Kelowna, BC
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

hpsauce

A Local
Ski Pass
May 19, 2008
Fplucker......if you are still looking for a tent recommendation, I have a Tatonka Family Camp.
Awesome for winter.
Lightweight.
Fast to pitch.
Super high quality poles and materials.
Tall enough to stand in if under 190cm.
Big central vestibule which can fit 2 camp chairs for cooking etc on a cold rainy night.
Inner has just the right amount of venting high on the sides to keep cold drafts out but maintain some airflow.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Perfect tent for Jindy

One that floats

423684_10150618123553178_557328177_9535730_1487820881_n.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Donza - where is that in Jindy park - I'm guessing down the front row area - how many rows has it come up?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Hey rocket boy...that's basically taken from the big blue bin on the asphalt road...re our spots...its at least a fall of 5 feet to water level from you guys...

Kunama

First Runs
Mar 16, 2012
Snowy Mts
There was a powerboat tied up to the Strzelecki Monument yesterday in Banjo Paterson Park, Picnic tables under water, snakes everywhere, bike path under 3 metres of water.

Tents may not be the go this year. But if you must have a tent then one with a flysheet that seals out the prevailing wind is the first requirement, good guy ropes as well. We recorded a wind gust of 181 kmh a month ago. I live on the eastern side on the lake.

mauricem

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
We'll be camping at sawpit crk for 5 nites in late June and were wondering how effective our lightweight 3 season tent would be.marmot titan tent Its a great little tent but the inner is all mesh and designed to keep you cool!

Would be better off using this tent inside another larger tent we have or tarping via a ridge pole?

we've got a powered site and an electric blanket but the sleeping bags are not super warm. Already have the self inflating camping mats and tent footprints.

Id like to stay in the tent but if its too cold we've got a camping style canopy on the back of the hilux which I guess with an electric blanket should be survivable

pic below shows the bigger tent and the hilux rig in a somewhat warmer environment, yuragir NP ftw. The big tent was a kmart cheapy and and is prone to leaking hence the idea of the smaller tent inside the bigger one
yg2011.jpg

mauricem

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2010
Sunshine Coast
BobGnarly said:
would you fit in that canopy?
If you mean the one on the hilux, its on an extra cab body so the canopy is a bit over 1.8mtrs and a standard double mattress fits in, I still need to go a bit diagonal for the full stretch, if you mean the tent in the tent well thats a tight fit but it does work, just like layering your outerwear.

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
I think with all your gear the tent is probably a better option, especially if you can leave it set up for the 5 days

Froops

Hard Yards
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney
We take the kids skiing for a week every year, either camping at jindy in the caravan park or sawpit creek. The kids are still small but they think its wonderful that they camp. Only one year, perhaps 4 or 5 years ago did we have to bail, the wind was unbelievable, and we made the rookie mistake of taking a too big tent. we have never had the issue of being cold, as you really do stay warm in the tentwith thefour of us bunked in.

We have never had tents that were anything but mid price tents and as i said have never been cold. Having said that, we do have decent sleeping bags, as i do not want to have to deal with cold kids, that is no holiday. use the camp kitchens and the communal lounge rooms and you will have a great time.

The kids love telling their friends that they camp in the snow. When in reality, we couldnt afford to do it any other way

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Well I just did 2 nights at island bend. The place is amazing I must say.
As far as the quality of your tent goes I wouldnt worry, you can get good cover from the trees so you arent going to get blown away. There are toilets but no showers and heaps of wild life around.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass