Question Which skis next?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by gareth_oau, Dec 3, 2018.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

im heading to Canada and thought I might grab a new pair of skis.

Not necessary serking brand and model suggestions but more about what type of ski I should be looking for.

I currently own a set of K2 Amp 80x

They seem a liitle bit heavy(?) and I find they are skittish/jiggle around when Im on long smooth runs

I’m 170cm tall and weigh 78kgs

I’m early intermediate and looking to progress.

The vast majority of my riding will be on groomed greens/blues

Suggestions?

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

I'd go for a similar style of ski just a more advanced construction to cope with your progress.

Skis on the whole are getting much lighter, that's an industry-wide trend, and a more solid construction will make them less skittish. Standing on the middle of them will help this more ;)

Just for example in the K2 Range now, your ski is the rough equivalent of the current K2 Konic 78 whereas you could possibly step it up to the Konic 80 which has a more solid core material, or the Ikonic 80 Ti which has a more advanced core again + metal.

That's just one brand but kinda shows where you're at and where you could be.

Tanuki, nfip and gareth_oau like this.
  3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

Cheers I’m just a bit wary of buying what’s suitable versus buying what’s in stock

CarveMan likes this.
  4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Gold Bruce

All the ski shops in Sun Peaks let you demo. Try before you buy.

piolet likes this.
  5. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

Agreed but i need to understand what I’ll behappy with as I progress more that what I feel comfortable with today

piolet likes this.
  6. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

So is the general idea to get something with metal in them for rigidity? Or is it sometimes best to avoid that?

7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

Metal stiffens a ski but it also dampens vibrations.

Kletterer likes this.
  8. Roymond

Roymond Hard Yards

I've had a few chats with Matthias at Mcsporties- he seems to have a good idea about skis that will work for both the pretty snow in North America as well as the more icy variety we ski here and in NZ.
    FWIW he has steered a lot of people towards the atomic vantage and dynastar legend ranges that he felt would probably suit an advancing intermediate.

9. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

Depends, the lower end yes the top end no.
    The Vantage up to the say 86 on 90c would suit, but from there they start to become pretty serious skis, the 97cti and 106 are advanced to expert only skis.
    The Legend range from 84-88 would be excellent for an advancing intermediate, and again like the vantage range they sizes up from then on turn into pretty legit skis for advanced skiers.

hpsauce likes this.
  10. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

The Vantages 86 and up are more all-mountain skis, below that they are carvers which IMO I think Gareth is more after.

Can never go wrong with Atomic, they make great skis.

Kletterer likes this.
  11. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Gold Bruce

Based on what you’re saying your current skis are probably fine for now.

At the end of your trip you will probably be considerably advanced, probably more a blue and emerging black run skier. You may be dabbling in bumps and powder.

I’d be thinking of demoing skis for the skier you’ll be at the end of the trip. What you’ll enjoy skiing as your ability increases no one can yet say.

I can say I think a ski around 88mm underfoot is ideal as a one ski quiver in Oz. And if you primarily ski groomers overseas they’ll be ideal as a travel ski too. If you’re skiing more of the mountain incl powder etc a ski around 100mm underfoot would be ideal as a one ski travel quiver.

12. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us
    Silver Bruce

By skittish/jiggle around feel, do you mean that they feel a bit hooky ie the shovels are biting in a bit and wanting to turn when you don't?? maybe its the tune and. A whetstone to the shovels might help.

13. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

Jittery would probably he a better expression. When I was gliding aling without trying to turn, the tips would twitch side to side a bit.

But this could also be because I tend to ski upright and I need to bend my kness and press into the boots a bit more

14. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Gold Bruce

This may not be a bad thing. If you are gliding well and the skis are flat on the snow they will tend to wander a bit.

crackson and gareth_oau like this.
  15. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Gold Bruce

Your skis have a close to SL side cut. They will wobble when flat, once you put your sis on edge a little bit they should feel stable.

BoofHead, gareth_oau and Kletterer like this.
  16. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

And the front of any ski will feel skittish if the back is getting more than its share of the pressure ;)

17. Kletterer

Kletterer Loading Dock Manager
    Bruce the Mod Gold Bruce

Hard to give advice if we dont know what true condition those skis are in. Very well could be badly tuned skis. Run a true bar down the bases. Is it a 0.5 base bevel ?. Is the side edge angle too high for your ability. The tails on those skis are a bit lazy so detuning the tips is also important .

18. Telemark Phat

Gold Bruce

Once a ski instructor....

crackson and CarveMan like this.
  19. northsail

northsail One of Us
    Silver Bruce

Save your money on skis Gareth and book into some lessons. They are great value in SP.
    Wish i could join you again.:(

20. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

My existing skis were purchased new, are less that 3 yrs old and have had a very gentle life, but Im not in a position to advise if any of the minor edge tunes were done proficiently

21. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

My plan is for both ski and board lessons

22. northsail

northsail One of Us
    Silver Bruce

You wont be board in SP. Stick to the skiing!;)

23. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

K2 iKonic 84 TI seems to get rave reviews from all. The new Rossignol Experience 88ti is supposed to be another great ski. I've got the Fischer ProMtn 86ti and can't rave enough about them. Any of those skis would be great if you're looking to progress for the conditions you're skiing.

24. linked_recoveries

1 - you won't be an 'advancing' intermediate for long - you'll improve quickly with constant skiing;
    2 - don't sell yourself short - look for something that will suit your more advanced self;
    3 - there's no mention of the length of your current skis, which will make a difference;
    4 - the only way to know if you really like a ski is to demo the thing in different conditions;
    5 - the usual question: I assume you're fully sorted with properly fitted boots, yes? Sort that out first.

Mid-to-high 80's (or 90mm) underfoot with a bit of early rise in the tip (and possibly tail) will be an all mountain ski for local conditions and a good on-piste ski overseas. The choice between a ski with metal and a ski without metal is personal. Metal layers will dampen the ski's response, will often stiffen the ski, and will certainly make them a little heavier. I like skis that are quite damp; someone else may prefer a livelier ski (along that spectrum). That's your call.

Spend some time / money demoing when you're over there. If you end up buying skis the cost of demoing is often offset against the purchase price anyway. If you try ten skis you'll get along with five of them, like / dislike two each, and you'll probably adore one special pair. Tell the demo store you'd like the skis to work across a range of conditions, rather than just a perfect, soft groomer.

Best of luck.

crackson likes this.
  25. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I'm with Annabuzzy on this one. Hang on to them and learn how to use your edges.

As per TelePhat, they're almost a slalom sidecut and will wobble a bit from side to side when on the flat. Hold on to your dollars for now, take them over and practice rolling them from edge to edge. You'll feel the skis engage and your confidence in the ski will build with that. Find a nice gradient where you're not worrying about the speed, what you want to be doing is letting the skis run and keeping them on edge. As soon as you bring them back to the flat where you're standing directly above them you will feel them jitter. Understand why and then work them.

Once you feel that edge and are confident in engaging it, you'll stiffen up in the pants and smile more.

Marty_McSly, craighelo and crackson like this.
  26. bluess57

bluess57 Hard Yards

^This, pressure into front of boots
    The two different pair of K2 skis I've ridden before (AMP & AMP Rictor), personally found them to be more jittery/ski wobble, on flat areas more so than other skis.

27. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

I would recommend trying before buying. No recommendation ever worked for me but when I found the right ones I knew it. Could be a number of reasons for the jiggle but shouldn't on smooth piste if all working well. For the type of skiing you're up for, go for on-piste carvers and enjoy. In terms of length, if in doubt go shorter.

28. zarik

zarik Early Days

One thing to consider when demoing is that there is a huge number of skis but number of design elements in them is limited. I would start by trying all kinds of skis not just one category. Try park skis, powder skis, slalom skis, whatever shop has, light skis, two sheets of metal skis etc. Note the design elements in them. Then when looking at new skis or researching online you can think about what these skis might feel like. You can develop what you feel you need then buy.

29. fenrir

fenrir Hard Yards

^^ This

I trawled through gumtree for some cheap skis with different shapes and after trying long twin tips that were 100mm under foot it changed my world. Alternatively as others have suggested see if you can demo a range of skis to find one that works for you. If you get really lucky there may be some demo days on while you are there which will let you try multiple skis in one day.

As a side note if you naturally have a more upright stance then maybe a more centrally mounted ski may be a natural fit?

30. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

[​IMG]
    Fischer Pro MTN 86TI
    Dimensions: 128-86-116
    Radius: 16.5m@175cm
    Sizes: 161, 168, 175, 182
    Size tested: 175
    Design: Carryover/NGT

Ron: I tested the Pro MTN in 175 last SIA and loved it for a fantastic blend of on- and off-piste ability and thought it was one of the most underrated skis. The 86 exudes quality and performance not found at this price point. This year I tested the 182 and found that I liked the longest length even more. The extra few centimeters afforded even more stability and snow contact. Where I felt the tip rocker had too much rise in the 175, I didn't notice it on the 182. I would still encourage Fischer to lower the splay, but if you are on the fence on lengths or typically ski a 178 or longer frontside ski, grab the 182. It just felt even more balanced and capable.
    • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up looking for a versatile higher level of performance than many of the other mid-80 skis.
    • Who is it not for? Those lacking a solid foundation of skills or those not interested in a more precise ski
    • Insider tip: Fischer approaches Stöckli and especially Kästle quality at a fraction of the price.

UGASkiDawg: What a blast! The Pro MTN 86 has power that is easy to tap; it rips off turns like a pro but does not demand too much of the rider. This ski is an amazing combo of serious and fun: it has serious grip yet still will have fun slashing and dancing if you prefer. If I were looking for a one-ski quiver, it would be right at the top of my demo list.
    • Who is it for? People who like to ski anything, anywhere, anytime.
    • Who is it not for? Snowboarders.
    • Insider tip: Bring these along and fun will happen, no matter what conditions you run into.

I am a Fischer fanboy. Just about to get the 102 Ranger FRs to complement my ProMtns. Great skis full stop.

Froff Life likes this.
  31. hipo

hipo One of Us
    Gold Bruce

Gotta agree with the lessons first suggestions...get to know how you like to ski and how hard you want to push yourself.
    Its a bit like coming to the end of your P plates and asking here what car to buy,,,too many options and opions unless you have a better idea of where you're driving, why you're driving, what's enjoyable as well as buget etc.
    Have a couple of lessons, explain to the instructor what you want to achieve and your impressions of your current skis. AND ask what type of ski and why a ski would suit you. Don't accept a brand X Model Y answer.
    And do your homework on Dr google with a bit of reading about characteristics of skis and how those charasteristics affect a ski.
    Have a look here for starters and read the "skis", "construction" and "camber" sections.
    http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/skis.html
    and here https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ski-rocker-technology.html

It's reasonably upto date with ski characteristics, easy to understand and should wet your appetite to dig further if you want to understand why one ski will be more suitable and enjoyable than another for what YOU want.

32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

You can never have too many guitars or pairs of skis!!!

Kletterer and skifree like this.
  33. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Gold Bruce

I wholeheartedly approve this thread :D

skifree likes this.
  34. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture
    Bruce the Mod

Lessons are way more valueable than new skis. IMHO, you could be spending at least as much on lessons as new skis, if not double or triple.

Me, I reckon I am up to about 300 hours of lessons (and training) for just skiing (forget the tele and snowboard lessons I have done over the years). I think I can drive a solid all mountain ski or a rec race ski ok. But there comes a point where you need much more fine tuned feedback to progress.

35. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Gold Bruce

but surely skiing on guitars would be more like snowboarding?

36. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Bruce the Mod Gold Bruce

This^^^

37. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Bruce the Mod Gold Bruce

That would be a sacrilegious use of a guitar. Shame on you for even thinking it, then speaking of it.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  38. Telemark Phat

Gold Bruce

You should do your Tele Level 1 next season!

39. Yardsale

Bruce the Mod

Ha! Na. I'm mostly on alpines these days. I'll be grateful to be on the snow next season (I got cleaned up up riding the pushy to work this time last year). I suspect that I have another operation before Christmas... so if I can do a green run next year, I'll be thankful.

40. Telemark Phat

Gold Bruce

Get better so you can get back on the real skis. Look up Chris Lewczynski at Hotham for some tele help.

41. Yardsale

Bruce the Mod

I've seen Chris ski, he's awesome.

We'll see what happens. I have some things to experiment with. I have a pretty big skin graft on my shin, so we'll see how that goes. I'll be un-surprised if I end up back in snowboard boots.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  42. linked_recoveries

How 'bout a cello ... case?

skifree, Roymond and gareth_oau like this.
  43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Telecaster guitars are quite versatile. Keef even used his for hand to hand combat.