Question Where to get bindings checked in Perisher?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Lady Penelope, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

Quick question for the brains trusts out there. My new skis have arrived (yippee!) and I’m keen to step into them next weekend. Obviously I need to get the bindings checked; they’ve been set roughly to my boot measurements prior to shipping. Adis? Snowline at Smiggins?

2. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future!
    Ski Pass - Gold

The Slopestyle shop on the lower level of the Perisher centre perhaps (the one nearest the V8). Or call into Rhythm at Cooma on the way down? Or any of the ski shops in Jindy unless you're passing through before they open.

Or can you get to one of the ski shops in Canberra before the weekend?

Poppies likes this.
  3. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Canberra ski shops are a bit of a trek from where I live. I could call into Rhythm or Jindy Sports on my way down on Sunday morning, but simply want to be as efficient as possible with time given the early morning start and rush to get onto the hill to get a parking spot! Adis was my first thought. Slopestyle are pretty clear that they are a demo store only ...

4. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

start of every season I have Adi check my bindings and release tension in all directions. never had a premature reease nor a twisted knee:thumbs:

5. Marty_McSly

Ski Pass - Gold

They won't even check and adjust the bindings for a fee? That'd be their bread and butter. Every demo pair that goes out needs the bindings set for the hirer. Dunno, I've only been in there once looking for a bootfitter. They seemed keen to help.

Adi's or Snowline seem reasonable options. Perhaps give them a call?

6. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Use the telephone? That’s so 20th century ;). (Actually, something I tend to do quite a lot, still. Good suggestion).

Poppies and Marty_McSly like this.
  7. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Depending on your model of bindings, it can take upto half an hour to set up both bindings properly. there's more to it than just the length adjustent to ensure safe toe and heel retention and release. I would take both boots in to have checked there is no issue with toe or heel wear.

skifree likes this.
  8. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Thanks @hipo. I hope it won’t take half an hour! The bindings are already set roughly to my boot sole length and the DIN settings look accurate to my untrained eye (after providing the shop with them prior to shipping). I’m used to hire places taking a few minutes to jam the boot in and do a quick adjustment with their screwdriver.

9. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Call Adi and see if you can make an early appointment. He's usually open at 7.30am. Wear your civvie shoes over from the car park so you dont freeze your toes off while waiting or walking to Jax;)

10. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Ski Pass - Gold

5 min job. Adi will look after you.

11. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

a lot of bindings also have vertical clearance adj that are all too frequently bypassed, particularly with rentals. For new combinations of boots and bindings I wouldnot bypass just to save a few minutes.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  12. Telemark Phat

Ski Pass - Gold

No toe height adjustment on those bindings. They are a 5 min job to adjust.

Lady Penelope, hipo and skinavy like this.
  13. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I setup two pairs of those on the weekend (wife and #1 daughter). They are pretty easy to setup and there is very little to adjust on them. The adjustment for forward pressure is automatic if you have set bootsole length correctly. There is no way to adjust toe height on them. Did they come with the binding manual? The directions are pretty simple to follow. In terms of setting DIN, if you're not comfortable get that done at the shop. Being brand new there should be little reason to confirm that the DIN indicators match actual values. Providing your boots aren't worn they should be fine. I'd recommend Adi's if you want to confirm things.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  14. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Go to Adi's. He is a good guy and will sort you out:) Also, he doesn't sell or rent skis, so he doesn't care where you got them from. Some shops get a bit funny about being asked to adjust bindings on skis bought elsewhere, especially from overseas:rolleyes:

Take your old skis in the car, just in case there is a problem. A forum member you know well had a problem with the mounting of the bindings of skis he ordered from overseas. Basically they had been mounted incorrectly, and Adi had to take them off and completely redo them.

Also ask Adi to have a look at the edges, to see if the shop that set them up has detuned the tips or not. Some do this routinely, others not. If they have not been detuned I would ski them first and see how they go. If you find the tips a little catchy or snaggy for your liking you can get Adi to detune them slightly

15. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Nice skis..... As they all said, just go to Adi. No one has mentioned you will have to tell him your weight, no one will judge you, or you can just whisper in Adis ear :) :eek::whistle::D;)

I really don't get the BS that some shops carry on with about adjustments, its a pretty simple process for someone familiar with it. But then you have to understand the concept of service, which which is more likely the problem.

16. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Don't to worry about possible remount of bindings. These bindings are on a rail type plate. To adjust boot length (or remove them) there is a catch you hold up and slide the toe or heel piece to the correct marking. If you have correct the catch on the heel piece will retract slightly forward , into the heel piece, when you click in the boot.

17. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

As above Adi is great, has helped us out with broken board bindings etc in the past. When I've bought new skis online, I've just checked the boots clip in and out ok and off I go. Been ok (lucky) so far!

#17 chicski, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  18. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Thank you both :). Adi sounds like the man ... he waxes our skis pretty regularly so may recognise my face ... These skis are ex-demos from the UK (only used for “3 - 5 days at an industry demo event in the Swiss Alps” according to the seller, and they look pretty much brand new) that I picked up for essentially half the RRP including GST and postage. So I’m hoping they won’t need any detuning. The bindings are the Head (ie Tyrolla) ones that come mounted with this particular type of ski. My boots do clip in and out but are a bit tight to release, so I don’t want to risk clipping into them and then not releasing if I have one of my rare :D stacks. The DIN settings look ok (ie what I specified) to my untrained eye, but again I will ask him to check. I’m not comfortable moving bindings around by myself as I lack the experience - I’d rather pay someone to do this for me! And unfortunately I have also had some negative experiences taking skis purchased overseas (think Level 9’s base children’s model) in to have the bindings adjusted from local ski shop owners with a very snooty attitude.

#18 Lady Penelope, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  19. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

^^^ this

20. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless
    Ski Pass - Gold

This story is true........I am that forum member.:)
    The Phats needed a binding transplant to get them right! :thumbs:
    Another positive vote for Adi here!

21. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Adi is one of the good guys of the aussie snow industry. Its rare. As are his staff.
    I've had missing/lost bits of bindings in the past. Both times at Blue cow.

Both times he replaced (was as good as he could do with the screws he had...Think 15mm but 16 G screw) and also tightened the rest of the binding for free.

22. Snowfi

Snowfi Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

We use Adi on snow and Straight Line locally.

Straight Line have adjusted or remounted many sets of bindings for us, esp those we have purchased second hand. No issues other than busy so they like a couple of days to manage the workflow. Maybe they don't like adjusting new online purchases, I understand that.

23. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

Can confirm Straight Line don't like adjusting new online purchases. Now shop elsewhere.

24. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Or just learn how to do it yourself.

skifree likes this.
  25. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

You guessed correctly, @Snowfi! (As @DidSurfNowSki has also discovered).

Kopite likes this.
  26. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Hmm, I kind of guessed @robbo mcs was referring to you ;). Hope the phats have been handling these lovely powdery conditions, @Normo!

Normo likes this.
  27. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

My vote goes to Adi and his team as well. Honest and quick service. I've had binding remounts, mounts, and lots and lots of TLC for our skis over the years.

Lady Penelope and Ted Harper like this.
  28. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Just a quick postscript to this thread. I took my skis into Adis where the young(ish) man there happily adjusted the bindings at no charge while strongly encouraging me to get them tuned after he de-tuned the tips. I went for a quick run down Front Valley and agreed with him. Enjoyed a relaxed coffee and muffin at Brunellis waiting for the tuning then had a chance to try them out briefly at Perisher before letting rip in Charlotte's Pass yesterday. They felt good!

29. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Glad it was a good outcome for you.
    Young guy.... = Nathan - good technician .
    Just echoing what lots of people have said in this thread, they have lots of spare parts, they think outside the box, use initiative, I don't think they unnecessarily up-sell tunes, but often its a nice way to pay them back for a "free" repair.

30. Aractus

Aractus First Runs

I don't agree with that advice. Of course get someone at Adis or a hire shop to set up the bindings for your boot, but as for the DIN setting and checking the bindings and boots that's for you to do as they're not going to give those a second look. Setting the DINs to a tech is a 1 minute job, but they are going by "feel" on a bench and have to set them for a wide range of people, what you end up with is a rough guess based on an ISO chart. They do their best, but it's not perfect because they can't check that the setting is correct, only you can do that yourself. The only person I will ever trust to set my DINs is me.

I found someone recently my height (180cm) struggling to get their boot to stay in the binding of their hire skis at the top of the Mt Perisher Triple Chair with a DIN setting of 4. 4!!

I got my first pair of skis this year (just ex-rental Head skis). After I had my bindings set by someone (I won't name and shame) I found I had to increase the DIN settings by 1.5 to get it to the correct setting. The setting the tech set it on was dangerous and the skis came off far too prematurely. After tightening they have still popped off fine when I've had falls that twisted the ski. There is a guide to a diy test you can do here, I must admit I have not tried that test myself but it should be far more accurate than the tech feeling the boot tension on the bench.

Beyond that as mentioned I'd suggest regularly checking your boots and bindings for any damage, missing screws, etc.

31. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Interesting ... the conventional advice seems to be that only accredited/suitably qualified technicians (whatever that means) can mess with the DIN settings. Hence even though I know what my settings should be, I’ve never gone forth with a screwdriver to adjust them on new skis ...

Ted Harper likes this.
  32. Skiing Gus

Skiing Gus Early Days

I just modified mine not long ago. Was having an issue coming out of them and then found out that my Front DIN setting was heaps higher than my rear DIN setting. My front was closer to what the chart says it should be

33. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Larry Adler in Collaroy used to (may still) offer a release check, which is something different to adjusting the bindings' DIN settings. Some sort of mechanical device to apply calibrated force to the boot/binding combination to check that the release force was consistent with the binding setting.

34. Aractus

Aractus First Runs

I don't know what conventional advice says that. Certainly ski shops can theoretically test the bindings, with the right equipment, to see if the DIN number is accurate to the ISO standard. But it's not a set-and-forget number. If you gain or lose weight, or carry more or less gear while skiing in a backpack, or if your feet grow longer (after pregnancy), or if the binding tension changes as they age the existing setting will be wrong.

And it probably is a good idea to get into the habit of testing the bindings, that way when you get demo skis or change skis you can make sure they're set right.

35. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

And that is why a check by professionals with the proper equipment that your bindings are functioning properly and are releasing at the indicated forces in all directions is much more of a valuable check than just seeing if your marker on the din setting is pointing to some number without knowing what forces are involved.

Ozgirl and Ted Harper like this.
  36. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I'd love to know what accreditation, and qualifications you speak of, and who monitors said accreditation, and the attainment of said qualifications. I suspect there would be few if any shop assistants who could point to training by a qualified person or a piece of paper to prove that they have more knowledge of binding adjustment than most experienced skiers.

You think about all the places skis are sold and rented where bindings are adjusted, there would be a mini industry in the binding adjustment education of shop assistants.

I personally know of a bloke in Jindy who bought a shop last year, who fitted race bindings to a pair of race skis for a child, without proper inserts and using screws of varying lengths. The bindings separated from the kids skis IN A RACE. The consequences could have been awful. Its not a regulated (self or otherwise) industry.

Aractus likes this.
  37. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

I have wondered about this myself. Normally when ‘accreditation’ or ‘certification’ is cited, one would expect a formal training course to have been completed and/or certain competencies to be assessed and met. Does this happen? Regardless, I get the same spiel when buying on-line from various snowsports stores that they cannot adjust DIN settings based on information provided using the common calculators available; one must take the skis in with boots and person and get these adjusted with the bindings. Is there something mysterious and technical that I’m missing with respect to adjusting the DINs in particular?

38. Marty_McSly

Ski Pass - Gold

No, it's a liability issue.

Ozgirl likes this.
  39. Aractus

Aractus First Runs

Well like I said you need to be able to actually test your skis in the field. The kind of ski you use, the type of snow you generally ski in, and your style of skiing all influence what setting you should use. On Saturday I had another little fall, and just like the past 4-5 times I didn't feel my leg twisting at all and the ski came off cleanly. My DINs are set very conservatively because I'm not an aggressive skier, so when I say that they were originally set WAY too low I mean that that they were set so low that they would only be suitable for a beginner that is skiing only on slopes like Friday Flat or Front Valley.

If you're an absolute beginner it really probably doesn't make much difference to you, but once you've been skiing a while and have advanced to ski on blue runs etc then you should be checking your own bindings, not doing so could lead to injury. If you notice them coming off when they shouldn't at the very least increase the DINs by .5 and then see if that helps, and increase by another .5 if needed. And again, not checking your own equipment is just crazy - you could have missing screws, foreign objects lodged in the bindings, ball bearing falling out, chips in your boot lugs, etc. Any of those things can lead to injury.

Oh that's terrible I'm really sorry to hear about that!

It's not just the DINs, it's the exact length of your boot's lugs as well. Usually that value is written on the boot, but even then it could be wrong or customers could make a mistake when ordering, so yes if you don't know how to correctly adjust the binding to the length of your boot (which I didn't at the start of the season), definitely get someone in a ski shop to do that. As for the DINs, test yourself and set accordingly - note the resorts helpfully provide a bench and screwdriver for the exact purpose of adjusting DINs and tightening loose screws.

40. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Can’t have too much red tape.

41. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

I know it's not the norm to name people in these situations, but I'd be keen to know who this was/what shop it was. I don't want to be going to them and putting myself or my family at risk.

42. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I don't know about NSW, or even Melbourne, but in north east vic most ski hires would require everyone to have done a basic ski technicians course (~ 3 days IIRC). This used to be an official accreditation but it looks like it is not done that way now. I suspect that the course is exactly the same though.

Ozgirl likes this.
  43. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I can only think of one ski shop that changed hands recently....

44. Telemark Phat

Ski Pass - Gold

The binding manufacturers (through their wholesalers in Australia) offer indemnity against liability to ski shops who follow their processes for the mounting and adjusting of bindings with a saftey release. One of the processes is for your staff who mount or adjust bindings to have done a course/test on that manufacturers bindings.

Adjusting bindings isn't rocket science (its in the manufacturers interest to make bindings as easy to adjust as possible). The two things most recreational skiers are bad at is adjusting forward pressure (can either be simple or esoteric depending on the manufacturer) and check the boot toe and heel lugs against the DIN standard.

Inserts or helicoils are normally only used in mounting alpine bindings when the tech messes up and strips a hole by overtightening a screw. Bindings have different length screws since the thickness of the binding is not consistent. I don't know enough to say that the mount was bad, but bindings do come out of skis, I've pulled bindings from both alpine and telemark skis personally.

currawong, Ozgirl and skifree like this.
  45. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

For those of us not in the know it’s still a mystery!

46. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I’d only be guessing. Not my story to tell :)

Kopite likes this.
  47. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

The skis were race skis with a 35 odd kg girl riding them, TBH it would be difficult to mount a binding that poorly that a light kid could pull the screws out, the father had them re-mounted by a larger more established shop in Jindy who were more than a little scathing of the original work.

At one point the parents were going to escalate to the wholesaler, but in the end just let it go.
    I'm guessing that with a years experience under their belt, the shop are less likely to have it happen again.

Kopite its unlikely that you would stumble into the shop and even less likely they would have skis you would want/need, its not really aimed at the average recreational skier.

P.S I will try and find the photos, I wouldn't crucify the place based on one event that I'm aware of though.

chicski and Kopite like this.
  48. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Think I guessed right.

49. Telemark Phat

Ski Pass - Gold

Ski towns are full of bitchy back stabbing.

Kids gear has different standards to adult gear. Their boot lugs have different dimensions, the binding screws are shorter with a smaller diameter and the cores of their skis are weaker. Kids gear is more difficult to mount because its much easier to strip a hole than with an adult ski. The first store might have messed up the mount, but "inserts" and different sized screws aren't evidence and sound like BS to me. Better evidence would have been bindings with screws still in them but no material attached (the screw was stripped rather than pulled out where it would have material attached to it).

I know the store with a new owner, no idea about the quality of their work though (I haven't heard anything, good or bad). I also know of more than one "reputable" store who will bad mouth everyone else to big up themselves.

Ozgirl likes this.