1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Where to go - toddler and non-skiing partner

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by nezumi, Feb 19, 2019.

1. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Following on from my other thread (https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/snowboard-school-for-3-6.83700/), I am now looking at where to go with my family.

Who:
    * Me, snowboarding, went to Falls 2 years ago and enjoyed Ruined Castle and South Face, didn't like Village Run from the Summit chair.
    * Wife, currently 8 weeks pregnant, will be mostly staying in accommodation and enjoying reading books and drinking cocoa.
    * Toddler - is a toddler. 3 in March.
    * Possibly others, depending.

We are looking at going for about a week, but are undecided whether or not to include the weekend.

Our son does really well at childcare, so I think he could hack all-day ski school (even if it isn't all spent actually skiing).

Where I am struggling is to find somewhere that has enough space for relaxing during the day while also being close enough to the ski school for the little one.

When we went to Falls 2 years ago, we stayed at Chorki. This was pretty nice, but I don't think we quite knew what to expect, and the other occupants, although having kids, where far more "party" oriented than we were.

Fjall looks great, if I can get enough people to join us - I have sent off an email asking if we can have our toddler in the main bedroom on a trundle/inflatable mattress/etc, but I haven't heard back. I'm also unsure if their pricing structure is current.

If it ends up being just us, I think Diana Lodge might be the best bet? I'm a little wary of the distance to the Falls Express lift tho.

2. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

So Diana is looking more and more likely, as I have been unable to rouse sufficient numbers to make a combined trip worthwhile, and the idea of having food prepared for us is very appealing.

Has anyone stayed there recently and can give any feedback on the venue?

3. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

@nezumi if you post in the Falls Creek section of the forum, you may get some responses.

4. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

With a small child an apartment may be an option to consider.

Try https://www.alpineapartmentsfallscreek.com.au/
    Or the Falls web site

I have used these guys (Alpine Apts) for years for our Falls apartment bookings and they do a great job (and I have no connection to them whatsoever apart from being a very satisfied customer)

5. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

How big is your budget? That may dictate how much you can addord in accommodation. Something with a hot tub would be nice for your plus 1 to relax in.

Have you considered Thredbo?

They have a decent size village with a few apres activities, including an indoor heated pool at the AIS complex, squash courts and I think they even have a climbing wall.

Your plus 1 and son may really enjoy the oool

I believe the kids program at Thredbo is very good

6. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I did wonder about that - unfortunately there isn't a consolidated Australia forum for questions like this - so it was a choice of posting it in the more trafficked forum, or the more specific ones, multiple times over.

I wondered about that, especially the ones in Les Chalets and Rocky Valley given the proximity to the Falls Express chair. Main drawbacks there, without decent numbers, is the space available for a lounging homebody to relax, and the need to cook for ourselves. Pros, obviously, are privacy and control, as well as possibly price.

I'm looking at Thredbo for next year actually! Main reasoning there is that they appear to offer all-day snowboarding lessons for four year olds.

Part of the struggle in it all is the options, and the associated pricing - I tend to hit paralysis by analysis in these sorts of scenarios.

7. Mouse_M

Mouse_M Hard Yards

We have booked through https://www.alpineapartmentsfallscreek.com.au/ for the last 2 years and have booked for this year as well. Email or call Katrina and ask her for recommendations. She will let you know which apartments would suit your requirements.
    She is always very helpful with questions about space, bedding, getting from the ATS to the accommodation.

I have also been in contact Shona at http://fallscreekaccom.com/accommodation/ and she was very helpful asking for what we needed for our accommodation.

We have stayed at Frueauf Village and their units are fantastic, but they are towards the top and would require you to ski/ride to Falls Express or catch the shuttle.

Good luck!

8. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

So toddler will be almost 3? That is touch and go got for ski school. Needs to be toilet trained. Also needs to be strong enough to control skis. My son was ok at 3.5, better at just under 4.

Half days only - my son way too tired for full day. Search the forums for tips on taking kids skiing

piolet likes this.
  9. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

My kids both did full days at ski school from 3 years of age.... no problems but as stated, they do need to be toilet trained.
    Diana is a fair hike with a 3year old to ski school although you can probably use the courtesy bus from the bottom of the Gully to Falls Creek express.
    It all really is around budget, have a look at apartments, there are some smaller ones that are reasonable Rocky Valley, right opposite the lift comes to mind.
    Also have a look Halley's, although could be noisy. at https://www.vicsnowaccommodation.com.au/venue/halleys-lodge/

10. Mouse_M

Mouse_M Hard Yards

Nelse Lodge is nice as well. We haven't stayed with them, but have had dinner there. It's lovely inside and not too far a walk to Falls Express. Although coming home it's up the hill.

11. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Nelse is lovely, Parker sold it a couple of years ago, but I would imagine still very nice. There is a cheapish apartment opposite Nelse too.

12. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Have you looked at Pretty Valley? Location is great. They have a kids dinner and child minding while parents eat. Also 3 meals a day. There is an English pub and a tearoom in the same building also a pool. (Tearoom was new last year - assuming it will be there again but really don't know)
    https://www.prettyvalley.com/

not cheap but neither is Fjall. it ticks lots of boxes

13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

those apartments have been renovated - not sure how prices have been effected.

if you don't mind a shuttle bus, you could also look at country club apartments. the bus from there to Halleys Comet is much more reliable than te village shuttle. And if it's just you, you can jump on gully or international

14. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Toddler will be 3 in March, so 3.33 when we are on the snow. He does circus classes and a lot of other physical activity, so I'm not too worried on that front. He toilet trained just before Christmas, and has been managing without nappies overnight since then too.

That's really my main concern around Diana - well, that and the potential of having others join us (which would be much better than just boarding around on my own for a week).

One of my friends stays there each year in September and rates it pretty highly. We actually had dinner in the pub one night while we were there in 2017, which was pretty nice. The only downside there is that we would be paying for gear rental that wouldn't be used.

Doing the numbers we have:
    Diana: $2,400 for 5 nights, brekky and dinner for 3 of us except Wed
    Pretty Valley: $4,400 for 5 nights, 3 meals. Short walk to Falls Express
    Nelse: $3,235 for 5 nights, B&B
    Halleys: Can't get an indication of prices :(
    Fjall: Availability confirmed, but not pricing. Dependant on getting enough people to join us, which is looking unlikely.

A couple of the studio apartments appear to be available for around $1,800, but my concern there is having enough space for my wife, so she doesn't feel claustrophobic for the week.

Good food for thought and options, thanks :)

15. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I like PV Lodge even if I can't afford to stay there, some of the better food on the hill; you need to figure the cost of lunch at PV at $25- a head but it's hard to eat lunch at Falls for much less anywhere decent.
    Tip: If you stay at PV fill your pockets with cookies when leaving for the days skiing the fellers in the kitchen just loving baking cookies. Not.