Question Which is better: working for the resort or working for a small business on-mountain?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by OREOS_31, Sep 18, 2018.

1. OREOS_31

OREOS_31 First Runs

I'm keen to work at Falls Creek during the 2019 snow season but I'm not sure whether I should aim to work for the resort as a liftie or something, or if I should aim to work for one of the businesses on the mountain (I have hospitality experience and could work as a bartender/waitress/kitchen hand/barista). So I was wondering: does anyone have any idea or insight for what would be the best way to go?

Which would be the better option for:
    -getting on-mountain staff accommodation.
    -meeting new people, making new friends and partying.
    -getting good hours and/or consistent work.
    -getting a decent amount of free time to ski/board.
    -getting staff perks such as discounts on food, rent, lift passes etc.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated :)

2. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

Save your dosh and do it OS.
    This is the biggest one. If you work for the resort don't expect to win here. If you want a free season pass then work for the resort.

Generally seasonnaires get looked after with 'staff discounts' around the traps, regardless of whether it's due to employment with the lift co.

Some background: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/Where-do-seasonnaires-want-to-work/

cin and Chaeron like this.
  3. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

"-meeting new people, making new friends and partying.
    -getting good hours and/or consistent work.
    -getting a decent amount of free time to ski/board."

Having worked 10 ski seasons in the dim dark past I can honestly say
    "None of the above"
    Well at least for your first season.
    Good hours and consistent work are mutually incompatible on the hill in my limited experience. Jobs with accommodation are often charged at the going union or tax office rate and this doesn't leave much money for beer. Some jobs do come with a lift pass but not as many as there used to be
    Staff discount helps but better to have all the gear already at end of season sales,
    It's usually pretty full on full time hard work with a day off a week, unless it's busy and you're needed to work overtime. Somebody is sick DITTO

4. Hully

Hully One of Us

IMO working for the Lift Co ticks alot of your boxes. I base this on working for a number of years for FCSL, as a mature person not looking for most of your criteria, but interacting with many young people and continuing to working for other organisations at Falls and spending a lot of days riding lifts. Many would disagree with me.
    I also know they invest a fair bit in training and employee welfare. I know as an employer I would look favorably at many of those from the FCSL employee stable.

5. OREOS_31

OREOS_31 First Runs

Does OS mean overseas? If so, which countries would you recommend?

6. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

Whichever area you end up working go out of your way to meet and be friends across the mountain, I only ever worked lift co across 9 seasons but had friends across many departments and also mountain staff, it’s very easy just to get caught up in your own department

Hully likes this.
  7. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Both options will drive you nuts, but if you go in relaxed and ready to not let any shit ruffle you’re off to a good start.

Expect that both options will expect you to work hard. Get into this pattern early & the season will lighten up.

currawong likes this.
  8. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us

I always worked for small businesses and it suited me as a chef ,either in hotels in France or restaurants/cafes in Oz , my first season in Australia was as the Chef at Winterhaven (Falls Creek) 25 years ago ,before settling down in the NSW ski resorts
    If you have experience in hospitality I would definitely try and get a job in a lodge or pub/restaurant that gives you plenty of time off during the day.
    For the first year it might be a bit hit and miss..
    From there try and look at opportunities for Overseas ,can you get a Euro passport ???
    or work visas for North America.
    It used to be easier if you were under 26 .

#8 WaitAwhile, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    OREOS_31 likes this.
  9. OREOS_31

OREOS_31 First Runs

What do you mean by that? Do you mean it will be boring, frustrating, too intense or something else?

Also I'm very prepared to work hard. It's kinda why I want a job with good hours - because I would like to have something to do.

10. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Very hard to define it’s a just be prepared for the unexpected and keep relaxed type of suggestion.

11. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Winterhaven 25 years ago? You probably cooked me a Pepper Steak

12. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room

We must have crossed paths, ate many times at Winterhaven or even drinks by the fire with mountain staff....Heinzy, Normie, John Cunningham and of course Johnny Grant.

13. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us

Yes OS = Overseas. As for which countries, I recommend all of them (the main candidates anyway i.e. Austria, Switz, France, Japan, USA, Canada, Italy). Whichever country/resort you choose OS you're guaranteed a better, longer ski season than 'Straya.

Personally, I like AUT, SUI, FRA the best but that doesn't diminish the others in any way...

Start by identifying which has attainable working rights for you, e.g. you have/can get a EU passport, you're a uni kid and can get a J1 visa in the USA, under-35 y.o for Canada etc

14. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

Best answer is probably a good small business. Worst answer is probably a bad small business.

Kitchenhand in a lodge that doesn't do lunch is not a bad gig. Much of the day is your own. Expect to have to help with other jobs, especially on changeover days.

OREOS_31 likes this.