Question Which Canterbury field handles the wind the best?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by windy, Jul 8, 2018.

1. windy

windy Hard Yards

Last year I did skied at some of the Canterbury fields (Mt Hutt and Porters) for 4 days and we got kinda lucky that we didn't really have any days when the wind was a big problem. We had one day where we though Mt Hutt might close so we went to Porters instead. On that day Mt Hutt closed the Six chair to the top but left the Quad open, not sure about the triple. Porters had the whole Mountain open in the morning but by the afternoon had closed down everything but the chairlift.

So my question is which mountain in Canterbury is the better option when there is wind on the forecast and there is the potential of them closing down some or all of the mountain? Which mountain has the better lower half when the lifts can't run to the top? I know I wasn't super impressed by the terrain serviced by the chairlift at Porters but on the same day if you went to Mt Hutt the you only had the quad which isn't super impressive either.

Anyways, I was heading back this year and just wanted to know my options when the forecast is for wind. Thoughts?

2. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Mt Olympus???

Simon Guild likes this.
  3. johnski

johnski Hard Yards

If you’re just comparing hutt vs porters, can’t help, if you’re talking about hutt vs the clubbies...

Depends which way the wind is blowing. Olympus and broken river do well when blowing from in NW, if also a nw storm then TB, BR or O.
    Southerlies depends how strong but generally ok at most of the clubbies, southerly cold storm can deliver the goods.

windy likes this.
  4. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

If youre worried about lift closures, Cheeseman, Olympus, BR and Craigieburn all have surface lifts so wind hold tends to not be an issue. Hutts Issue is that the top is very very exposed, putting that 6 to ridgeline was a bit of a mistake as its actually the windiest recorded place in NZ!

soza, Ziggy and windy like this.
  5. windy

windy Hard Yards

Hmm that's interesting, I've always wondered why more NZ lifs didn't go all the way to the top of mountains and instead leave about 100m of vertical on the table. I suppose it also has a bit to do with the amount of room there is at the top as well. Some peaks don't have the space for a lift.

6. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

As we are in the "Roaring Forties" wind is a constant here, and with wind and a maritime climate comes Rime Ice. For exposed mountains like Ruapehu its every where but in the south island its usually ridgelines that get hammered with the winds, and the rime ice. Geologically, the rock on most ridges is pretty terrible too.

BoofHead and essjaywhy like this.
  7. soza

soza Addicted

Bit further south and may be no good depending where your based but we found that last season the days Hutt, Fox or Dobson was closed due to wind then roundhill was the go. The rope tow goes up above 2000m and will often close due to the wind but the main T`s (and all the groomed runs) tend to run all season.

windy likes this.