Whistler Summer 2017 Jobs/Accom

Torren

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2017
Hey guys, to start off my first post I would just like to introduce myself. Im 19yr old Aussie planing to move to whistler this year to do a summer season with my girlfriend.

I understand this site is mainly winter season questions etc but I thought I’d give it a shot anyway haha,

So the plan is to move to Canada in May as most places start posting jobs around then for summer, the ultimate goal is to land a job within blackcomb and have staff housing along with that too, GG.
But realistically not everything fall’s into plan. While we will be in Vancouver for awhile (setting up SIN,bank,Phone number etc) also traveling into whistler to go for job interviews being so close to Van we would not move to Whistler until we secure a job there.

My first question is, Say we do not get offered staff housing and we have to find either Hostels, Seasonal Renting or Air BNB, How limited are we too finding a room to stay in Start/During summer season? I have been looking at seasonal renting currently i.e Rideonwhistler.com and they have almost full availability as off now. Im just wonder if anyone has had to find accommodation during season and how hard was it to find etc. I understand the cost is going to be a little more then staff housing obviously.

My second question is, Okay say that we pre-booked our accommodation with either Air BNB or seasonal renting for instance June - July and within that time frame we do get offered a job with staff housing is there any way you could delay that offer? I doubt it since WB is pretty full on each season with Staff housing. but worth the ask if anyone has experience with this! Why im asking this is because either air bnb or seasonal renting you pick how long you want to stay for then you pay the price and if you leave before the end date you do not get the remainder of your money back.

I hope this all makes sense and there is someone out there who has had similar experience in this situation or anyone who can lead me in the right direction would be much appreciated!!

Thanks guys! ;):emoji_call_me:

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Southern part of Brisbane
Whistler has a serious housing shortage for staff. You will only get staff housing if you work for whistlerblackcomb ski company. They will guarantee staff housing for the first year you are there and then you are on your own. The ability to qualify for this housing depends on the position you get with them. For all other work you will find that potential employers want to know that you have secured accommodation before they will hire. A tough position as most people, like you, don't want to commit until you have a job. But the housing shortage for employees is very tough. Good luck.

Torren

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2017
Thanks for your reply @skidiva

Yeah sticky situation I am in.
With other jobs that are not associated with Staff housing, is it fine to say you are accommodating in a Air BnB or Hostel around the area where you are apply for (i.e Whistler) when they ask? Are they really that inquisitive of where/who you are staying with as supposed you just let them know you have secured accommodation for the season within short distance travel to and from work?

I guess it does all come down to the employer but if anyone has had experience or similar with this let me know!
Cheers

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Southern part of Brisbane
Thanks for your reply @skidiva

Yeah sticky situation I am in.
With other jobs that are not associated with Staff housing, is it fine to say you are accommodating in a Air BnB or Hostel around the area where you are apply for (i.e Whistler) when they ask? Are they really that inquisitive of where/who you are staying with as supposed you just let them know you have secured accommodation for the season within short distance travel to and from work?

I guess it does all come down to the employer but if anyone has had experience or similar with this let me know!
Cheers
There were many articles in the local paper about staffing issues when I was there from the start of this snow season and the conundrum of jobs and the need for housing first. As housing for staff is so hard now as people who used to rent to employees can now make more money by renting out rooms to visitors through airbnb and vrbo, this has impacted the ability of workers to get rooms etc for the season. Employers now need to know you have accommodation before they hire as they know how expensive employee accommodation can be and the difficulties in getting accommodation for either the winter or summer season. It's a chicken and egg scenario - sadly. If you have good references for retail and/or bar work or housekeeping work and the appropriate visa - then it would be best to commit to a seasonal rental and then apply for jobs - you will need savings to cover at least the first months rent but then you should be right to get a job providing you have the appropriate work experience/references and visa - it is a risk - but depends on how much you want the whistler experience - you won't make money - you will be in the negative - but you will have a life experience.

Reactions: Torren
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass