Question Whistler Blackcomb accommodation thoughts

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
@luvthabumps - I'm sure you have your favourite beans, but getting them when you're out of town isn't always easy. Pretty decent beans widely distributed in BC supermarkets by Kicking Horse Coffee. Their Kick Ass dark is my personal favourite.

We had friends bring us 2kg's of this when we were living in Nambia and couldn't get the coffee we preferred....awesome :D thanks @bigwhite-rameok

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
So, back to W-B accommodation...

Looking at a short stay on my way back from interior BC. Will be travelling solo, no car. Planning to arrive on the SP-WB shuttle Sunday 5th March and leave on the YVR airport shuttle Saturday 11th.

One must is that I have to be able to easily get to the "Base" by 8.30am. The group I'm joining have set a meeting point between the Whistler and Excalibur gondola bases each day at 8.30.

Looking mainly at hotel rooms. Shared backpacker dorm rooms aren't my preferred option as I need to use a CPAP machine, which needs a power point and makes noise which may disturb others.

So far the Pinnacle Hotel in Whistler Village looks good. They claim to be a 9 minute walk from the gondola bases. would that be 9 minutes in ski boots, carrying skis, or 9 minutes in summer?

Has anyone here stayed there or have something similar to recommend?

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
So, back to W-B accommodation...

Looking at a short stay on my way back from interior BC. Will be travelling solo, no car. Planning to arrive on the SP-WB shuttle Sunday 5th March and leave on the YVR airport shuttle Saturday 11th.

One must is that I have to be able to easily get to the "Base" by 8.30am. The group I'm joining have set a meeting point between the Whistler and Excalibur gondola bases each day at 8.30.

Looking mainly at hotel rooms. Shared backpacker dorm rooms aren't my preferred option as I need to use a CPAP machine, which needs a power point and makes noise which may disturb others.

So far the Pinnacle Hotel in Whistler Village looks good. They claim to be a 9 minute walk from the gondola bases. would that be 9 minutes in ski boots, carrying skis, or 9 minutes in summer?

Has anyone here stayed there or have something similar to recommend?
I stayed at the Pinnacle probably about 10 years ago now.

Hotel was fine, no complaints from me and would happily stay their again.
Its definitely a fair 9 minute walk to the lifts, very manageable in regular shoes. Probably about as much as you would want in boots. There are lockers in town you can stash shoes in if it gets to much, at the end of a long day skiing the walk isnt all that much fun.
Most of the walk is along the village stroll, so even in winter the heated streets melts away the snow pretty quickly so unless you get a big low snow level dump it will be a clean walk.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Its definitely a fair 9 minute walk to the lifts, very manageable in regular shoes. Probably about as much as you would want in boots. There are lockers in town you can stash shoes in if it gets to much, at the end of a long day skiing the walk isnt all that much fun.
Great info, thanks.

Sounds like it'd be worth my while to stash a boot bag in the locker with the shoes too, to make the boot carry at the end of the day that much easier.

The shuttle bus doesn't pick up through the village at all?

Reactions: Chowder11

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Great info, thanks.

Sounds like it'd be worth my while to stash a boot bag in the locker with the shoes too, to make the boot carry at the end of the day that much easier.

Id suggest it.
Kills its fine walk in the morning, but the walk home after a long day skiing isnt fun.
Not to mention the damage it does to your boots walking those distances on the concrete.
Dont forget you will go straight to Apres drinks after skiing so if you can offload your ski boots straight away it will make life a lot easier, carrying a tray of beers in ski boots can cause its challenges, especially after 4 or 5.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Not to mention the damage it does to your boots walking those distances on the concrete.
Yes, I was concerned about that.
Dont forget you will go straight to Apres drinks after skiing
And how.

The Whistler stop is the holiday part of "ski holiday". After a 5 1/2 week mission to improve my skiing in interior BC, I'll be adding some international flavour to the Epicski gathering in WB. Aprés will definitely be on the menu. :cheers:

Reactions: Chowder11

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Great info, thanks.

As "jgm" said there is a shuttle stop at Pinnacle.
We stayed one time across the road at Cascade lodge and took the shuttle (which drops you next to the base of Blackcomb gondola).
Also............maybe have a look at The Listel Hotel. May also offer what you are after and very close to lifts.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Yes, I was concerned about that.

And how.

The Whistler stop is the holiday part of "ski holiday". After a 5 1/2 week mission to improve my skiing in interior BC, I'll be adding some international flavour to the Epicski gathering in WB. Aprés will definitely be on the menu. :cheers:
Have you been there before?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
As "jgm" said there is a shuttle stop at Pinnacle.
We stayed one time across the road at Cascade lodge and took the shuttle (which drops you next to the base of Blackcomb gondola).
Also............maybe have a look at The Listel Hotel. May also offer what you are after and very close to lifts.
Awesome, thanks.

Still taking any and all suggestions while I wait for Air Canada to call me back (from yesterday, grrr) and tell me how much they're going to rape me to change my return flight.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Have you been there before?
No, first ever OS trip.

I fully expect to further improve my skiing at WB if that's what you're getting at. But it won't be lessons, drills and practice. More social skiing in a group of people of a similar skill level wanting to improve, being guided by instructors sharing their expertise and experience.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
No, first ever OS trip.

I fully expect to further improve my skiing at WB if that's what you're getting at. But it won't be lessons, drills and practice. More social skiing in a group of people of a similar skill level wanting to improve, being guided by instructors sharing their expertise and experience.
Nah I was just going to say that it will blow your mind. I'm glad you're going there after the interior resorts.

Well, to say I'm excited about skiing this weekend is a massive understatement. Winter tyres are on, bought a Yakima roof box today and can't wait to hit it.

The resort looks in great shape, the forecast for the rest of the week is excellent and I'll be picking up jnr miss LTB from school at EAS in UBC at 3.00pm and heading straight up. As I said earlier our first 3 weekends are in a 1br at the Aspens via Air Bnb but, on the strength of our Halloween visit to the Fairmont, we've decided to do something completely different for the rest of the season and have booked 35 room nights through Platinum Amex Travel at the Fairmont on an exceptional deal (pretty much 50% off rack rates) Never been a hotel stayer before really but looks like it will be a lot of fun and a number of EAS families do the same so should be good social activities as well :D

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
No, first ever OS trip.

Awesome first OS trip, enjoy.

Whistler will absolutely blow your mind, it is such an amazing joint, both on and off mountain.

Hope you doing some leg training, otherwise you will seriously suffer.

Reactions: Marty McSly

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Well, to say I'm excited about skiing this weekend is a massive understatement. Winter tyres are on, bought a Yakima roof box today and can't wait to hit it.

The resort looks in great shape, the forecast for the rest of the week is excellent and I'll be picking up jnr miss LTB from school at EAS in UBC at 3.00pm and heading straight up. As I said earlier our first 3 weekends are in a 1br at the Aspens via Air Bnb but, on the strength of our Halloween visit to the Fairmont, we've decided to do something completely different for the rest of the season and have booked 35 room nights through Platinum Amex Travel at the Fairmont on an exceptional deal (pretty much 50% off rack rates) Never been a hotel stayer before really but looks like it will be a lot of fun and a number of EAS families do the same so should be good social activities as well :D
Fairmont Whistler???

Stayed there last year, amazing joint.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne

You are going to have an insanely good time I suspect!

Reactions: luvthabumps

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Southern part of Brisbane
Great info, thanks.

You don't need to pay for a locker. Go downstairs under crystal lodge - next to the long horn they have lockers there, but I walk in walking boots carrying my ski boots and just put my walking boots on top of the lockers. They will also store your skis overnight for a fee. Well worth not carrying skis and it is right opposite the gondola. I am in whistler now and did it today. No problem. I always do this in whistler. I stay at the alpenglow and it is an 8 minute walk to the gondola. That is a leisurely pace. So as soon as you come down the mountain you can change into walking shoes and store your skis - makes après far more enjoyable - just remember to take your ski boots home!

Reactions: Marty McSly
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass