1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Which Canadian Town would you immigrate to?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by webberchoked, Oct 9, 2016.

1. webberchoked

webberchoked Hard Yards

My wife and I are looking at immigrating to Canada and are researching options on where we'd like to live.
    I am only familiar with Whistler/Squamish having spent 2 winters and 1 summer there. I do like the place and likely will start there as I am familiar with the area but I would prefer somewhere smaller, less touristy, with better snow quality and cheaper.
    I did a road trip through Kamloops, Revelstoke, Golden, and Banff. These are the only other places I've seen. I liked the town of Banff the most.
    Some criteria would be:
    Good backcountry skiing for me
    30 minutes from a small/medium sized ski resort for her
    Good climbing/hiking
    Affordable housing
    Smaller town

Suggestions?

Chowder11 likes this.
  2. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Do ya need to work?

3. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Hard Yards

Nelson would tick your boxes

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Any town in the Okanagan. Kamloops, Kelowna, Vernon, Penticton ...

Or Fernie

5. cookieman

cookieman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

canmore.
    a few full time aussies already there.
    adventure centre of that region.
    very cold in winter.

Ozgirl likes this.
  6. webberchoked

webberchoked Hard Yards

any part time work would be fine for me

7. qwill

qwill Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

You will emigrate to Canada.
    You will then be an immigrant.
    #justsayin
    #pedantmode

8. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sun Peaks?

:out:

9. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

You have to work in Banff or the National Park to live there...
    Kamloops or Kelowna IMO

10. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

Penticton. Good wines for the bonus.

11. benchives

benchives I forgot how to ski Ski Pass: Gold

Heard many good things about nelson as a place to live

12. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo

This. ^^

As with any relocation. How will you finance it ? What fields you and your wife work in, will have an enormous impact on location, unless you are not planning to work.

13. vibe++

vibe++ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Dont you have to be sponsored by an employer or start your own business to emigrate to canada?

14. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Wouldn't look at Banff as a place to live, especially if you want to stay off the tourist trail. Its up there in terms of the most touristy place in the Canadian rockies.

Pemberton has amazing backcountry skiing close but you pretty much restricted to skiing Whistler in terms of resort skiing anywhere close by.

Few have asked, but what it the intended working arrangements? That would make a massive difference.
    Kelowna would be a nice medium size town with employment opportunities, then you have good backcountry skiing then Big White, Silverstar and Apex all within 30min - 2 hrs drive. Plus the lake in Summer would provide plenty of summer activities.

skifree likes this.
  15. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Fernie
    Rossland

Both Fernie and Rossland have fibre cable internet already in or going in soon. Good if you need to stay connected for work.

16. webberchoked

webberchoked Hard Yards

Wife will work fulltime, she will get PR and I come along as spouse. I only need/want part time minimum wage type work which I'm assuming wont be an issue in most towns.

17. teckel

teckel Not a Loser Ski Pass: Gold

Well, what sort of work does she do? Which industry?

18. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

They've all been mentioned, but if you're serious about good backcountry skiing - it would have to be:
    Squamish/whistler/Pemberton
    Revelstoke
    Golden (most central between above and below allowing for great options - but crap town)
    Field/Banff/Canmore
    Jasper - not as versatile an option
    Nelson (buy a sled) - not as good an option
    Fernie (buy a sled) - not as good an option

Better to place yourself within striking range of the world class backcountry access from rogers pass and/or icefields parkway or on the coast.

Just look at a map of the mountain ranges in Canada. If you had a choice of anywhere, I'm not sure why you would be voluntarily placing yourself in the central plateau (Kelowna, vernon, penticton et al)

piolet and Zeroz like this.
  19. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Vancouver Island is an outdoor paradise. Skiing, hiking, kayaking, surfing. Probably around Comox would suit if you like small towns.
    Rossland is a pretty little town with Red just up the end of town.
    Penticton ticks a lot of boxes for winter and summer as well.

Piste Again likes this.
  20. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

This
    Plus summer in the bugaboos

21. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This! Better climate than the rest :) And you have Mt Washington right there.

22. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Staying the **** at home. Ski Pass: Gold

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
    :headbang::headbang::headbang::axe::axe::axe:

23. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

24. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Canmore for you...if it was us, both need work in industry and science/UBC it would be Kelowna.

25. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Invermere, Rossland, Jasper

26. Ralph_implement

Ralph_implement A Local

I think the key message here is......anywhere!

27. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

heheheheeee pretty much. rent a house and move about :D

28. webberchoked

webberchoked Hard Yards

thanks for the responses everyone.
    Its great to get some names of towns I can check out.

29. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Very expensive housing. Very.

30. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It's fishing nirvana too. Not the driest snowpack though, but it sure can dump.

31. sly_karma

For a backcountry fan looking for a smaller town, I'd be thinking Rossland, Nelson, Invermere, Pemberton, Golden, Revelstoke, Sicamous, Fernie, Smithers. Slightly bigger towns like Squamish, Penticton, Cranbrook offer more facilities, more employment, better access to larger population centres and other travel opportunities.

Penticton and Apex have been good to me these past 28 years. As I made the long transition from ski bum to tradie to self employed contractor, contacts made at the resort served me well. Putting in your time and becoming a local at the ski hill will also draw you into the larger community in town (although you'll be amazed how many Canadians don't ski). Penticton is a tourist mecca for good reason, the combination of near-desert climate coupled with big lakes and sandy beaches is unusual and hard to resist. Opportunities for outdoor adventure both on land and water are everywhere: mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking, road cycling, quad/dirt bike riding, hunting, sledding, XC skiing, alpine skiing, sidecountry skiing, camping, fishing, boating, water skiing/wake boarding, sailing, kayaking. All of these are popular in and around the town. Apex is a 30 minute drive, so are 100 or so wineries, along with the food and culture scene that goes with a busy wine industry.

Other than the wineries part, you could pretty much say the same for Squamish. Outdoor recreation everywhere you look. The back country skiing and sledding is world class, a lifetime of big mountain lines to explore. Rock climbers paradise. White water kayaking/canoeing. Salt water boating/fishing/scuba, access to the incredible inside passage waterways right there - a lifetime of summer boat exploration. Whistler is half an hour away, downtown Vancouver under an hour along the massively improved Sea to Sky hwy. Housing prices well less than the city or Whistler. There's good reasons why Squamish is not just a playground for the young and sporty, but a home as well.

Good luck, wherever this life takes you!

webberchoked and piolet like this.
  32. Marty_McSly

The Santa Fe of BC? If I had the opportunity to live in Trumpistan, Santa Fe would be on my shortlist. Sounds like Penticton should be on my Canadian short list. ;)

33. Marty_McSly

Are any parts of Canada prone to any of the dramas they have further south, tornadoes, earthquakes etc?

34. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Western Canada - earthquakes and floods and bushfires

35. sly_karma

Southern Ontario gets a few tornadoes as well. Plus ice storms and a generally nastier winter than west of the Rockies.

Coastal BC is part of the Cascadia Subduction Zone, making it prone to seismic activity like Seattle and all of west coast US. Mt Baker, despite being one of the snowiest places on the planet, is the second most active volcano in the Cascades after Mt St Helens. It's only 50 km from the coast just south of the border and can be clearly seen from most of the metro Vancouver area. The last major earthquake in the region was back in 1700, so they're coming due for another big one. BC spends a lot of money on seismic upgrades to buildings and infrastructure and runs regular earthquake preparedness drills.

Hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons only affect the west coast indirectly, in the form of intense rain/wind storms such as the series that hit this weekend. The truly destructive aspects of cyclonic storms are negated by the massive coastal mountains and the storms break down whilst still out to sea. That leaves heavy rainfall and rapid flooding to deal with. West Coast Vancouver Island locations can experience daily rainfalls of 400+ mm and the creek blowouts that come with it. The big lakes in the interior mostly have flood control weirs on them to reduce the high and low level fluctuations that used to occur. Large-area cross country flooding such as inland Australia experiences doesn't really happen in BC because it's mostly mountain country. They do experience that to the east of the Rockies, however. The prairies are susceptible to this and most large towns and cities have extensive flood levee systems.

Inland BC is blessedly free of most natural disasters. We get the occasional mag 3 earth tremor, nothing to worry about there as we're hundreds of km from the slip zones at the coast. Occasionally we might get a localised torrential downpour that produces a mudslide or flash flooding. Avalanches do affect some highways and railways, but control work is well funded and carried out with diligence. Recreational avalanche deaths average 12 persons per year.

The most present natural disaster risk is bushfire. The Okanagan Valley - the hottest and most heavily populated interior region - seems to average one major fire per decade. 'Major' to me means loss of dozens of homes and multi-week suppression effort. The fires can be serious but their frequency is less compared to Australia.

36. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

We have friends on the island, living in Victoria. Ironically it's probably quicker to hop a ferry and ski on the mainland than it is to drive up to Mt Washington. Victoria is a nice city - big enough for plenty of employment but bugger-all traffic, not much highrise and a great climate. I could live there.

37. BoofHead

Also love Victoria. I could live there. Bit of a hike to ski though. 3hrs to MtW. Would be a stretch to ski on the mainland quicker though. 1.5hrs to Nanaimo ferry and then the crossing. Vancouver hills would come close but those hills are ordinary compared to Washington and then you have the ferry cost.

38. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yeah Victoria is lovely but not great for snow access, if it was me I'd pick something like Campbell River (Comox area has already been mentioned too), it's the aforementioned fishing nirvana, and much better snow access. Good access to ferries from Nanaimo too.

39. BoofHead

yep. not too far to drive to Port Alberni to stock up on humungous sockeye for the Winter.

40. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yep Canmore - I moved there from Banff mid summer.

Banff is in a NAtional Park so PITA for a long term resident, home buyer. And even renter as accom is in short supply.

41. sly_karma

The mid-island strip from Nanaimo to Courtenay/Comox has seen a lot of growth in recent years. Housing prices are reasonable, lots of water frontage, good multi-lane highway to Victoria, ferries and up island, easy to get to Mt Washington or Port Alberni/Ucluelet/Tofino for west coast access. You don't need a huge fancy boat, just a trailerable one because it's so easy to drive close to great fishing and cruising locations. There is plenty of backcountry snow to explore in winter, but really only one good alpine resort option. Washington can get pretty crowded.

42. BoofHead

Yep. A huge expansion in Nanaimo where I was based there pre-gfc, fuelled by retirees from the mainland and Britian looking for a more temperate climate I believe.
    Traditionally known as "the armpit of the Island" but some very nice areas springing up. Old Nanaimo was just starting the gentrification process.

43. BoofHead

we had earthquake drills and earthquake kits in all classrooms. Vancouver Island.

44. sly_karma

There's a huge annual earthquake drill coming up on October 20 called Shakeout BC. Some lessons were learnt in 2001 when Seattle had an M7 quake, but general opinion is awareness and preparedness are still fairly low in the BC coast regions. Good news is infrastructure and building codes have been seismic aware for three decades or more, and upgrading work has been ongoing. BC should come through a big shake fairly well on that front like Seattle did 15 years ago. (Wow that seems like a long time ago!)

45. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Winnipeg.

Only kidding if it were me. Nelson, then Revelstoke, then Kelowna, then Penticton & then Canmore. if you want micro town, I have a soft spot for Field.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  46. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

This

You could do a lot worse than this strip.
    Lots of options for living inexpensively along here. lots of townships close by
    Mild climate. Good living.
    Whistler just a ferry away.
    Vancouver just a 20 min DeHavilland Beaver away.
    Mount Washington just up the road. Like most, peak times it can be busy. But on an average weekend, good.

47. sly_karma

It works for many. The coast is too wet for me to want to live there all year, although I love playing there in the summer. The costs and restrictions imposed by the ferry system could be a drag for some, although for most people those costs and restrictions are more imagined than real.

48. dm8

dm8 Hard Yards

Nelson.. Whitewater, what a resort!!!!

Seriously though, not a bad little town.

49. sly_karma

If you like the hippie groove, Nelson has a lot going for it. Great food and music scene, killer bike mtn trails and boating in summer.

50. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture