bridge camp site by the Ovens river just before Freeburgh. Bring a trowel to dig your latrine.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
In clearing by ford on Dungey Track just past Stoneytops Track.Deer hunters established table in the centre beside bbq.Bears also have table across clearing under trees!

This is a good campsite and pitching tent in the clearing you are safe from the possibility of falling trees.

Taking in a chainsaw is a good idea as moderate diam trees can and do fall over this forest road .

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bears whinged countlessly about Diamantina Hut some time back but nobody took much notice?
It needs work done on it....it needs its double doors replaced .It needs to be foil lined like a workshop!A rock wall for wind protection on the Sthn end would also help.Or...use second wall of corrugated iron with foam insulation between layers!

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Found myself on a hunting forum (someone doing some remote wilderness walking / deer hunting in moroka area) - they weren't too happy about the tables or even tore them down
That’s bizarre, was there any rationale to this unhappiness?

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Found myself on a hunting forum (someone doing some remote wilderness walking / deer hunting in moroka area) - they weren't too happy about the tables or even tore them down
Bears have no tables in Moroka area...but unfortunately tables at Big River Saddle are no more.
And we have no plans to replace them at the moment.

There are some pretty screwed up folk wandering around in the alps.Some just like vandalising DSE and National Park infrastructure .

We also know some extremists are bushwalkers and still wander around causing grief.
Burning down huts fulfills their sick lives.
Perhaps DSE could use a few well placed security cameras to catch more dickheads.

The huge boulders placed at the walkway to Keppels Hut was a very good move by the DSE.Some of the four wheel drivers can be pests when they set up all their gear 3inches from a hut!

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Burning down huts fulfills their sick lives.
This a falsehood.

More people hut burns have been accidents or poor hut use than otherwise. So dopiness rather than any ideological actions.

The spate of hut fires caused by arson was as far as I know one person who was not right in the head, so an illness rather than ideological action, tho he did make some ideological claims as part of his defence.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes certainly...some of the bushwalkers are a little dopey at times!Bears say it’s the long term effect of that scroggin they munch on!It would not be good for your Outdoor CV if you accidentally burnt a hut down.

Bears not sure what brand of trail mix led to the Button Mans demise!But.....we champion the fact that he doesnot get lost like some outdoor users!

Reactions: crackson

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
You can camp near the Tronough ( spelling ? ) dredge site near the Ovens river in Harrietville. There is plenty of flat terrain and in winter I'd imagine that few people go there. I walked the whole area when I came down off the Razorback via Champion spur back to The Bungalow spur trail head.

Reactions: Total Whiteout
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass