Which plane has the best business class

Discussion in 'Flights' started by chicski, Mar 13, 2018.

1. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

sports after doing some more credit card churning, I now have enough QFF points to get business class seats to/from USA next year. Having only ever flown cattle class, I want to choose the best experience. From Canberra I can choose via Sydney (747), Melbourne or Brisbane (either A380 or 787). I'm leaning towards the 787. Thoughts from those with experience in the pointy end?

2. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Not done 787 but A380 Qantas or Emirates are both v good.

qwill and chicski like this.
  3. person s

person s Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

so it has to be Qantas or can you book with another oneworld airline?
    if available I’d go with Cathay

4. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Costs a lot more points on Cathay. Have only got enough for Qantas. 136k vs 96k

5. Slalom

Slalom A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

We're doing an A330-300 Syd - Honolulu in May and have applied for business upgrade both ways.
    Hoping to get lucky at least on one leg.

6. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I think with my lowly bronze membership, the chance of an upgrade is slim. I think buying the flight with points is my best bet.

7. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

@chicski ...... I’ve flown globally multiple times on business and some first, primarily due to work. It always beats the other options. Try and book 11 and a bit months out to optimise your chance of securing the seats. Regardless of the airline, you will enjoy the experience. I’ve always found Qantas to be a good option. Cathy is fine as are most of the others. If it’s One World, you might book Qantas and end up on one of the partners in any case... it does happen. Good luck.

8. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

With my lowly status, apparently business is released 303 days prior. There are flights on 16/1/19 right now. So based on that I have another month to go before late Feb flights are out. Just planning and watching for now.

piolet likes this.
  9. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

Go for it! I’m feeling very jealous ...

10. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

You need to be onto it from the getgo.

My status is not much better nowadays as I try and avoid flying.

11. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Only possible because I’m going solo :D

Lady Penelope likes this.
  12. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

Big fan of the a380 biz class, very quiet and spacious, loads of room.

787 I'm sure will be nice too, newer seat may be a bit more flasherer? Not sure on the space feel as I've only walked through the cabin.

luvthabumps, mx_boarder and dibloc like this.
  13. fugazi

fugazi First Runs

I agree, me too! a380 business class is pretty pretty good :)

14. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

Good reckoning on the points utilisation @chicski.

The A380 is 2-2-2 across so on the window you need to hop over the seat/bed next to you to get to aisle and so can bump neighbour or be bumped. I did a window seat using QFF points and it was Ok but pick a middle seat and no problems.

I think the B787 layout is a staggered 1-2-1 arrangement (in a much narrower aircraft). Every seat has direct aisle access and in mini-suite cubicle. So there is more privacy. I did Haneda to Sydney in such a configuration on ANA and found it to be a tad claustrophobic and the bed at 20" was no wider than an economy seat on Qantas A380s, having to stick my arm under the seat belt to stop it falling down the side against the cold side of cabin.

On the A380 one is in the egg shell type semi capsule which is quite adequate but leaves a feeling of spaciousness.

A slght digression is that Qantas do late departure overnight flights quite well in that they do a light supper after takoff then a decent breakfast whereas ANA kept everyone awake in hospital theatre white light conditions for about 3 hours before doing a dinner and no breakfast. Just awful, so that might colour my memory of the experience.

It is a shame about CX burning more points as the reverse herringbone configuration in their business was very spacious on the B777 and the service very good too.

I suspect there will be no need to choose between B787 or A380 as QFF seats in Business on a Qantas tail are very scarce so it will be a question of taking what is there. Trouble is often times what is there is only CX, or maybe an ultra long route on other partner airlines even via London.

However if you have been watching what is available a bit beyond your dates and you do have a choice between B787 and A380 then great, either beats down the back!

chicski likes this.
  15. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I fly QF (and CX, BA and AA) in the forward cabins very regularly for work. The A380 is my favourite aeroplane - spacious and quiet. QF A380 business class is getting a little shabby though - the Mark Newson designed business class seat is getting on and they're due for refurbishment. You may need to use a rigid carry on to prop up the end of the leg rest, which now has a tendency to droop when the seat is in bed mode. That said, they're still very comfortable and QF offers a nice service longhaul.

The 787 Dreamliner business class seats on QF are all brand new and pretty nice. The "suite" has plenty of room and handy features. I think the 787 seats have the edge over the A380 seats right now. The Dreamliner is a nice, modern, quiet plane. Its only drawback is the stupid electronically dimmable windows, which don't go completely opaque. Make sure you have your favourite eyemask with you.

As others have said, go Cathay! A superior business class to QF in all respects - better seat, better service, better food. Seriously though, as a bronze to have any chance of snaring classic award seats you need to be ready to go the moment the seats are released, which is midnight UTC 353 days out (I believe that's 10am Brisbane time / east coast non-daylight saving time). You will only get one way availability at that time - if you wait until the return leg opens up, the outbound flight will have no award seats left. You will need to book the return later and separately.

travelislife likes this.
  16. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

The normal award seats come out 353 days, the business class offerings to the lowly mortals appear to be offered at 309 days (17 Jan 19 are available today). From what I've read they are offered to higher status earlier, and if not sold then released to the lower status. I'll book each leg separately, did the same with economy for the family for this year's trip. I really can't see the benefit of spending an extra 10 hours minimum travelling plus spending an extra 43k points to fly Cathay over Qantas? I literally only have enough points for the return Qantas trip and am considering doing PE one way to save some. Given I always fly economy, anything will be a treat :)

oldgeezer likes this.
  17. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

They're going quickly for sure. The Sydney flights have the most offerings but if I play around I can get out of either Melbourne or Brisbane, landing either LAX or San Fran. And my dates are flexible and I'm only after one seat, outside of school holidays. So if I keep checking daily I reckon I can snap something up.

Ozgirl and oldgeezer like this.
  18. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

Also just check the backbone route, i.e. from Sydney or Melbourne to the west coast port of entry, just in case on your dates for some reason there is no domestic availability even in economy. Speaking of CBR points seats are about the only time I've bothered with flying to SYD rather than Murray's coach because both ports are in the same points zone, i.e. no extra cost for a less convenient option.

19. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah I usually check the Syd/Mel/Bne departure first then reach with eh Canberra add-on. If I can book from Canberra then there's no extra points. We flew to USA in school holidays this year, scored direct flights on Xmas eve, but youngest and I came home Denver-San Fran-Nadi-Bne-Canberra on 3 different airlines LOL Trying to avoid that this time!

20. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Personally I wouldnt redeem my points on the old Qantas a380 business seats unless it was the only option. 2-2-2 layout is so behind. Save them up and redeem for a plane with a suite layout as a first preference.

Most definitely don't waste them on PE.

21. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

The Dreamliner has 1-2-1 layout. Will be looking for those I think. Better for a solo traveller.

Stratus likes this.
  22. dibloc

dibloc One of Us

Am I allowed to say Emirates new 777 cabin?

But yeah QF 380 cabin is a bit tired.

Either way whatever you get will be better than being down the back.

23. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

*only if you have the correct pants

dibloc likes this.
  24. dibloc

dibloc One of Us

I prefer a singular pant.

25. jgm

jgm Hard Yards

The 747 and 380 are the old Skybed MkII. these seats droop at the feet and unless you can wedge something under them are very uncomfortable. Also, as has been stated, you may have to climb over the adjacent passenger, or have them climb over you. The 787 and 330 have the new seats and are a far better choice. We recently came back on an QF A330 from NRT, and the seat is a VAST improvement over the skybedII. However QF is a poor substitute for a real full service airline. Service is almost acceptable, but the food is very 2nd class, although they do provide PJs.

26. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident
    Ski Pass - Gold

Singapore airlines A380, a great bed and excellent service and food.

27. person s

person s Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

if you read the reviews on the business traveller website, you’ll probably go for the 787

chicski likes this.
  28. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Haven't read all of it, but my colleagues who fly regularly (in business) all but refuse to fly on a Qantas 747 because they are old planes.

So anything but the 747...

chicski likes this.
  29. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Whici is of course the one out of Sydney with the most availability LOL

Ozgirl likes this.
  30. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Dont agree!

Didn't use to agree - but now PE on QF is so much better offering (flew PE on points to Niseko)

Would much prefer direct route possible on a new plane in PE than 3 airlines and business for one leg...

31. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

PE on the Qantas B747N isn't bad actually. The best business flights I've experienced have been upstairs in the B747 and that was on United which is saying something, the intimate private feel of the cabin, and personal service were the factors I recall, plus the rear facing seat/bed worked a treat for sleep (even if it did mean having to hop over the seat neighbor's legs to get to the aisle).

32. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

The best business I have flown is Qatar, but obviously you can't get that on the trans pacific run. It's pretty popular to knock qantas, but I actually think their business class is pretty good.

In all honesty, it will be more what you can manage to get your hands on with your points. Those seats are pretty hard to snaffle on points. Personally I quite like the A380, both with Qantas and other airlines. The seats and 2x layout doesn't bother me, and I really like the lounge/bar area most A380's have, which tends to be a reasonable size. I like to be able to get up and go and sit somewhere else for a while. I prefer seats that are faced directly forward like the qantas A380 rather than the herringbone layout. Worst of all is BA where half the seats face backwards :eek: I don't drink alcohol, and tend not to eat much on planes, so the catering side of things doesn't really fuss me too much.

The qantas business lounges are pretty good both a SYD and the new LAX.

Kash, Chalkie, piolet and 1 other person like this.
  33. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Slightly related story ... Once was flying to LAX with my wife, economy. We had separate tickets, as we were flying back on different dates. Tried to upgrade on points, and I got upgraded, but my wife did not. We agreed she could fly in business, but it was not that simple. Swapping seats is at the pilots discretion. They were happy to do it, but for some reason would only let us do it after takeoff. So I got to sit in the qantas A380 business seat, which due to layout seems to have a huge distance between you and the seat in front. Then after half an hour I had to go back and sit in the horribly cramped economy seat for the next 14 hours :eek:o_O Worst trip of my life :rolleyes: So if you can get a business class seat, go for it, because there is a huge difference ;)

Afterwards the hostie told me that most times when that happens, the husband gets them to tell the wife they are not allowed to swap :D When I was getting off the plane, met up with my wife, and the business class cabin crew gave me a bottle of champagne as a present :)

Chalkie, LMB, dibloc and 6 others like this.
  34. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Robbo, that's an awesome story!

35. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Qf 380 onboard biz lounge is usually empty too

mx_boarder likes this.
  36. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Except he doesn't drink!

cqen2l, DidSurfNowSki and Normo like this.
  37. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

And the pilots won't stop that seat swap. The cc just like everyone in the right spot before going.
    Loading/weight and balance isn't affected for a one for one swap.

38. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Pilots got a bit more to worry bout... ..

39. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Weight and balance is right at the top of that list. Hence seat swaps pre takeoff aren't allowed, unless the net affect is nil.

After takeoff most changes are moot

dibloc likes this.
  40. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

For shizzle.
    Nor putting a pooch in the overhead.

41. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

42. dibloc

dibloc One of Us

That's not a very nice thing to say about our cabin crew.

piolet likes this.
  43. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless
    Ski Pass - Gold

But......but......he easily fitted in the "carry-on" measuring frame at check-in!

44. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

45. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

I did a straight swap prior to take off.
    I got an upgrade being a Platinum FF on a kids sport trip. Team coach had been going through cancer treatment and was a bit raged around the edges. He was seated up the back with all the noisey kids. I asked for the swap at check in, explained why and they did it without question.

(Didn’t do it on the way back coz a life altering health crisis didn’t make him be any nicer a human and he treated me and my kid like sh1t all week. No regrets).

Donzah and piolet like this.
  46. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Makes it easier to identify bodies in the event of a crash on take off if everyone is in their assigned seat. :whistle:

47. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Pffft.
    They all grab their bags and scatter.

48. Undies

Undies Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

I'll echo everyone else. The 787 suites are nice.

The older egg seats on the 380 aren't totally flat, so between that and the saggy footrests I find myself sliding down to the bottom of the bed during the night. I also like to sleep on my stomach, which is hard to do in the eggs as I can't get my arms up and under my head.

Go the 787 or 330 any day of the week.

mx_boarder, dibloc and chicski like this.
  49. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Thanks everyone. I’ll look for connections out of Melbourne or Brisbane.

Ozgirl likes this.
  50. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sorry chicski I didn't realise that was the case. I've been a Platinum or Platinum One with QF for over 20 years so I've definitely missed the 309 day problem.

PE is a definite improvement over economy too!

dibloc and chicski like this.