1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed which place to ski at

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by lilybourn, Jun 25, 2019.

1. lilybourn

lilybourn First Runs

im heading into Queenstown for 11 nights. I'm wanting to go skiing for 6/7 of the days. I'm unsure what place to get passes at. I will have a car

I'm thinking 3 days at cardrona and 3 days at Coronet Peak and The Remarkables. or maybe just at one park.

I'm going in September so wanting one that will be the best

2. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Depends on your objectives. Do you want to sample and see what's around or do you just want to hit the snow.

If you're into adventure and want to compare resorts then go with the Cardrona and then the NZ Ski Pass. If you just want to hit the snow then don't bother with Cardrona. It's further to travel and there's nothing there from a skiing boarding perspective terrain wise that you couldn't replicate or beat with either CP or the Remarks.

lilybourn likes this.
  3. lilybourn

lilybourn First Runs

what one is nicer to snow board at?

4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

What level of snowboarder are you?

5. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Blessed are the bignoses Ski Pass: Gold

Depends also on your ability level. The Remarkables tends to have better quality snow IME (Coronet, aka "Concrete Peak"). Remarks also has some great steeps and chutes on the west side accessed from the Shadow Basin chair, but the intermediate terrain (Sugar Bowl etc.) can be a bit lame after a while. I haven't been there since they put in the Curvey Basin chair, so this might have changed a bit.
    Coronet Peak is basically one hill with a hundred ways down, but to me they all look the same after a while.
    Cardrona has some nice intermediate cruising terrain and some pretty serious steeps, but I'm not sure it's worth driving all that way. If you want an excursion and you're up for some real adventure, I would go a bit further to Treble Cone - a seriously big hill with some seriously serious terrain, as well as lots of cruisey stuff. The access road itself should be a black run.

lilybourn likes this.
  6. lilybourn

lilybourn First Runs

beginner

7. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Speaking of access roads, have you done any driving on NZ mountain roads? If yes, then all good. But if not, this could be a factor in your decision making. Coronet Peak is easy-pease, sealed all the way and no steep drop offs.The others have their pros and cons, with TC (as mentioned above) a special case. As a beginner, I would suggest starting at CP and also consider Cardrona. Give TC a miss.

Dumphfish and lilybourn like this.
  8. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Cardrona has the best beginner snowboarding terrain and lifts IMO...
    Though its a legit adventure from Queenstown.
    The crown range road ....is interesting.
    Especially with a bit of ice and snow.

Mind you the pub is choice as.

Dumphfish likes this.
  9. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah i've had more moments on the crown range road (to get to Cardrona turnoff from Queenstown, than the actual Cardies road.)

10. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Personally id just hit up remarks. if you are going it alone it would probably just be easier to get the bus anyway. atleast that way you can enjoy some apres before getting to town in the dark!

11. KL.

KL. One of Us

sounds like the best choice although on the one snow pass you can board both Remarks and CP... enjoy

12. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Blessed are the bignoses Ski Pass: Gold

I agree with him.

crackson and Red_switch like this.
  13. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

My situation is a little different, in that I travel to Queenstown with my family. We go to The Remarkables for two reasons: 1. It’s close to Queenstown, and 2. NZ Ski offers adaptive-trained instructors/lessons from there, which we need for our younger son who has autism.

I’ve been to Remarks twice so far, and will be over there again in a couple of weeks. I’ve gone from a comfortable beginner to a cautious intermediate skier in that time, and I like the set-up at Remarks. They have two magic carpets set up side-by-side which give access to the beginner slope. The top of the carpets is also located near the chair lift that gives access to one of the green runs. From what I’ve seen online, they’ve also added another magic carpet this year that extends the length of the beginner run.

Depending on how much of a beginner you are, it could be worth looking at NZ Ski’s Beginner to Snow package. From memory, it includes 4 or 5 days of lift passes, lessons and equipment hire. The first day only gives access to the beginner area though, so no chair lift access.

14. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

If you're based in Qtown don't really need a car? Catch the bus. Cardies is best if you're a beginner.

15. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Being a beginner, the nuances of each resort will essentially be lost on you. get up to The Remarks or Coronet Peak, don't worry about Cardrona.
    The drive is easy these days, it's like a highway, don't sweat it. Or the bus as Draizuh suggested if you want to mix drinking with boarding.

16. Alanwonsky

Alanwonsky First Runs

I have just come back from Queenstown. I am also beginner.I skiied 6 days. (I am a skier) I didn't drive (I took hotel pickup mountain transfer bus) because I don't know how to drive in snowy road and I don't know how to use snow chain.

I skiied Coronet Peaks and Remarkables. Coronet Peaks is only 0.5hour bus drive so you've got more time for skiing. However people say it doesn't have much snow as Remarks. One day I saw snow guns operating in Coronet Peaks. Remarks is cooler but takes longer time (45 mins quickest) to arrive. However, if you go to ski green run, you have to go through a pretty slow 'tube' before you can take chairlift to Alta green run. Remember, don't ski past the Alta chairlift when you ski down otherwise you have to go through the slow tube at the base again.

With NZ Ski Pass you can go to both mountains. I would avoid Sat and Sun because there are many people lining up. I wouldn't suggest you skiing 6 or 7 days in a row. Take some rest in the middle (such as Sat and Sun :p)