1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Where to take kids to play? make snowmen, use Toboggan?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Balthazar, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Balthazar

Balthazar First Runs

Hi Guys,

My Wife and two kids (4 and 2 years) are heading down for a snow vacation from Sep 4-11 and although we have a pair of ski's to try for my 4 year old im guessing the majority of our time will be spent playing rather than boarding (execept when i can sneak away and head up the mountain on my own).

This is the first time in many years i have boarded in Australia (Normally head to Mt Hutt) and the first time in Thredbo.

Would love to know where the best place (close to the village - we are staying in sequoia apartments) is to take the kids to play and toboggan (i know some ski fields ban this in lift and run area's)

Any help is appreciated.

2. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

Theres a tiny toboggan area next to (just north of) the Friday flat ticket office at Thredbo. Toboggans are banned in all other spots?.

Alternatively you can drive further up the valley to Dead Horse Gap and you will find a few clear areas on the side of the road which may have snow on it, and where the kids can play without any other traffic/people

3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

That is the one thing I find sad about Thredbo, although it isn't really an issue for us as a family of 6 proficient boarders we are not looking to be tobogganing when we go...
    BUT we do like to take n00bies with us and introduce them to the whole snow experience, and there just isn't the facilities for it.
    I like the Perisher tubes, and the area's either side of it, as kids can practice their ski/board skills and walk back up the slope, they can toboggan and they can BYO tubes. They can make snowmen and have snowball fights. And they can use the fast and fun paid tubing track.
    Also enjoyed Falls Creek tubes, but ti wasn't nearly as exciting as the Perisher one.

I have begun to recommend Perisher/Smiggins as a destination for young families with kids wanting snowplay over Thredbo - much as I feel like Thredbo is my spiritual home now.

4. choc

choc One of Us

As mentioned above, Dead Horse Gap is a 2 minute drive up the road and is perfect for snowplay.

5. Balthazar

Balthazar First Runs

Up the road Friday flat direction or Crackenback Ridge direction?

6. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Dead horse gap is the nicest spot (pack a picnic lunch [​IMG] ). With this much snow, riverside down opposite the bus stop/Thredbo Apartments is great too, with a nice slope for littlies.

Sequoia is not too far from Village Green as well (take stairs down besides Rainbow/Byadbo lodge duplex).

#6 sastrugi, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. loweee

loweee One of Us

At the moment just a couple of minutes drive through thredbo and you will fins som e ok areas.

Normally if you were staying in Jindabyne and asked the same question I would say drive to smiggins.