1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Which plane has the best business class

Discussion in 'Flights' started by chicski, Mar 13, 2018.

1. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Extra seat is a brilliant plan once they're mobile

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Fortunately we got one both ways to the US and back, probably because we booked a bassinet and they wouldn’t jam a third person into that Dante circle of hell. Was a 3+3+3 config, super handy as the flights were $$$$$ because Xmas.

Fozzie Bear and piolet like this.
  3. qwill

qwill Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

haahhhahah

4. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Emirates 777s are garbage in business unless its the odd one that is either new or refurbished

The A380s are good to great depending on the age. Smaller screens and older seats etc

Zeroz likes this.
  5. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Visa/MC earn rates are pretty bad now. I don't even bother

piolet and CarveMan like this.
  6. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Well Amex is good for hoarding points as they are safer than holding with airlines and you can transfer out to 9 airline partners

cqen2l likes this.
  7. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don’t spend enough to accrue just with card. I use the sign up bonuses to top up and qantas flys all the places I want to go.

Ozgirl likes this.
  8. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Fair call. And another big expense I can pay on Amex through DEFT with a 3% surcharge which doesn't add up.

I'm pumping plenty through the Amex, the biggest contributors are pretty much all our software expenses which won't increase much as the business does, but our Google / FB ads and our non-post courier shipping are ramping up and that's where a lot of the points are coming from.

9. Harper11

Harper11 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Some aren’t bad

I use the Amex where I can
    But it’s never, for me, worth paying the surcharge so I’ll use a MasterCard or visa then

piolet likes this.
  10. Harper11

2.5% means you are basically paying for the flight though?

11. chicski

ANZ black (my latest) is 1:1. Be cancelling that one soon, it’s done it’s job.

12. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Lol

But you said you will be disappointed to loss it. I gave you an option to keep it on your airline of choice!

13. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I said I would kiss it goodbye, not that I would be disappointed.

14. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

15. chicski

Well this is disappointing. Sydney business lounge is just the club lounge, full of plebs with free lounge passes. o_O

More run down than the last time I was here....as a pleb with a free lounge pass. :rolleyes:

Don’t they know I’m important?

cruisin along and Ozgirl like this.
  16. Harper11

Are you wearing your badge?

17. chicski

Am I supposed to have a badge?

18. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Which airline?

19. Ozgirl

Lovely to have a wine with you @chicski!

The Kale ceasar salad is surprisingly nice!

20. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Cannot compare but we came back from Rome with Qatar bus class in November and service/food/comfort was outstanding. Would use again.

21. chicski

I see what you mean about the beds. Great seats, the built in massage was nice, food good, but not a comfy bed. Still managed 5-6hrs of sleep/nap which will help with an early night tonight. Good food and no swollen legs/ankles. Beats the back of the bus. Look forward to comparing with the 787.

22. chicski

Bit of turbulence at times but not enough to upset my empty glass perched on the bulkhead. Pleasant flight :)

piolet, Chalkie and Ozgirl like this.
  23. Ozgirl

Speaking of, I think I like the idea of business class being elsewhere (ie up the back!) I swear it felt rougher up the front!

Re the 'beds' I actually kept the 'mattress' folded up to increase the padding.

I didn't feel like I got a good night's sleep but the flight def went quicker than down the back!

cruisin along likes this.
  24. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Wheels up for me in 5 days, so starting to get that little bit excited!
    I booked Singapore Airlines business to Narita via Singapore. At the time of booking it was one of the cheapest business tickets. I then booked through Amex travel service which provided a saving of several hundred dollars. Then I threw a few points to lower the final cost. It's my first time flying business with Singapore. I have heard nothing but good things about them.
    I was careful to select flights which had the new/retrofitted business configuration. The only negative I have read is that unless you are in the bulkhead seats, the footwell position is a little askew. I couldn't book any bulkhead seats as, I believe, they are reserved for their elite club level passengers.....and only release them a couple days out from the flight. So...fingers crossed about that.
    I flew Korean business last year, again to Japan. I thought they were pretty good. I especially liked the Absolut Vodka lounge set up at the rear of the upper deck. They had a bunch of vodka based cocktails on offer which were yum. Be warned though, if you want something other than vodka they'll politely ask you to return to your seat and will bring it to you there. Go figure!?!
    Korean lounge at Sydney airport is the Sky Team lounge, directly below the Amex lounge. It's meh.
    I'm looking forward to the Kris Lounge, which is Singapore Airline's dedicated lounge and more so the one in Changi.

Ozgirl likes this.
  25. sn0wbunny29

sn0wbunny29 One of Us

I was disappointed with the Sydney Kris lounge. It's looking tired and dated IMO and in need of a refurbishment. I really didn't like bathroom access from the dining area. Changi is so much better!

26. Tonester

yeh, I'm not expecting amazeballs for Sydney Kris Lounge. Just hoping for better than the Sky Team lounge.

27. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Same, I thought it was pretty average.

28. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Family just back from 4 x Singapore flights. 3 amazing crews and 1 good/average crew.

They were on the new A380 and 2 x A350s and 1 older 777-300ER.

The 5 year old asked me why the screen was smaller on one plane, the 777.... she didn't like it.....

The lounges are pretty good but there are better ones out there. The Singapore lounges are undergoing renovations for the next 12 months. The business lounge is open now but due to shut for renos soon and you will use the renovated part of another lounge. The food buffets here are amazing and for the number of people the lounge handles it's always quiet

The Sydney lounge was renovated a few years back and better than the Melbourne one as we got the older design here.

Bulkhead seats are good but are reserved for babies or elite members. A few days out you can see if they open up.

You really struggle to have a bad SQ flight

Some fun facts about the colour of the tiles and dresses

https://luxuryescapes.com/magazine/...-about-singapore-airlines-the-singapore-girl/

The colourful Kebayas worn by The Singapore Girl have an air of sophistication about them; though they are not created solely for fashion. Boasting four different colours—blue, green, red and purple—each attendant wears the appropriate colour for their rank. Even the rank of the male crew can be identified through the colour of the tie they wear, which match the colours of the Kebaya.

Starting at blue—which is the colour worn by stewards or stewardesses, the next level of rank is green, given to one Leading Steward or Stewardess per cabin. Red is worn by Chief Steward or Stewardess and only in First Class and Business Class cabins. Purple is worn by the highest rank, the In-flight Manager, who is in charge of all cabin crew and has the responsibility of liaising with the Captain for the safe management of the flight.

piolet likes this.
  29. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah those dresses... Not worn for safety in an emergency LOL

skiflat and Ozgirl like this.
  30. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

they struggle to do more than shuffle....

piolet likes this.
  31. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just received an upgrade to Business on QF 73 to SFO tomorrow. Its a 787 which i have only flown PE so will report back afterwards.
    PT

32. blutek

blutek One of Us

We were on QF74 last month from SFO. Originally was 747 but replaced with 787 with new config, a few weeks before departure. The new QF seat is very good with 1-2-1 config. Cabin crew were exceptional - was their first 787 flight, as coming from A380.

Ozgirl, bomber and cqen2l like this.
  33. Tonester

Currently sitting in the Kris Lounge at Sydney. I was right not to be too excited. It's a bit tired.
    But, it's quiet and an ok view out to the tarmac.
    I can't wait, though, to experience first hand, famous SIA service.

sn0wbunny29 and skiflat like this.
  34. Fozzie Bear

Best solution to tired lounges at SYD, don`t turn up too early and then you don't feel compelled to use them.

35. Tonester

But....free beer :doh:

Ozgirl, sn0wbunny29, cqen2l and 2 others like this.
  36. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

‘Free’. Amazing how much we’ll spend for that

qwill and Fozzie Bear like this.
  37. Tonester

yep :doh:

38. Tonester

i can confirm Silver Kris lounge at Changi is somewhat better.

39. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Go back again in 12 months when fully renovated

Zeroz and Tonester like this.
  40. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sorry for taking time but had a few issues following QF 73 to SFO. First it took 2.5 hours to get through immigration. And then we were able to use the USAsection as our ESTAhad been used before. The line was about 150 metres down the hall. There was a JAL, KLM flight before us and a few others after us. Then there were about 50 people in wheel chairs who went to the front of the queue. And these people had the rest of their families with them. Might need to fly with a pair of crutches or something.
    Back to business the food was good, service slow and took forever to get the first drink, like about 1.5 hours after take off.
    The bed is comfortable and it flattens into a void below the spare space in the module in front. On the 787 it is a 1 2 1 arrangement. Problem for me at 6’2 is there is not a lot of clearance at the end of the well and somy feet were forever touching the top of the space.
    The movies were not that flash as needed more variety. Did watch the new Fast and Furious one with the Rock and Jason Statham. A bit corny but worth watching.
    And the first night we ate at a restaurant on Fisherman’s Wharf and my wife and I both had diahorrea from midnight. Felt better in the morning but wifey still off colour so left her in room at Argonaut Hotel. Daughter and I decided to walk up Hyde street to the curves part of Lombard street. Nearly made it then ended up almost passing out on footpath. Fire brigade and ambulance came and sick looking wife rushed up as well.
    Took us both to St Mary’s at Haight Astbury ( did want to go there) for some drips and an insight into US medical system. First quote US$1795 each but calls to travel insurance got it down to $167 which will be claimable. Made sure I paid it quickly.
    Did not go to Alcatraz as not up to it but will claim back. So 2 cases of food poisoning from 1 restaurant. The response was always that happens all the time.
    Anyway no in Whistler and wife gone to doctor again. Easy C$200 so more to be claimed.
    Had a beer at lunch time which is a start.

cqen2l likes this.
  41. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

Did Cathay Business to/from Chicago via HK last week. Both legs were on tired old 777's with the suite-style beds that are starting to show their age, although leagues better than the occasional Qantas egg-style business that is still floating around.

Them Qantas eggs are a rort, and damn near impossible to sleep on as they're not flat and I keep sliding down towards the bottom. Plus my shoulders barely fit into them, so it's an uncomfortable night when you get one of those.

Ozgirl likes this.
  42. Stick

Stick Hard Yards

Will never forget checking into a flight to Europe in Singapore Airlines PE and the couple next to us where checking into First Class, carrying expensive luggage & and a large sense of entitlement. Anyway thought nothing more of it, until my wife and I were lining up for the $40SGD vouchers at Changi, who was in front of us.. Mr & Mrs First Class.. Thought why bother, but then as my wife pointed out you make money by saving money...

skiflat likes this.
  43. Fozzie Bear

@bomber the solution to bad San Francisco experiences is to stay in Sausalito.

44. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Here now in The Emirates Lounge, Malpensa, Italy.

Conveniently, there is a boarding gate from inside the Lounge area which is well serviced, quiet and comfortable.

Wifey sipping Moët with snow covered peaks in the distance.

skiflat, Ozgirl, Undies and 1 other person like this.
  45. sn0wbunny29

sn0wbunny29 One of Us

Emirates lounges are good except the ones in Dubai!

SMSkier likes this.
  46. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

The Dubai lounge has a couple of good things, such as the kids playroom where they can make as much jet-lagged noise as they want and still be contained, and the whole gate at lounge thing as per above. These both take stress out of the transit.

But it lacks ambience and feels like a mall rather than a lounge. Certainly wins for scale, though.

SMSkier likes this.
  47. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Agreed. I am sitting there right now and the mall feel is on the mark, albeit reasonably quiet as it’s post midnight locally.

Undies likes this.
  48. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

And Sydney, shithole.

49. Harper11

[​IMG]

Air Nz skynest test
    Priced just below premium
    Could be good if it ever eventuates

Untele-whippet, nezumi and Jonathan_P like this.
  50. Ozgirl

6 only on a flight + supply vs demand...