1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Where to purchase kids snowsuit?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by arris40, Jul 21, 2008.

1. arris40

arris40 First Runs

We are travelling to Falls Creek in 2 weeks time for 7 days on the snow. We have a nearly 3 year old for whom we need to purchase a snowsuit for. Have been following ebay, but nothing really leading up to this point. Is there anywhere we could purchase a snowsuit either in Melbourne or on the run to Falls Creek for a bargain? Cheers

2. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I would check out AJAYS in heathmont, make sure you get a good one as if the kids are cold, the day is done. Also it will most likely be good for a couple of seasons if you get the right size

3. arris40

arris40 First Runs

In your experience, if it is too big by one size, does the cold still affect them?

4. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Better bigger than smaller. I just gave about 6 snowsuits, all Obermeyer to the Salvos in Inkerman St St Kilda. They were bigger than 3 year olds though. They ranged from 5 to 14. If you can't find anything at the recycle shops in Hampton or Canterbury Rd Surrey Hills, Victoria market has some cheap snow stuff for snow play.

5. arris40

arris40 First Runs

What do you suggest is a reasonable or 'cheap' price for a quality (used) snow suit - would you agree with my research of around $60 to $70?

6. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

You should get used snowsuits for around $50

7. I.P. Freely

I.P. Freely First Runs

As a last point of call - Vinnies at Mt Beauty (or Wodonga) usually have some gear. We picked some up last year at Aldi - kids didn't complain.

Unless you are making a habit of it - go for some hire gear as kids do grow out of it quite quickly.

8. arris40

arris40 First Runs

We are hoping to make a habit of this and just didn't want the hassel of having to return gear by a certain time. Thanks for that info, really appreciate it.

9. Crystal

Go one size bigger if you plan to ski often, but get them to try them on and make sure they are not to long in the leg. Yes if they are to big, they may get cold...so becareful.

Buy good stuff though, or you'll be upset when the kids are done at 10am.

10. arris40

arris40 First Runs

Just one more question about dressing kids for the cold - (we are in Cairns, FNQ so need some advice). Would it be adequate to dress kids in a layer of thermals, then a polar tracksuit, then ski suit? Would that be the norm? Also do they need to wear gloves under their mittens? We want to get off to an excellent first time snow experience. Ta!

11. ads69

ads69 Hard Yards

Dress in multiple layers so you can add or take off as required. I usually just put my girls (now 8&5 / this years their 3rd year skiing) in a set of thermals and a skivie under their suit which have no vents so they don't over heat. Any other layers you might need in case it gets a bit nasty you can carry in a back pack or if they are in ski school just fold it and tuck it in the back of their suit. I say no to the gloves under mitts as skin on skin will keep their hands warmer if they get wet/cold also don't worry about tucking their thumb in so it isn't isolated as such. A spare pair of mitts wouldn't go amiss. Neck warmers are a must, again they can be tucked into their suit if not required. Also the suits I got my girls have a set of stitching on the arms and legs which when unpicked extends the length by an inch or two, good for the future. Good luck, have fun and be prepared for the "when are we going again" questions the day you leave for home...

12. Crystal

ditto, all of above.

I found also a spare pair of clothes at the end of the day helps if you are in for a bit of a drive home...even down to the undies as sometimes the little ones can get wet.

13. ads69

ads69 Hard Yards

Good point on the undies Crystal! I have put them in those pull up older kid nappies as they are used to being in an environment where you can go to the toilet easily when you want to, instead of a mammoth effort just to reach one let alone the balancing act of getting out of their suits and layers. Dry kid is a happy kid.

14. Crystal

yup [​IMG]

#14 Crystal, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013