1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Whistler Jan/Feb 2020 advice needed

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Eros C, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Have locked in flights to Vancouver arriving late Jan 2020 for a 17 day stay. Considering at the moment staying 11 days at Whistler before moving maybe with car to explore the surrounding areas. Is 11 days about right to get a feel of the mountain or is it too long?
    With respect to Whistler is it recommended to stay in main village area or upper village or would Creekside suffice. Are there free shuttle buses between the two areas in the evening to explore if staying at Creekside. If I had 6 days remaining after Whistler which resorts would be recommended to explore. Should I consider a car or can I transfer to other resorts by bus directly from Whistler. Any help would be appreciated. We have 2 travellers in the group myself and 19 year old son. Both advanced Skiers.

2. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Whistler is massive. You could easily spend 11 days there and not see it all.

Eros C and Lady Penelope like this.
  3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I don't know much about Whistler other than to say that in previous years there has been a shuttle from Whistler to Sun Peaks a couple of times a week.

Eros C likes this.
  4. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

11 days should give you a reasonable introduction to WB.

Eros C likes this.
  5. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

11 days is loads...unless you go bc of course.
    WB is expansive for sure. If you want a bit of an explore of western CA, suggest hedging more and spending less in WB and a few extra days for other places.

Eros C likes this.
  6. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

I think 11 days will be sufficient, depending upon weather. Personally I’d stay in the village or at Blackcomb rather than Creekside (limited access and a little too isolated from restaurants, supermarkets, etc). We stayed at Coast Blackcomb Suites at the top of Blackcomb (now called something a little different) which offered ski in/ski out access to Blackcomb. A bus ride into the village and restaurants/shops, although the buses were sometimes less than reliable. Terrible internet, though, if that matters. As Legs has noted, there is a shuttle bus to Sun Peaks, although it only runs on certain days. If you have a car, note that you will have to pay for parking in Whistler wherever you stay (around $25 - $30 per day).

Eros C likes this.
  7. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I wouldn’t go to Sun Peaks after spending 11 days at WB. The terrain at Whistler will make the ‘flatter’ Sun Peaks an anticlimax. Perhaps Sun Peaks before Whistler would be better.
    If you’re looking for somewhere after WB maybe a better option would be Red, Revelstoke or Kicking Horse?

blowfin and Eros C like this.
  8. absentskier

Whistler is not particularly close to any of the other mountains that excel for advanced skiers. Personally, I’d be looking at getting to Red and Whitewater.

Eros C likes this.
  9. absentskier

Or maybe Apex.

Eros C likes this.
  10. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

naaaaahhh Apex is crap ;)

KneeDeep likes this.
  11. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Addicted

Apart from the daily cost of parking, having a car for the 11 days at Whistler would be a waste of money as you probably wouldn't use it once you were there. Better to bus it to and from Vancouver then pick up a car to try out your additional hills. Bear in mind the more challenging hills (Red Whitewater Revelstoke Fernie Kicking Horse etc) are in the more eastern part of BC so quite a drive from Whistler or Vancouver.

Marty_McSly and Eros C like this.
  12. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

for 11 days, you potentially use 2-3 days for checkout/driving etc, assuming no weather delays. So if you are focusing on skiing, then for a short holiday its probably better to stay in one place, but if the drive is part of the holiday (and yes the drive part is magnificent), then go for it

Hoodie and Eros C like this.
  13. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

But very doable anyway. And as Gareth says it's a lovely drive.
    If you have a car and the weather doesn't look too dodgy take the Duffy Lake Road to Kamloops from Whistler. Awesome scenery.

The Plowking and Eros C like this.
  14. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Thanks all for your responses. Decided to book a condo just north of the main village which is on route 4 of the free shuttle bus. Would prefer to be walking distance to lifts but wanted a place with a sitting lounge area within my budget. Have booked 11 full days at Whistler for now, however have a further 5 days up my sleeve to either extend or move on. If a shuttle bus to another resort is available from Whistler will consider for a look further inland. Or alternatively rent a car to explore for 5 days. Need to consider distances in my planning and conditions of course before we head back to Vancouver for our return. Just need to lock in an Epic pass to cover my 10 days and I’m good to go.

15. gareth_oau

The next closest resort would be Mt Washington, on Vancouver Island, so take your car over on the ferry ($100ish), or drive to Sun Peaks over 2 different routes (depending on weather)

Eros C likes this.
  16. Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Fly to Calgary, bus to Banff and ski sunshine/lake Louise

gaz35 and Eros C like this.
  17. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Thinking about Sun Peaks for a Tourist drive inland. Leaving Friday early morn from Whistler and returning to Vancouver Airport on Wednesday late. Has anyone rented a car with ski racks as we have our own gear. Have enquires through Avis online, but no options available with roof racks with selections. Any tips on rentals would be great. Thanks

18. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Would love to do Banff, but will need to look at my budget and time. Getting there and returning.

19. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Yes Sun Peaks is on my radar atm. Just wondering whether you have any info on car rental companies that include ski racks on there options. Considering a Ford Escape as there are only two of us but don’t think skis can fit in car. Struggling to find a company online that offers racks within their booking app. Cheers

20. gareth_oau

you shouldnt have any problems putting skis inside your rental. We've rented a Ford Escape for 2 people, with 2x suitcases and 2 ski bags, plus groceries.

Hertz offers a ski rack option
    https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/productservice/index.jsp?targetPage=skiracksUS.jsp

but you will "pay" by booking directly

Suggest booking via airportrentals.com or economycarrentals.com (both booking agents) and then try adding them directly trhough the hire company once booked

Eros C likes this.
  21. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Just booked return flight to Vancouver for late Jan to mid Feb 2020 for our honeymoon. Will also need to call on ski.com.au's members to help with planning/tips soon, thanks in advance! :D

sly_karma likes this.
  22. gareth_oau

peak accommodation at ski resorts starts on 14th February, so ifyou are budgeting try and avoid that time slot

23. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Cheers @gareth_oau, we’re arriving 20 Jan and returning 10 Feb so will be there just prior to peak by the sounds of it.

gareth_oau likes this.
  24. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

thanks Gareth - what happens on 14 Feb - is that school holidays? Accommodation increases in price and harder to get?
    cheers

25. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Presidents weekend?

26. gareth_oau

Yep on Monday 18t.

But apparently Canadians prefer skiing in February because there is typically more snow and less cold @sly_karma

27. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

General January effect, coldest month and post Christmas broke syndrome. Feb days are nicely lengthening and snow base is healthy. Presidents day and Family Day holidays mid Feb roll into March and the next thing you know it's spring break school hols.

28. Hoodie

Hoodie Hard Yards

This is an important thing you can burn a lot of time and money moving from place to place - I usually find my best holidays are spent in one location and WB has enough to do to keep you both busy.

29. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Once, a long time ago, I bought some cheap roof racks and threw them away at the end of the trip.

30. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Paid the airfares and 50% of accom for 8 days in Whistler from Feb 2. Rush decision due to cheap airfares from Qantas which ended yesterday.
    A few nights in SF then Whistler then quick 2 nights in Van and a stop off in Honolulu to defrost on the way home.

gaz35, KneeDeep and aazz like this.
  31. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just looking at ski rentals and things appear to have changed since 2017. It seems you end up on RentSkis.com or SkiRentals.com for most of the outlets at Whistler.
    Last time we hired from Salomon as we also had storage at the Pan Pac Mountainside.
    Appreciate any advice or background as the prices vary on the websites.
    Sports skis etc $308.28 at Affinity or $371.40 at Summit.

Thanks
    PT