1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Which plane has the best business class

Discussion in 'Flights' started by chicski, Mar 13, 2018.

1. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Which one though!?

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Qantas Dreamliner. FF points.

3. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

You wont be disappointed with Qantas 787 business class. Its amazing. I flew the identical design/layout PER-SYD on the A330 a few months ago. One of the best business class experiences I've had - and am comparing to Singapore, Cathay, Etihad and Emirates flights.

Enjoy - but as someone else noted, if you've never experienced business anything with a flat bed will be great, even an old design 747. The service, food, lounge and drinks on Qantas are great as well.

chicski likes this.
  4. jgm

jgm Addicted

You mean FF ripoff. Qantas used to call it a "fuel surcharge" but since the majority of airlines dropped this, it is now a "surcharge" which ONLY applies to award flights. If you must fly with Qantas (supposing that you are able to find one of their scarce as hen's teeth awards), get it with American Airlines miles and save yourself a fortune.

travelislife likes this.
  5. chicski

Meh. I have return business class to USA for less than the price of economy. I’m happy.

person s, qwill, Ozgirl and 1 other person like this.
  6. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

And this is why Qantas gets away with it! Why remove it if people are happy paying it. As an FYI the same thing booked through Virgin is probably $600 cheaper.

7. chicski

Except I have QFF points and not velocity. So it’s a moot point.

Ozgirl likes this.
  8. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I am just saying that is a choice you have made as a consumer. It is your decision to acquire QFF points, this decision comes with an associated cost impact not many people are aware of until it’s too late.

As a reference point, I have just booked a return trip to Europe for 2 adults and 1 infant booked directly using Velocity points, flying on Singapore Airlines, all in Business Class. Total fees, approx $350. If I did the same with Qantas points, say booked on Cathay I’d be out of pocket another $2-2.5k most likely.

So it is a direct decision that has a direct cost impact. Hardly a moot point.

9. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Not to mention the abysmal attitude by most Qantas staff . I was berated for not printing out a receipt for $500 excess baggage . The checkin staff are not supposed to verify it my phone apparently .

10. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

and @chicski has already stated she is very happy with the informed decision she made as a consumer. So lets just leave it be. We here what you are saying, but not everyone has a choice about what points system they are locked into.

Congrats to @chicski for booking return business flights to LAX on points, at peak time of the year, on lowest status:) There were plenty of qantas bashers on these forums telling her that would be impossible

LMB and Ozgirl like this.
  11. chicski

SFO actually. Avoiding LAX is always good. Couldn’t do that on VA.

I’ve accrued points by methods other than flying. I might have one or 2 domestic flights annually and o/s has been twice in the last 3 years (once on points). I accrue by using credit cards, targeting shopping and accommodation etc. All money I was spending anyway. So my points are free. I’m not sure that I could accrue points the way I have with any other airline.

I’ve flown internationally with both Qantas and VA a number of times. I prefer Qantas. But thanks all for your concern.

12. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes QFF def makes sense for you (ie your grocery bill... not sure where else you can earn FF pts in your neck of the woods!)

LMB likes this.
  13. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

A 'good deal' is a price YOU are happy to pay.

di6loc, chicski and Ozgirl like this.
  14. chicski

I travel a bit for work. Book motel through qantas, get up to 3x spend in points, plus anothe 1x spend for business QFF. Pay with qantas Amex, get at least 1x spend, perhaps more. Lots of petrol too, same thing, woolies petrol gets points, pay with Amex for 2x spend.

I’m racking up between 5-10k points to per month.

robbo mcs likes this.
  15. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Missed this.

I meant the other providers (ie Virgin)

chicski likes this.
  16. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Recently booked our flights (first leg) to Canada.
    Had enough QFF points to snag Melb-SF with PE and Business on the way home. Both on the Dreamliner. Thanks to those that bought to my attention the 303 day out release for the Classic Reward flights. Gonna enjoy this as it might be the only time we’ll get to enjoy the privilege.

di6loc, LMB, robbo mcs and 1 other person like this.
  17. jgm

jgm Addicted

Once you've travelled in the pointy end you'll never go back to the rest of the sardines.

travelislife and di6loc like this.