1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Whistler 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Chalkie, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So as not to hijack the SP thread with Whistler stuff, I thought I'd create this so there's a repository for Whistler 19-20 information and visitors.

Eros C and bomber like this.
  2. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Myself plus wifey and 24 year old daughter. February 2 - 10

Chalkie likes this.
  3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Me. Jan 19-30.

Chalkie likes this.
  4. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

I’m there from 27 Jan - 7 Feb. Father and 19 yr old son bonding getaway. Will come anywhere when I pay!

Chaeron, Chalkie and Sbooker like this.
  5. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Fun place. How's the season started over there to date?

6. Chalkie

Well, Whistler only opened on the weekend, and there's neither a lot of snow nor lifts and runs open yet.

OpenSnow forecasters are predicting 35cm over the next 5 days and 73cm over the next ten days. IF (and it's a big IF I think at this stage) that comes to pass, I'll head up for the day next week sometime to check out the very early season situation.

7. Chalkie

At this stage my only longish term confirmed stay on mountain is 1 Feb to 8 Feb, but there'll be plenty of spur of the moment trips to be had.

8. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    Headed up to the local hill for a slide yet ? Saw that Cypress opened on the weekend. I also heard you got a bit of a sprinkle in Van yesterday?

Chalkie likes this.
  9. Chalkie

We're in New York right now, finishing three weeks around the USA - Texas, Florida and finally NYC to catch up with friends here and binge on theatre. Heading back to Van on Sunday. The forecasts are currently promising, so fingers crossed that by Wednesday next week there's been some decent falls on the town mountains and at Whistler and we'll get ourselves out for the first ski of the season. We've bought new skis, so keen to get them earning their keep :D:D:D

luvthabumps and Roymond like this.
  10. Monsta

Monsta Hard Yards

Going late season at Easter for a week before visiting family on Vancouver Island

sly_karma and Chalkie like this.
  11. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

I'm, probably, unfortunately, heading up this Thursday for a long weekend so will report on the (lack of) snow conditions at the weekend, There's hope there might be a few more groomers added to the 11 runs that are open right now!! Normally by early December, we're riding top to bottom. Scheduled to return just before the Xmas hordes arrive, so it better be dumping by then

Winter is refusing to arrive in the Pacific Northwest at the moment. I still have flowers blooming in my garden in Seattle :(

sly_karma, Chalkie and bomber like this.
  12. Stick

Stick Hard Yards

Getting there 1st Jan for 10 Days.. Just sitting back watching snow cams and seeing way too much green

Chalkie likes this.
  13. Chalkie

We'll look forward to your report!

OpenSnow has revised its 10 day forecast downwards a bit. It looks more like consistent little falls, with some gaps between them. Not top to bottom season starters in any sense. I wonder whether this will be a late starting season? Time will tell.

14. Gimped

Gimped One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

hmmm...we are there from 18th December, not looking good but it can change quickly.

15. Chalkie

If the current predictions hold, I think by then there will be OK skiing above mid-station on groomers, but not top to bottom and a lot of the off piste and challenging stuff will likely remain closed. 18/12 is a long way off in northwest Pacific weather terms though - there just needs to be a bit of shift in how the storms are currently tracking and things could improve dramatically.

We all have our fingers and toes crossed.

16. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

Yup - we'll be there from 19th for 4 nights. Hopefully, winter will arrive by then. This weekend is looking like a ZigZag-a-thon at best

Chalkie likes this.
  17. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

ZigZag by far best run of day. Light snow and rain, soft snow. There is basically nothing off the man-made below the roundhouse/rendezvous, and doesn't look much above. Never seen so little snow here between November and June.

As usual, Whistler's 3 runs were much busier than Blackconmb's 3. But with Vancouver heading up tmr I'm going for first gondola, and having a long lunch when the hordes arrive.

Cross ya fingers and toes folks. There's bugger all in the forecast inspire confidence

Chalkie likes this.
  18. Chalkie

Sounds like it could be some time before we get up there!

19. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

yeah - stay home tmr. Tell all your friends to stay home!!!!!!!! :)

Chalkie likes this.
  20. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Hope this one comes off this week and pays dividends. It’s needs to turn soon doesn’t it for Whistler!!!

Attached Files:

Chalkie likes this.
  21. Chalkie

Absolutely. OpenSnow seems optimistic, so fingers crossed, eh?

22. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

As long as some big storms have arrived by 20th, I'll be happy! Today was 'firm'. Under snow guns was the place to be!

Chalkie likes this.
  23. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Well I’ve got until the 27th January which I guess gives me some comfort. Hoping the 13,000km journey and associated $$$ is worthwhile. Otherwise the moderate cancellation condition on Airbnb might get exercised for an alternative destination.

Chalkie likes this.
  24. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We are rolling in on the 31st for five days so hoping for some snow, plenty of time yet.

Chalkie likes this.
  25. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Booked 2 hire cars today for up and back. Locked in price on Avis.co.uk

Chalkie likes this.
  26. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

In coming! Let hope it delivers.

Attached Files:

Chalkie and bomber like this.
  27. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

not a lot I'm afraid. maybe by middle next week. We're getting blasted in Cascades east of Seattle now. Hopefully a day trip to Crystal on Sunday ;)

Chalkie and sly_karma like this.
  28. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

LL is still the place to be. The jet stream arcing north is shutting out the PNW, but it's running down the east flank of the Rockies, bringing cold dry air to the foothills and prairies. Right on the interface line sits LL, cold air mixing with warm moist air is dumping on them like mad. 81 cm last week, on top of what was already their earliest opening in 30 years. Tough week for the ladies WC course crew, they shoveled their hearts out every day, but the public would've have a blast.

Chalkie and zac150 like this.
  29. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

It’s was a toss up choosing between Whistler and Banff for my first trip to Canada. Opted for the Epic pass during the Aussie season to hit Whistler and a little recon look around Sun Peaks. Hoping it turns before I hit the deck in late Jan.

30. Chalkie

Not much snow delivered by the latest system to Whistler - it mostly went south of the border into Washington state (one resort there got nearly 4 feet of snow!!!). The current prediction is for flurries to end over the weekend and then it's clear into next week. There's a storm system predicted to come at the end of next week, but it seems a bit far out to be saying anything very much about that at this stage.

The Vancouver "town" mountains (Cypress, Grouse, Seymour) also did better out of the most recent storm than did Whistler, and there's more snow predicted for them this week. I was hoping to get up midweek, but the weather forecasts don't look too promising. I'll keep a close eye on that. I am really itching to go skiing!!!!!

31. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Had a look at Grouse mountain cam and it looks a treat following the last front that came through. Have been monitoring a number of weather sites including the GFS modelling and see no reliability in predicting upcoming front more than 3 days off atm. Understand there are many factors affecting fronts but I have noticed large shifts that are completely off track compared to what we experience with our Southern Hemisphere weather patterns forecasts. Just my obs atm.

32. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

I've already burned my 5 days on Ikon Pass at Lake Louse this season!! The last weekend in November was mighty fine. Sounds like it is rather superb now.

The storm of the last few days certainly bucked up conditions in WA. But it fell on mostly nothing so we'll have Baker and Crystal open, but both will need another foot or two to approach normal opening day conditions. We'll day trip to Crystal Sunday just for fun. Another groomer day!

sly_karma likes this.
  33. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Am I missing something here. Whistler web site is forecast a modest 5-10cm this week while other sites are predicting 1m+.

34. Gimped

Gimped One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

That's Whistler for you :(

35. PG2736

PG2736 Hard Yards

That is an old forecast...website doesn’t seem to be updating. The co that provides the forecast always under report.