1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Where to live (min 12 months) in Canada for snow, MTB, backpacking etc.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by FNM, Aug 9, 2019.

1. FNM

FNM Early Days

2. FNM

FNM Early Days

Do you have any idea/experience how it compares to Invermere or Rossland?

#102 FNM, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  3. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

^^
    yes, have probably spent the same amount of time in each of the 3 towns...... not a lot but what I have seen in winter Golden is the most depressing.. Rossland...loads of character and fun.

FNM likes this.
  4. FNM

FNM Early Days

Sweet, Rossland sounds good. What are your thoughts on Invermere? ... I'm more than happy with what I'm hearing about Rossland and suspect I'll end up heading that way but am just so taken by Invermere's location to other mountains, parks etc, as well as Pano's slightly more developed resort in terms of chairlifts and I think bars/eateries as well. I also like what people have been saying about Pano being a great mountain to progress your skiing on.

5. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

People always diss Golden for some reason. I think it's fine. A working town with timber mills, railway and highway transport services. I guess it's different if you know people. Rossland has been trading on its historic mining town vibe for a long time, but there's no real industry there anymore. Locals either subsist on ski season pickup work and EI, or commute down to Trail for work at the smelter.

FNM likes this.
  6. Crystal

absolutely would be a different vibe in Golden if you knew people. Speaking of Trail, it's a working industrial town but we liked it.

7. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting change happening at Panorama. Offering a relatively cheap "season pass" for cat skiing for 2019-20. Powder.com sounds excited about the new Monster X snowcat and terrain.

Canadian Resort Offers Unlimited Cat Skiing for $150 (CND!)
    The offer is part of Panorama Resort's 500-acre expansion this season

Prices below in CND $

FNM likes this.
  8. Crystal

love the skiing at Panorama..... Can be super nasty and steep. Great hill with a locals feel to it.

FNM likes this.
  9. FNM

FNM Early Days

I’ve sent an application off to Pano. The resort isn’t my preference (as opposed to a town job) but would like to head over knowing I have a job to walk into. Will also apply at Red and Fernie and see where I end up :)

Can’t really go wrong! So pumped.

#109 FNM, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    sly_karma likes this.
  10. sly_karma

Pano has a good bike park operation in summer too. Always enjoy my July visits there. Loads of XC riding as well all the gravity stuff.

FNM likes this.
  11. Old Hack

Old Hack Hard Yards

Rode Pano a couple of weeks ago, great park and so much fun. Will try to get there earlier next year before it gets dusty though!

12. sly_karma

All depends on recent rainfall. I've seen it dusty in late June.

13. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Best of luck with your applications. You'll have fun in whatever town you end up in.

There's always somewhere top get a quiet beer but not always somewhere to party with the opposite sex, (ie Kimberley Ha ha, sorry MB) if that's high on your list of priorities.

I've travelled and skied through most resorts from Banff to Whistler over many years. My pick would be Nelson. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of seasons in Lake Louise and that was a blast. Would be more than happy at Rossland. Done Revvie for a few months, AOK. Spent lots of time in Kimberley and it's OK but limited nightlife. Love Banff. Fernie is good but most of my time was on mountain, so didn't get into the town life too much. Decent Aussie contingent there now.

I'm jealous.

FNM likes this.
  14. FNM

FNM Early Days

Yeah thanks! ...and it's nice to hear that you've experienced and loved many of the resorts! I'm very excited. We fly out in 11 days (been waiting about 18 months for this)!! It's been a crazy time packing up our lives in NSW and getting our important possessions back into our folks' garage in Vic. Now we can turn our attention to getting organised for Canada (looking at cars, contacting landlords and agents, skis are on their way)!

If I were ranking where I think we're most likely to end up (ie, where we'll most likely focus our initial efforts, while keeping an open-mind!), I'd probably still be going:

- Invermere/Panorama at #1 (Location main drawcard (within reach (1.5-2hrs) of many other resorts and only 20 mins to Banff NP), quality and relatively quiet mountain, -ve: not much going on in Invermere, jobs?)
    - Penticton (has made a late charge up the rankings! My main concern here is the 45 minute drive to Apex, but it's definitely a real option for us now) (beautiful region, lovely and lively larger town with lots of activities on offer - thanks Sly!)
    - Nelson/Whitewater (lively town that definitely appeals to us, more options away from mountain, -ve: we're not backcountry skiers so terrain may be unsuitable)
    - Rossland/Red (charming town and quality mountain, -ve: remote)
    - Sun Peaks
    - Banff
    - Fernie
    - Revvie

It's funny - Revvie started out as number one but then slipped for various reasons - work, housing etc.

All that being said, we don't really know what we're in for at any of these places so could easily end up at any of them, or somewhere else again! Fun times ahead! :)

#114 FNM, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    sly_karma and Pademelon like this.
  15. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Penticton is a good call but I wouldn’t discount Nelson/Whitewater based on backcountry versus piste. Even if I were a beginner knowing what I know, about Canada I would choose Nelson.

Telemark Phat, sly_karma and FNM like this.
  16. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Agreed, a month of riding anywhere and you should be able to tackle most of the inbounds stuff. It's good to have some gnarly goals too :D

17. FNM

FNM Early Days

It wasn’t so much the difficulty but more the variety/size of terrain .. a couple of people have said that there might not be enough there to keep one interested for an entire season? But then I guess the flip side is that Nelson is there to enjoy as well.

A Canadian friend of ours reckons we’ll end up in Nelson. I’d say it’s a pretty good chance of happening. I hear that it’s regarded as the Byron Bay of Canada, which is where I’ve spent most of my last 10 years.. I’ve been tired of Byron for a while now, but I think the Canadian version would still be a great place to be! :)

DPS Driver likes this.
  18. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've just come back from 3 weeks in BC and Alberta, and spent most nights in ski resorts/towns. Ok, so not winter, but I was still able to get a feel for where I'd like to live if I was ever there for a couple of years. As far as the biggest tourist towns (read better work prospects for those working in hospitality), I'd much prefer the real town of Banff over Whistler. Banff is only about 8 blocks and once you get away from Banff Ave and Downtown it's a town I really liked, particularly staying a few blocks from downtown in the eastern part of town. I was able to snaffle a nice B & B for only $60 a night :eek:, but imagine getting quality long term housing there is difficult and expensive. Oh yeah, and to live there in winter you'd want to like the cold..the very cold.

Three hours drive away on the other side of the mountains is a warmer winter town, Revelstoke was my favourite smaller place. A compact historic town with a very nice central area with a great feel to it. Some great recently opened bars in town and it had a progressive feel to it, probably to do with the ambitious plans for the ski resort expansion....but watch out for the laundromat there..it shrunk my shirts LOL

DPS Driver and FNM like this.
  19. FNM

FNM Early Days

A little update on where we're at.

We fly out tomorrow - Melbourne to Vancouver. We settled on Invermere/Panorama. Using Kijiji (Canada's Gumtree equivalent), I was able to keep a close eye on property rentals. I also joined the Facebook groups relevant to property rentals in Invermere as well as looking at local real estate websites. We found a nice house on Kijiji, had a bit of back-and-forth with the owner, a little FaceTime and it is now ours. We take over the lease Nov 1st for 6 months. That has allowed us to buy our season pass so we save $160 there. The owner of the house is a Calgarian who uses it for a summer holiday house. She spoke glowingly of Invermere as a town - gave us pointers on where to find work and the like. Also said we will have no trouble finding work. Very exciting to have a house to walk into.

My thinking at this stage, which of course could all change at anytime, is that I'll move to Penticton for the summer.

I've also been using Kijiji and Autotrader.ca to keep an eye on cars. We have one lined up, pending inspection, on Vancouver Island (we are a few days in Van Island regardless as we are visiting family there). Plan is to take a few days driving to Invermere so that we can sightsee along the way - Whistler, Kamloops, Clearwater, Penticton, Nelson etc - might involve a bit of backtracking. Temperatures at the moment are lows in the low negatives, highs in the high single digits.

Serving It Right is the equivalent of the Vic RSA - we've got that organised so that we can start applying for jobs as soon as we get there.

Now it's on to travel insurance. What I'm discovering is that travel insurance for a ski holiday sucks so much! ... I think AAMI only does 6 months so we're looking at Bupa Global. It all looked pretty decent with Bupa and then I realised I was looking at USD. With Medical and Non-Medical (personal liability for property and bodily damage), we're looking at around $3300 ... Not sure I can afford that .. We could go medical only, which would come in at around $2400 ... I'm willing to pay that for good off-piste cover (ie, allowed to ski without a guide) and with backcountry (whether or not it has to be with a guide). Am worried about personal liability though.... 1Cover is ok for off-piste, but then doesn't seem to cover backcountry at all, regardless of whether with a professional or not and has no search and rescue (I think that only applies to out of bounds) .. Same for iTrek. I spoke to AIG and they said they only cove off-piste when with a commercial operator and that was the same as Good To Go even with their winter sports pack. Down Under Insurance (DU) doesn't cover off-piste even with there IEC policy + winter pack ... What a PITA. I'm going to sit on it for a few hours and see if I can bring myself to pay $3300 with Bupa Global for peace of mind - though I still need to confirm with them exactly what is covered and can't call at the moment due to time difference.

Aside from the Insurance, super pumped. It has come around so quickly the last few weeks. Still very disorganised but about to start packing. Anything else I pick up on the way that might be useful to others, I will include in time!

Chalkie and sly_karma like this.
  20. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    Fastcover - we used them for our 2 years away as a family. I just double checked - they will cover you for off piste and I did a dummy quote for a single 25 year old with ski pack inc for `12 months and it was just over $1500. You can extend into a second year if needed as well.

Have an awesome time! Did the same thing 30 years ago

sly_karma, DPS Driver and FNM like this.
  21. FNM

FNM Early Days

Thanks for the tip. It did look good but it has the same condition as many others - must be with a licensed instructor. D'oh!!

22. Summit

The Columbia Valley is a very nice part of the world. Spent a couple of nights in Radium Springs in September. Drop into the Horsethief Creek Pub for a beer.

FNM likes this.
  23. Summit

Also spent two nights in Panorama, and here's two more fine establishments. Found out from the locals that Panorama basically shuts up from late September until early December.

Earl Grey Smokehouse
    [​IMG]

Cliffhanger Restaurant

[​IMG]

whether and FNM like this.
  24. FNM

FNM Early Days

Epic!! Thanks for the pics!!

25. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Have a great time.

You'll love it.

FNM likes this.
  26. sly_karma

Had some excellent meals in there the last couple summers.

27. Summit

With the closure of the golf course about this time of the year, I had a google and confirmed it is open in winter. Quite a distance from the compact town centre with most of the accommodation.

28. sly_karma

The helicopter ski operation uses the golf course area during winter so it's not totally isolated. Plus a lot of private homes in that area too.

Summit likes this.
  29. FNM

FNM Early Days

Currently on the flight from Auckland to Vancouver .. 10hrs to go!! Ran out of time to keep digging travel insurance so went with 1Cover (adding winter pack) .. it covers off-piste and my understanding is they’ll rescue as long as in-bounds, so it works fairly well for us. Bupa Global got back to me and said they follow the rules of the mountain - if skiing off-piste is allowed, then they’ll cover it but if not, they won’t. Was a bit late for me to suss those details. Had I had more funds, I probably would have gone Bupa Global + Non-medical ... going only medical is a reasonable price (~2600) but I wanted personal liability protection, which isn’t included without adding non-medical. 1Cover + winter pack came in at around $1750 (and includes personal liability cover). Not certain that it was the best option, but had to pull the trigger!

30. FNM

FNM Early Days

Currently enjoying a Overtime Brown Ale at Pedal & Tap! It is a nice town and definitely has a friendly vibe. Thinking about it for summer!