Question Which week is the best bet at Thredbo?

Lifes2good

One of Us
Jan 21, 2012
Sydney, Aust
We only ever get one week to ski in Oz each season and usually we choose end of August / first week Sept with the aim of hitting peak snow depth. Often though it is getting warm with little in the way of fresh snow falls.

Which week do you think is statistically best?

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
The kids get a couple of days off school for our Ekka here in Brisbane. That’s the second week of August. We’ve had great conditions at Thredbo in that time frame.

Arne

One of Us
Feb 7, 2011
Northern Beaches
For me it's pretty much been a different went of the season over the the last ten years. From mid June to mid September. But that's because it has involved big complex weather systems , wild weather, heaps of snow and no one around because it's so miserable. For a lot of people here that's what it's all about.

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
My grandfather always used to say last week of July/first week of august. Perhaps that has shifted by a week (or two) in the intervening decades.

it does depend on whether your looking for new snow on a base or max depth and more stable weather

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Aussie seasons are fickle, the best week could be June, July, August or September. However you increase your odds of the best conditions around mid-August. Early August-late July for potentially better quality snow on less base (Shorter days/colder nights). Or late August-early September for a deeper base, but your more likely to experience freeze-thaw type snow.
In reality to chase the best week of the season in Australia you need the flexibility to go at the drop of a hat, I also recommend following the weather experts on this site.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Aussie seasons are fickle, the best week could be June, July, August or September. However you increase your odds of the best conditions around mid-August. Early August-late July for potentially better quality snow on less base (Shorter days/colder nights). Or late August-early September for a deeper base, but your more likely to experience freeze-thaw type snow.
In reality to chase the best week of the season in Australia you need the flexibility to go at the drop of a hat, I also recommend following the weather experts on this site.
Or make good life choices and ski every day of the winter you care to. I made a poor life choice this year and have only skied 40 days

sourmash

One of Us
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
The last week of August (for a week recommendation). The third weekend in August around 20th has been on the last two years

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
August is peak season for a reason.

Best week for me would be the week that has the best skiing, in the driest snow, and that can happen literally anytime. Though usually not Nov-April.

For holiday purposes, I would still say August, 2nd or 3rd week, best chance of snow in the village, which lends an ambiance to the place.

derider

One of Us
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
I was there in the middle of August this year and it was pretty bad. Bare patches everywhere on the bottom half, lots of runs closed. Persistent rain just topped it off. It was quite disappointing.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Broken snow making on a low snow year will do that. Its like the people on holidays first week of July, "but last year there was snow everywhere!" Or the people who rate a season on the two weeks they were there. it just doesn't work like that.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Don't set yourself up for such a fall.

I've been skiing Thredbo for close to 40 years. The best time is the time you're there.

If you're limited to when you can go, generally your safest bet is Aug. In saying that, don't endure the torture of trying to pin down the weather gods, because as sure as the old boy made them little green apples, you'll get it wrong and endure a week of rain. So, my advice is, go there when you can and take what comes your way and make the best of it. It's still gotta be better than working.

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
August is peak season for a reason. For holiday purposes, I would still say August, 2nd or 3rd week, best chance of snow in the village, which lends an ambiance to the place.

This. Although if you're after a little more stable weather head for the back end of August and into the very early days of September.

As ever, the best time to be there is when your friends are there with you. Bigger group = more fun.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass