1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Which club?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by SharpShard, Dec 17, 2020.

1. SharpShard

SharpShard Hard Yards

Hi everyone.
    Thinking of joining a cross country club. I’m in NSW, so the Nordic Club seems the most obvious. Only a beginner classic skier. Possible trip to Vic also planned. So...which club/clubs are the most appropriate? Thanks.

2. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

3. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Look at illawong.

SharpShard and Chaeron like this.
  4. Ian

Ian One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The Canberra Cross Country Ski Club cccsc.asn.au used to run a number of ski trips suitable for beginners. But their activities are severely restricted by COVID. The Nordic Ski Club do the same www.nordicskiclub.org.au.

SharpShard likes this.
  5. Ubiquitous Steve

Do some long day trips from Falls Ck.and if you can go for a summer recce along some of the route even better.Then you are sure to meet up with others and follow on from there into more extensive touring

6. SharpShard

SharpShard Hard Yards

I have the
    Nordic Ski Club form downloaded. Might get onto that for 2021. Thanks.

7. SharpShard

SharpShard Hard Yards

Do they have a club? Can you use their facilities if not a member (day shelters etc.)? We are only beginners, and living in NSW, so sadly a summer recce is not possible. Looking to transition husbands worsening hips from snowboarding to classic skiing. I’m familiar with Falls, though not their cc facilities.

8. Ubiquitous Steve

There is a day shelter in Windy Corner Carpark that x crountry skiers can use.....they will list trail conditions,grooming status and expected weather conditions.They have a XC ski hire here and a coffee shop too..Windy Corner is the highest day carpark.....The road to the Dam has a barrier at this point so one can start to tour from this point in Falls Ck.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  9. Ubiquitous Steve

Many folk in this forum will offer you sound advice when they return from holidays .Others have more idea of ski clubs and their activities.

Most tourers will pass through Windy Corner as they head out across the dam wall or up to the Ruined Castle Section and thus out via Pretty Valley or Mt McKay.

Mr T has become very active on skis over the last couple of years and can give some tips on areas that can be covered on day trips away from the prepared trails surrounding the village.Many skiers will use the prepared trails to travel some of the initial tour to more remote parts.
    A new hut may be under consideration to replace the old weather board installation in Pretty Valley (a popular place for initial day trips or first overnight camping trips)

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

The OP can come XC skiing with me . I hope we will not be locked down again this winter. I plan to ski out to Wallace's hut , Fitzgerald hut , Tawonga Huts , The Fainters from Big Hill ........
    and then you have the huts at Mt. Stirling. Mt . Buffalo has great Nordic skiing when there is enough snow.I also XC ski at Lake Mtn., Baw Baw N.P. / Mt St. Gwinear, Dinner Plain to Hotham and back and at Perisher in NSW ( when there is no plague and there is enough snow).I could go on but the OP can PM me . I have made some ski buddies on this forum too :) such as @beefa skiing , @pegasusSki and others too.

#10 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  11. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Mt. Bogong's green/easy and intermediate/blue terrain is found mainly around Cleve Cole Hut and Camp valley. Access in winter is a major undertaking compared with BC access from Falls Creek or even from Trap yard Gap for the more adventurous. I am also looking at XC skiing out to Mt. Loch and Spargo's hut in the Mt. Hotham area. I must get my Nordic BC and classic XC ski legs back after the poor turn of events in 2020.
    I can recommend Falls Creek for all XC skiing. It is my favourite place for setting off for ski activities and it gives excellent easy access to the Bogong High Plains for some good BC XC ski day tours on planks away from groomed and patrolled terrain.