Question Where to get bindings checked in Perisher?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Lady Penelope, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

Quick question for the brains trusts out there. My new skis have arrived (yippee!) and I’m keen to step into them next weekend. Obviously I need to get the bindings checked; they’ve been set roughly to my boot measurements prior to shipping. Adis? Snowline at Smiggins?

2. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future!
    Ski Pass - Gold

The Slopestyle shop on the lower level of the Perisher centre perhaps (the one nearest the V8). Or call into Rhythm at Cooma on the way down? Or any of the ski shops in Jindy unless you're passing through before they open.

Or can you get to one of the ski shops in Canberra before the weekend?

3. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Canberra ski shops are a bit of a trek from where I live. I could call into Rhythm or Jindy Sports on my way down on Sunday morning, but simply want to be as efficient as possible with time given the early morning start and rush to get onto the hill to get a parking spot! Adis was my first thought. Slopestyle are pretty clear that they are a demo store only ...

4. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

start of every season I have Adi check my bindings and release tension in all directions. never had a premature reease nor a twisted knee:thumbs:

5. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future!
    Ski Pass - Gold

They won't even check and adjust the bindings for a fee? That'd be their bread and butter. Every demo pair that goes out needs the bindings set for the hirer. Dunno, I've only been in there once looking for a bootfitter. They seemed keen to help.

Adi's or Snowline seem reasonable options. Perhaps give them a call?

6. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Use the telephone? That’s so 20th century ;). (Actually, something I tend to do quite a lot, still. Good suggestion).

Marty_McSly likes this.
  7. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Depending on your model of bindings, it can take upto half an hour to set up both bindings properly. there's more to it than just the length adjustent to ensure safe toe and heel retention and release. I would take both boots in to have checked there is no issue with toe or heel wear.

skifree likes this.
  8. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Thanks @hipo. I hope it won’t take half an hour! The bindings are already set roughly to my boot sole length and the DIN settings look accurate to my untrained eye (after providing the shop with them prior to shipping). I’m used to hire places taking a few minutes to jam the boot in and do a quick adjustment with their screwdriver.

9. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Call Adi and see if you can make an early appointment. He's usually open at 7.30am. Wear your civvie shoes over from the car park so you dont freeze your toes off while waiting or walking to Jax;)

10. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Ski Pass - Gold

5 min job. Adi will look after you.

11. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

a lot of bindings also have vertical clearance adj that are all too frequently bypassed, particularly with rentals. For new combinations of boots and bindings I wouldnot bypass just to save a few minutes.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  12. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Ski Pass - Gold

No toe height adjustment on those bindings. They are a 5 min job to adjust.

Lady Penelope, hipo and skinavy like this.
  13. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I setup two pairs of those on the weekend (wife and #1 daughter). They are pretty easy to setup and there is very little to adjust on them. The adjustment for forward pressure is automatic if you have set bootsole length correctly. There is no way to adjust toe height on them. Did they come with the binding manual? The directions are pretty simple to follow. In terms of setting DIN, if you're not comfortable get that done at the shop. Being brand new there should be little reason to confirm that the DIN indicators match actual values. Providing your boots aren't worn they should be fine. I'd recommend Adi's if you want to confirm things.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  14. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Go to Adi's. He is a good guy and will sort you out:) Also, he doesn't sell or rent skis, so he doesn't care where you got them from. Some shops get a bit funny about being asked to adjust bindings on skis bought elsewhere, especially from overseas:rolleyes:

Take your old skis in the car, just in case there is a problem. A forum member you know well had a problem with the mounting of the bindings of skis he ordered from overseas. Basically they had been mounted incorrectly, and Adi had to take them off and completely redo them.

Also ask Adi to have a look at the edges, to see if the shop that set them up has detuned the tips or not. Some do this routinely, others not. If they have not been detuned I would ski them first and see how they go. If you find the tips a little catchy or snaggy for your liking you can get Adi to detune them slightly

Normo, Ted Harper and Nidecker like this.
  15. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Nice skis..... As they all said, just go to Adi. No one has mentioned you will have to tell him your weight, no one will judge you, or you can just whisper in Adis ear :) :eek::whistle::D;)

I really don't get the BS that some shops carry on with about adjustments, its a pretty simple process for someone familiar with it. But then you have to understand the concept of service, which which is more likely the problem.

16. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Don't to worry about possible remount of bindings. These bindings are on a rail type plate. To adjust boot length (or remove them) there is a catch you hold up and slide the toe or heel piece to the correct marking. If you have correct the catch on the heel piece will retract slightly forward , into the heel piece, when you click in the boot.

17. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

As above Adi is great, has helped us out with broken board bindings etc in the past. When I've bought new skis online, I've just checked the boots clip in and out ok and off I go. Been ok (lucky) so far!

#17 chicski, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  18. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Thank you both :). Adi sounds like the man ... he waxes our skis pretty regularly so may recognise my face ... These skis are ex-demos from the UK (only used for “3 - 5 days at an industry demo event in the Swiss Alps” according to the seller, and they look pretty much brand new) that I picked up for essentially half the RRP including GST and postage. So I’m hoping they won’t need any detuning. The bindings are the Head (ie Tyrolla) ones that come mounted with this particular type of ski. My boots do clip in and out but are a bit tight to release, so I don’t want to risk clipping into them and then not releasing if I have one of my rare :D stacks. The DIN settings look ok (ie what I specified) to my untrained eye, but again I will ask him to check. I’m not comfortable moving bindings around by myself as I lack the experience - I’d rather pay someone to do this for me! And unfortunately I have also had some negative experiences taking skis purchased overseas (think Level 9’s base children’s model) in to have the bindings adjusted from local ski shop owners with a very snooty attitude.

#18 Lady Penelope, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  19. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

^^^ this

20. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless
    Ski Pass - Gold

This story is true........I am that forum member.:)
    The Phats needed a binding transplant to get them right! :thumbs:
    Another positive vote for Adi here!

skifree, Ted Harper and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  21. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Adi is one of the good guys of the aussie snow industry. Its rare. As are his staff.
    I've had missing/lost bits of bindings in the past. Both times at Blue cow.

Both times he replaced (was as good as he could do with the screws he had...Think 15mm but 16 G screw) and also tightened the rest of the binding for free.

22. Snowfi

Snowfi Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

We use Adi on snow and Straight Line locally.

Straight Line have adjusted or remounted many sets of bindings for us, esp those we have purchased second hand. No issues other than busy so they like a couple of days to manage the workflow. Maybe they don't like adjusting new online purchases, I understand that.

23. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

Can confirm Straight Line don't like adjusting new online purchases. Now shop elsewhere.

24. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Hard Yards

Or just learn how to do it yourself.

skifree likes this.
  25. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

You guessed correctly, @Snowfi! (As @DidSurfNowSki has also discovered).

26. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Hmm, I kind of guessed @robbo mcs was referring to you ;). Hope the phats have been handling these lovely powdery conditions, @Normo!

Normo likes this.
  27. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

My vote goes to Adi and his team as well. Honest and quick service. I've had binding remounts, mounts, and lots and lots of TLC for our skis over the years.

Lady Penelope and Ted Harper like this.