Whistler trip - travel SIM / iPhone power bank?

BullerBoyz

Hard Yards
Oct 2, 2007
Hi,
Just wanted to canvas for some advice on the following:

1. what's the best travel SIM for Canada ?

2. given the rather cold temps at the moment, do people use those thermal sleeves for iPhones to preserve battery life and also, any recommendations (brand) for a power bank?
thanks !!

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
Internet has been good in all motels/accommodation.
Offline maps for driving has worked to this point on our trip.
Ski days are pretty short 9 to 3.30 so battery storage should not be an issue.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
^^ what he said.
Keep phones, cameras, electronics in inside pockets, body warmth is enough.
Wifi your way across Canada, is what most of us do. Have an email address that you never use, so you can log into some networks.

Reactions: Chalkie

Hoodie

Hard Yards
Jan 4, 2018
I just grabbed an Optus month to month sim on $59 a month - gave me unlimited phone and text in Canada and 2gb data (I got 2 lots of 2gb because I did the plan for 2 months in total and it rolled over halfway through the trip) which is enough for google maps while driving etc

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Family and friends with iphones seem to have more problems in the cold in general than what the Samsung phones experience. Keeping them right inside close to body heat will help but of course is more inconvenient if you're taking lots of pictures at a new resort or on a really good day. An old race course trick to keep radios working all day in the cold is to put a chemical hand warmer in the pocket with the radio, or even tape it over the battery.

Reactions: Ozgirl and Chalkie

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Have not had any issues with my iPhone battery. Outside chest pocket, lots of photos

Reactions: Ozgirl

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016
I used King Sims, worked perfectly. Did have some minor problems with my phone on 1 particular day, but outside of that no issues.

Sage Oya

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
We grabbed 'Chatr' prepaid simcards when we landed in Vancouver from best buy mobile in the CF Pacific Centre (701 West Georgia St., Unit D038C, Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5, Canada).

Paid $50 CAD for 8 gig data and unlimited local talk and text. Worked perfectly in Whistler and also on our road trip though BC and Alberta (Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Kimberly and Fernie). Had plenty of data for using maps, net browsing and iclouding photos etc over our 3 weeks.

A362EA4D-14B0-4E34-BC8C-A83E146A309C.png

Shoey

Hard Yards
Aug 12, 2018
Sydney
I'm currently using Flexiroam for the next week. I have it as an eSIM since Japan and they sell plans based on location/specified dates. For 8 days 1GB in Canada it was $7USD on special (normally $17).

1GB definitely not a lot, but with the hostels/resorts having WiFi it is really only for emergency maps/chat etc.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
BTW I went with Simcorner, USA and Canada AT&T, unlimited calls and data. $95 for a month. It’s been faultless.
You really need to get the Optus plan above!!

typically a 20% discount in May when they launch new pricing

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
You really need to get the Optus plan above!!

typically a 20% discount in May when they launch new pricing
I’m in the process of swapping up to Moose mobile on $29 pm plans. The Optus is $59 pm with way more data than I’ll ever need. I’m better off cheaper year round and buying an overseas sim if I need it.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I’m in the process of swapping up to Moose mobile on $29 pm plans. The Optus is $59 pm with way more data than I’ll ever need. I’m better off cheaper year round and buying an overseas sim if I need it.
I’m the same and going to move to mobile modem. Cause I don’t use 80gb combine.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Have an email address that you never use, so you can log into some networks.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of actually creating another email address, mailinator.com is handy for this. Anything followed by @ mailinator.com creates an email address that anyone can access. Handy for throwaway use (or to get quotes from those insurance companies like Youi that want to harass you afterwards >.> )

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass