1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Where to go when the light is low?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Triple B, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Triple B

Triple B One of Us

Guys, heading to Falls for the first time on Sunday for a week.

Excitement levels high amongst the group as u can imagine, but the forecast for almost a continuous week of snow brings a different issue. I'm happy to ski in almost any weather conditions, don't love the wind of course, but will deal with it.

However, I have a severe aversion to not being able to see where I'm going. Even on runs I have been down a thousand times, if I can't see more than a few metres in front of me, I just cannot enjoy it.

Without even ever having skied Falls, I can tell that on poor visibility days that the Ruined Castle/Towers area would be an area where low light would kill you. Barely a tree in sight.

So the question is, where are the areas/runs to hit up to give the best experience when the light is low??

Cheers

2. Benn0

Benn0 Old n' Crusty

I really struggled around Scotts and Ruined castle in low visibility. I stuck to Towers on those days, wasn't too bad.

3. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If The Maze is open, this could be an option as there is tree cover there. Also the Y's at the side of the summit has some tree cover. You should pm Currawong as she gets up there regularly and knows the mountain very well.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

if you can't get a run with trees, get a run that is very predictable and well in your comfort zone. practice skiing by feel and building your confidence in poor light.

don't write off scotts completely - corkscrew and shadow ridge can be ok in bad light

lakeside is good in bad weather. some trees but also very predictable gradient. queue can be awful
    towers can be ok - predictable gradient on mainstreet and highway. there are trees around foxtrail. under the chair has good definition too.
    depending on cover: last hoot and variations

as apresski said, the maze is good when it's open. so far has not opened this season. some other runs on inter can be good if groomed

5. inky

inky Hard Yards

For more mellow but still fun little stashes try around Last Hoot/Milky Way. Only hassle is Express chair can get pretty busy in poor viz. I also like the Y's but getting there can be interesting in a white out.

6. I.P. Freely

I.P. Freely First Runs

Anything with lots of trees - Foxtrail, definitely the Ys or the Maze, shadow ridge or the runs down to FC Express.

7. DeesOnSkis

DeesOnSkis One of Us

Yeah, in really poor conditions home trails like Last Hoot and Wombats are usually fine then Main Street/Rapunzels/Highway often open up once you ski down.

#7 DeesOnSkis, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  8. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

In really poor conditions, the bar is a good spot t [​IMG] o be

#8 Apresski, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

i'll ski bad light if i think the snow is excellent (eg saturday & sunday)

can't be bothered otherwise (eg yesterday & today)