1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Whistler 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Chalkie, Dec 3, 2019.

1. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds like I timed it well :D

Sage Oya and Chalkie like this.
  2. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The met people here no longer use the term 'pineapple express'. Now it's the more globally applicable term 'atmospheric river.' All same same, its pissing down at Whistler .

Ozgirl, Zeroz and Chalkie like this.
  3. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Temp just jumped 5 deg in 15 min to 6 deg in Village. WTF.

4. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Was anyone out today after the carnage yesterday.

5. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Heading up tomorrow for a week. It's hard to tell the damage on the cams. Colder air is on the way, although it looks like snowfall is lessening.

Eros C likes this.
  6. aazz

aazz One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I had my first day today. I was on the Whistler side all day. Avy bombs going off all day in the alpine, which was shut. There were some nice runs but there were some crap ones as well, not a bad day to get my ski legs back from September. Hoping for better conditions in the next fortnight.

Jacko4650, DidSurfNowSki and Eros C like this.
  7. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Been sitting it out with a man flu for the last two days which was timely with the recent weather. Back into it tomorrow but haven’t experienced the weekend warrior crowd yet. Minimal lift lines during the week but tomorrow will be interesting.

8. Chalkie

Gorgeous day at Whistler. About 10cm fresh & dry overnight, and my first glorious sunshine of the season!

9. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

yep had a great day also. Still icy on shaded runs but improving slightly with the top up. Still getting the feeling back in toes and fingers after the cold temps and skiing up around the peak. Another layer perhaps tomorrow if the temps repeat.

Chalkie likes this.
  10. Chalkie

Nice day out on the slopes today. Visibility variable (aka cloudy and misty at different elevations), but this morning the snow was spectactular - 5 to 10 cm of fresh dry snow overnight very nicely tidied things up. The crowds were very light. We found fresh stashes all day, but this morning (especially over at Symphony where we arrived as soon as it started spinning) was pure delight!

The forecast now is for snow over the next two days and then some sun on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

FatBoyDave, Normo, Sage Oya and 2 others like this.
  11. Chalkie

What a day today!

Headed up Blackcomb, had lovely first runs off Excelerator. Then saw 7th Heaven had opened, so off we went. Halfway up Jersey Cream we noticed our goggles were getting a bit frozen. Odd, we thought. Skied down to bottom on 7th Heaven, all ok, and then halfway up 7th Heaven the freezing fog set in. By the time we got off the lift, all surfaces were icing up. Getting down from the top of 7th Heaven was carnage - eventually we had to ditch goggles and try and ski with freezing fog starting to freeze our contact lenses (worn by all but one (the 18 y.o.) in the party).

In for a coffee and to defrost. Looked up freezing fog on the interweb. Exactly what we'd experienced. Supercooled fog that freezes on contact with surfaces in below freezing conditions.

After that, we had snow, non-freezing fog, and more snow. The last couple of runs were the best of the day!

Jacko4650, Normo, Sage Oya and 2 others like this.
  12. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We encountered the freezing fog for the first time this season, twice at Big White and once at Apex.....very strange business indeed.

Chalkie likes this.
  13. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We bought these small squeegie things to scrape the ice off the goggles at BW. They clicked onto a carabiner on your gloves.
    Very handy. It was that or running into trees.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  14. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Skigees. Work well, but if you have a reflective coating on goggles they destroys it pretty quickly.

I have experienced freezing for at Perisher on a few occasions as well.

Normo and northsail like this.
  15. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

yup, had them for years but never had to use them every 5 or 6 turns...... and not to scratch ice off !!!! was a shocker.

Chalkie likes this.
  16. northsail

northsail One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Trashed a pair of goggles last year thanks to @Beerman. Did improve vision however.

Normo and Beerman like this.
  17. Chalkie

One of my pairs of gloves has a built-in one in one finger. Alas, they are no longer my favourite pair of gloves. My new favourite pair of gloves doesn't have the built-in skigee.

Roymond and northsail like this.
  18. Chalkie

So ended a terrific week at Whistler. 12cm fresh nice snow last night, and we awoke to a bluebird day:

Oh Canada:

But there's a dark side to a bluebird Saturday after a week of snow at Whistler (Harmony Chair; 9.30am):

We did this once. And later at Symphony (which irritatingly did not open until nearly midday :mad::mad::mad:). And at Peak Express after lunch (the board said it was "light"). To avoid the crowds, we did a bit of mid-mountain skiing, and that was great fun - the weather so lovely and the snow in such good condition, there was nothing really to complain about. What we should have done was go over to Blackcomb, but the day got away from us.

I think the biggest lesson I learned from this week was to try and plan the next long visit to Whistler with friends on a Tuesday to Tuesday or Wednesday to Wednesday basis. This way one can get in a few days' skiing, then have a rest or other activity day (the Whistler ziplining is great fun) and avoid the weekend lift lines. Then again, powder and bluebird days and all that might put the best laid plans of mice and men to nought. In the past we've tended to do Saturday to Saturday (this one was a Sunday to Sunday).

Otherwise - the Pan Pacific Mountainside (where we stayed) continues to deliver. The location can't be beat (right at the Whistler Gondola and Blackcomb Excalibur Gondola), the rooms (which have a "full" kitchen; bring your own sharp knives and a plastic chopping board) are comfortable and well-appointed, and the Dubh Linn Gate Irish pub on site is pretty good (good beer and bands). We catered alternate nights in and out, and the kitchen worked perfectly well to make veggie lasagne, risotto, and frittata, plus most of our breakfasts and apres drinks.

Sushi Village remained up to standard for 2 dinners, as did La Brasserie for a great breakky. Pasta Lupino (thanks @andrew7 for the reccie) was a great recommendation and we'll be going back there. Tonight we're heading over to the Fairmont for dinner at Wildflower (to which we've never been. Usually Araxi would be our "big night out" meal, but one of our party this time is a vegetarian and Wildflower had some very nice looking vegetarian options on the menu, so we thought we'd give it a go. Unlike @robbo mcs, we've always found Araxi to be fantastic - and I celebrated my 50th birthday there in the private dining room, and was very well looked after). Tomorrow's departure breakky will be at Crepes Montagne (thanks @robbo mcs for that reccie).

Our trip up to Whistler for the day I think will be sometime in March. We're off to Aspen the week after next! I've skied a fair bit in Colorado over the years, but never Aspen so it will be a new adventure for me!

19. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hi, just to clarify for others, I do like Araxi, and go there everytime I am in town:) I probably didn’t make it clear in my post. I said I thought it was overated. People have spoken to me in mystical tones about how it’s easily the best restaurant in Whistler, like a 3 star michelin restaurant. Personally I think it’s great, but not at that level. Also people wax lyrical about the oysters, “you must have the oysters”. Having grown in Sydney .... meh:whistle:

So I didn’t make it clear, it is a top notch restuaurant, probably vying with barefoot bistro for the best in town:)

Sage Oya and Chalkie like this.
  20. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi @Chalkie . How long are you at Aspen ? We are at Snowmass from 11-19th March if you are still there...

21. chicski

I didn’t eat out at all in Whistler, apart from apres “snacks” which were generally enough for me to not need dinner.

I was ski, sometimes apres, hot tub, PJs, sometimes dinner, often just cheese and wine, Netflix, bed, repeat.

I did eat out for breakfast on my rest day.

How do you all find the energy?

Chalkie likes this.
  22. Chalkie

Alas not overlapping - I'm in Aspen 22-29 February.

Roymond likes this.
  23. Chalkie

Having a rest week next week and going on a diet...LOLLOLLOL

chicski likes this.
  24. FLI355

FLI355 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

in an office thinking about waist deep powder
    Araxi is nice but not incredible. Agree with robbo.

25. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Agreed, rated rim rock cafe above araxi for vibe and food.

26. PG2736

PG2736 Addicted

Araxi is nice but I reckon Il Caminetto pick of them all. The room is sensational and service and food excellent. Funnily enough owned by the same group. I saw Joe Forte's is opening in Whistler which will be good. Hadn't opened when we were there in Jan.

27. Harper11

Harper11 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

love the pan Pacific, stayed there many times
    Is it still holding up ok?
    Location can’t be beaten really

28. aazz

aazz One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The ice cave. An interesting place to have a look.

Jacko4650, Chalkie and whether like this.
  29. Chalkie

Still holding up very well. The location makes it for me.

30. Bendalong+

Bendalong+ One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Wow, so much more snow depth than last season, pretty much walked into the cave on level.

aazz likes this.
  31. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Ok back from our 2 week stay at Whistler. Have skied a number of resorts in Japan and Italy sometime ago. Having read mixed reviews before leaving, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Our stay included a mixed bag of weather including sun, fog, powder and a major rain storm. Conclusion: it’s definitely the best mountain area I have skied to date. Resort was amazing and had everything you desired for young and old. Yes snow may not have been as dry as Japan, but there was enough ski area to explore that snow quality was never an issue. It’s massive!!! If it was a little damp just ski a little higher for that day. Lift lines were heavy on weekends as expected and no different to what we get back home. Wasn’t too bad. People were so friendly and service A1 in restaurants. Groomers were sooooo long that my legs are still burning. Off piste runs and views were amazing and definitely made me rethink the 85cm underfoot skis. Son moved up to a 95cm and he never looked back!! For those thinking about Whistler, go for it as you will not be disappointed if weather is on your side. It was a slow start but we nailed our timeslot apart for the jet stream of rain which hit the resort for a whole day. Will return for sure with wider skis next time.

Boodwah, Chalkie, Sage Oya and 7 others like this.
  32. Kimski

Kimski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Nice report.

I’m considering Canada or US for my next trip.

I’ve read that Whistler lift tickets are pretty expensive. How did you find costs?

33. chicski

Funny. I took my wide skis (Volkl Aura 100mm) and apart from one magic bluebird day, I wished for my 84mm skis. Whistler was free for me on my Epic Australia Pass. I really enjoyed my time at Whistler, but the variability of snow conditions between top and bottom, mean it wouldn’t be my first choice as a return destination. Yet I met people from all countries who return, same week, year after year.

34. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

I went to Whistler the first weekend I was here (in Vancouver).. I found it a bit overpriced and way way overcrowded - I did learnt (from a NZ couple I met on the lift) that the best value way was via the Epic Aust. pass, but unfortunately I paid day rates which amounted to around 170CAD a day for 45min lift queues at the bottom gondola..not cool.

Last weekend I went to the 2 local Vancouver mountains (Grouse & Seymour) and felt better experience there in relation to the price/value.

Chalkie likes this.
  35. chicski

Whistler on a weekend is like every other Epic resort I’ve skied on a weekend. Mid week, no real queues. Value was perfect for me, already had 20 days on my pass.

Chalkie and Sage Oya like this.
  36. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

I did’t think the weekend lift lines were too bad on our trip this year. If the whistler gondy had a long line first up we just skied straight onto the fitzsimmons chair then the garbanzo to get up the mountain. If any particular chair got busy we just moved onto another location same as I’d do at home :)

Eros C, aazz, sly_karma and 1 other person like this.
  37. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

We purposely purchased an Epic pass last season to explore Perisher and hit Whistler. Pass includes 10 days at Whistler which Is great. Basically skied for free after the Australian season. We mainly ski Hotham so suited us to a tee. Prices are high so I would definitely consider a season pass. If you are considering a longer stay you can upgrade to an unlimited pass. Rest of resort for eating no different to vic. Catching happy hours is suggested.

Kimski likes this.
  38. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

2 sets of skis definitely required. When the conditions are right, laying fresh tracks is a must and 85cm is a slog sometimes. Km’s of groomers become boring after a week and exploring off piste if legs haven’t seized is recommended for sure.

39. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Unless fresh pow overnight, sleep in a little, miss morning rush and ski until last lift without lunch break. Miss morning rush no probs. However no issues during the week. Weekend heavy yes but many lift options to get up to Alpine. Just don’t stay at Creekside for a weekend stay.

Chalkie and Sage Oya like this.
  40. chicski

I was off piste a lot, and my skinnier skis would have been fine. The only day my wider skis came into their own was a knee deep fresh day in the Whistler bowls. I’m not travelling with 2 sets of skis LOL I’m only light, I don’t sink much.

Eros C likes this.
  41. Harper11

Harper11 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Margarita, a joint and no pants at whistler

42. Chalkie

Whistler-Blackcomb operations closed 15-22 March while Vail Resorts "assesses the situation".

43. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

CSIA already refunding me course fees for a course 3 weeks away. Writing on the wall.

Will see how fast I get kicked out of the resort when I skin up tomorrow.

44. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

so bad luck if you are half way through a 4 week rental?

45. Chalkie

That's about the size of it.

46. ralphplough

ralphplough One of Us

Travel insurance provided you didn’t book after pandemic was declared.

47. chicski

Many policies have a built in pandemic and epidemic exclusion. Mine did. Never thought twice about it before.

48. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

well that really depends.

many insurance poloicies may have a pandemic clause long before changes were made for the added CV19 clause.

The declaration of a pndemic is like a major FM event for insurance companies.

but in addition, if the accommodation is still there for you to use and you arent being kicked out, then you might only be able to claim for your lift tickets, assuming whistler doesnt refund them

49. ralphplough

ralphplough One of Us

The way my broker explained it is if the policy was purchased prior to the pandemic being declared, you are likely covered.

It will depend on your policy but I reckon there is a good chance of coverage.

50. Bendalong+

Bendalong+ One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Vail's refund policy is not to refund.
    I had to cancel my trip to Canada in February due to a vertebrae fracture. Fernie refunded with no penalty, however Vail/Whistler refused, which is now with travel insurance.