1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Who lives in Bright ?

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by DbSki, Sep 20, 2012.

1. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Does anyone here live in Bright and if so can you give me a few points + - about living in Bright ?

Job is no issue I'd be taking my established small eng business with me that doesn't rely on local trade and found a few rental places, one at the end of the street to the factory I'm looking at

1 up no dependants and old and crusty and work is life otherwise so not interested in night life or pub etc and sampled the eateries and they have some good ones.
    Bright seems like a town people go to rather than go through most of the time and I always stop there for takeaways.

Ski daily winters and maybe ride off road mtrbikes other times for rec and the GAR bus is cheap so could walk to work and bus to the hill to ski and would have little use for the car which would save me a pile of fuel too.

For the business its close to Hume and Wangaratta and interstate road port to send product out and I buy stock in lots and raw materials like steel I could get localy there and those issues covered.
    So the rest just comes down to what's it like living in Bright otherwise, which I can only find out by asking folks who live there and ski like how's weather there year round etc.

And reason for my move is my current Factory rental $24k pa is the same as a Factory twice the size + 2 bdrm flat nearby in Bright and my current Factory rent goes up in Nov.

Cheers
    DB

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

A few random thoughts

I have never lived in bright, but I have worked there. I live over the hill in mt beauty.

Bright has to be better than the big smoke, but IMHO it suffers from being too much of a tourist town. The ratio of tourist beds to permanent residents would be very high. This makes the place a bit lopsided.

Peak tourist season is Christmas holidays & autumn. Winter is the off-season.

This area is motorbike heaven, on or off road.

It always seems that there are many houses & businesses for sale. Not sure what that really means.

Chaeron likes this.
  3. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi Db,

I lived and worked in Bright, the Ovens Valley, Kiewa Valley, Harrietville, Hotham and Falls over many years. Equally, I hasten to add, have not done so for a few years now so take the following for what it's worth (things undoubtedly have changed). Winter is the quiet season for Bright - Autumn and Summer generally having a bigger tourist influx. 30 years ago Bright was a service and tourist town but over the last 20 or so years more retirees and tree-change types have moved in, with a level of development - the most obvious example of which is as you drive out of town towards Harrietville. But it's still a pretty small place with all the pros and cons that go with that (great way to get to know people or everyone knows your business). Lot's of good things there - generally quiet, beautiful location, Wandi and Buckland Valleys, not too bad to get to Hotham of Falls (but bus up and down for the day? Sure, feasible but you'd want to try it out first). Access out for manufactured goods? Yep, but it's well off the Hume Hwy. Not sure what the freight options are. Approx 4-4.5 hrs from Melb so OK for W/E trips. Local services are generally fine. Economy is, like most country towns, dependent on the strength of the local industry/farming and any tourism/service. Bright is fortunate in that regard - it has through traffic, tourism, local service and retirees, but it can stll be slim pickings. That said there have been and are a number of decent businesses. If you have export product to a client base outside Bright (and can maybe do local eng) then I'd say you will be OK. Delightful place to live given the local environment you can access - and beyond. One or two decent restaurants. Local watering holes were fairly average when I was there but perhaps that has changed. Tourist numbers? I'm guessing they are down given economic issues and fuel costs etc but not sure. Housing is generally pretty good but I think over-priced (but where isn't) and recently there seemed to be one or two reasonably priced properties. Road traffic is generally pretty quiet but if you can locate off the main drag then probably better. Medical services - standard small town - local hospital, GP etc. Schools seemed fine when I was there. Football is VCFL, Ovens and King league if of interest. Cricket is Wangaratta and District Cricket Association (Cricket Victoria). Great biking area and local sports facilities/gym are OK. If you can get there and make a living there are far worse places to be. For skiing though I'd probably be taking the car just for the convenience - the rest of the time you should be able to bike or walk around Bright. Good luck. (Public transport out and in is limited. In the old days the rail service would have been great but now it is just car and bus - local air services out of Wang or Benalla, rail from there as well).

Tanuki likes this.
  4. DbSki

Thanks for the detail Billy that covers about everything.

I sell to a few large companies for about 7 years now and 80% of Ive never met so can survive on that and any small eng I can do for the locals would be additional income which is good but wouldnt need to rely on it or be linked financially to the local economy however there may be some potential for sales in the region too so that could work to benefit.

Of course don't want to get so busy I cut into important ski time in Winter. :)

Most of my freight (same crate each time) is sent Nth on Hume so sending from Wang is a bit cheaper for most and will make up the diff for the few that come E/W
    I can run it to a depot at Wang from Bright on trailer and only send one a month or so otherwise goes to Sea port in Melb for export so same thing from Bright just take it to Wang.

M/bike heaven I like the sound of and got a bike licence so could get a road trail for rec days.

5. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Billy pretty well covered everything. My SIL's BIL moved up there about 40 years ago with his parents and seems to be very happy up there. His brother OTOH lives in Hairyville and avoids Bright with a passion because of the crowds. My SIL used to travel from Hairyville to Myrtleford or futher for shopping although I think the new Woolies has helped with regard to prices.

WRT to watering holes, don't forget the Bright Brewery. Personally, I think it would be a great place to live.

6. DbSki

All sounds pretty good to me.

The tourist thing wouldnt bother me being a city slicker and used to crowds but mainly I think it probably provides more ammenties in a tourist town which are handy to have all other times for residents you dont find in most rural towns so thats a plus to me.

I dont work to fixed hours or have a shop front but work to a project deadline and work alone so can shuffle hours as needed and being close to Hoth and Falls I can do as many part days skiing as are worth it and can start work at whatever time day or night.

As it is now I have to take full days off and I get the guilts when I let a day pass not having done any work in the business and some days only have people needing parts too so if I am there some of the day I can send parts out then go skiing and get both done in the day without stress.

Ive found a factory in Chapel St and a rental place a short walk up the end of the street on Delayney Ave that totals same rent as my factory rental here now p/m and that advantage should probably offset a lot of the on going cost of living there compared to Melb.

Got a feeling I may not get 2 places located so close if I wait too long so if I'm going to move I might have to seize the day and do it very soon.

Thanks to all for the advice that covers about everything I need to know.
    Got some calls the council and agent etc to make and nail down some sums to fill in the rest of the info.

Cheers

Chaeron likes this.
  7. damian

damian A Local

I have nothing to add on life in Bright, but these two things are not the same. Very short term dramatic tourist inlux into small country towns, the way they change the town, then the love-is-over rapid tourist 'out-flux'... its a unique thing. It has been known to make local residents a little jaded.

#7 damian, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
    Chaeron likes this.
  8. Mizu_Kuma

Mizu_Kuma First Runs

Just spent a week at my daughters place, as she is living in Bright for the season!!!!!

Gotta say, that it is a place that I could easily retire in!!!!!

Still a drive to either Falls or Hotham though!!!!!

The others pretty much summed everything else up, except I reckon that the Brewery is pretty average!!!!!

Short drive to Beechworth and you'll find Bridge RD Brewers a much much better option!!!!!

Cheese Factory in Milawa ya just can't go past either!!!!!

Such a pretty area, and if ya have a dog to walk, it's pretty much paradise!!!!!

9. weerab

Yeah, the beer at the brewery is a bit hit or miss. I have had some good offerings there but also had one of the worst beers ever served to me. It was Bright lager (or similar)and it was so bad that about 3 or 4 of us took our pots back. I thought it was infected but the barman said, no it isn't but If I was up to me I would not be serving it. I thought, that's a good way to lose customers.

Bridge Road is great and you also have Sweetwater Brewery over in Tawonga South.

10. Mizu_Kuma

Mizu_Kuma First Runs

Yeah, Sweetwater is a yes from me too!!!!!

Not to mention all of the great wineries around the whole region as well!!!!!

If I did retire there, I would have to pack a spare liver!!!!!

11. dossa5

dossa5 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I live just out of Bright, what BillyKid post is pretty much it.
    Once you live here you will dread going back to any capital city with all its traffic, and you do get use to the drive up to Hotham. Lucky youve got work though and you will ski alot.
    Good luck and welcome

12. DbSki

Thank you
    So far no snags but got some more research to do on sums.

And correction the Factory is in Churchill Ave and the Unit up the road on GAR just a few doors from the corner of GAR and Churchill.

Been using street view to "drive" around and check out the places and neighbouring factories and homes and it looks great.

Tree lined streets are nice and the factory and property are huge at 500sq/m and lot of open spaces near the Factory.

Traffic here is getting out of control with it left to local councils and that any a pile of other thngs I doubt I'll miss in Melb too.

13. Mizu_Kuma

Mizu_Kuma First Runs

The tree lined streets are beautiful, and along with the river, makes Bright the place it is!!!!!

14. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

The summers are HOT and plenty days are over 30 degrees. However it is close to the mountains. In spite of that, I visit regularly in all seasons and love it. However Dinner Plain gets me more excitable over the summer if I'm not moteling it, as its almost deserted and the weather's more to my liking.

15. weerab

16. DbSki

Have a question about utilties in Bright and will be asking the agents if they can supply some figures but would like to cross check it some way.

Which is who is the electricity provider so I can get the annual service cost at both places Domestic and Industrial.
    Also what are the internet options there as I am spoiled with BP cable here for over 10 years now and 3 (now Voda) for mobiles and have no need for a land line to date for me or business.
    Is there wireless internet or ADSL and via who so can check out the expected bill costs with them.

Cheers
    Dave

17. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

You'll be wanting to change your mobile to Telstra.

Chaeron likes this.
  18. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Joizus, talk about acronym overload!!!!!
    I just about got my mind around your SIL's BIL's Brother, and then you threw in OTOH, Hairyville and WRT!!!!!
    It's almost as bad as teenager's "Like awesome like" etcetera
    (I almost typed 'etc' then realised what I was doing!)
    [​IMG]

#18 Charlie, Sep 22, 2012
    Chaeron likes this.
  19. weerab

I thought it was pretty good for a 60 year old, I'm definitely catching on. [​IMG] I thought our mostly younger forumites would have no problem with the shorthand versions IYKWIM! [​IMG] .

If you haven't worked it out yet

SIL sister in law
    BIL brother in law
    OTOH on the other hand
    WRT with respect to

And the last one I just made up.. "if you know what I mean". Come on Charlie, you have to get with the program.

BTW, HTH!

#19 weerab, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  20. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

I'm still trying to come to grips with the difference between [​IMG] and LAWL
    (I think maybe those who use LAWL are just tryhards)

Edit:
    I've narrowed HTH down to have to Hurry, How the Hell or Hope that Helps
    If the latter, then "YID"

#20 Charlie, Sep 22, 2012
  21. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

Bright is a lovely town.

Had an association with the place for 40 years.

Mum & dad have lived there for more than 20 yrs.

Love going "home" to visit, but not sure if I could live there after living where I'll be next week.

22. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Bright is a fantastic place to live, absolutely beautiful every season, There is no downside to the weather here.

Lovely day trips in all directions, you name it you can do it al pretty close at hand.

I think you will find Bright a 'tale of 2 cities' so to speak. There is a lot of money around, although those with it tend not to spend it (maybe thats why they have it and I dont). Dont expect to gain much business locally until you are 'in'. To do this play all the sports and join all the clubs, volly at the school, join CFA etc etc - youo might laugh but it will go a long way to tick the above box.

Expect to pay tourist prices for everything, everywhere. The restaurants probably charge twice what they should, and then wonder why the locals dont eat out. Expect an interesting frosty style of service delivery at most businesses.

Breweries - Bridge road is the go - Bright brewery is like spending $9 for a glass of home brew. Wineries mostly all good.

Broadband should be ok where you are and reasonable speeds. Mobile phones - I and many friends have changed to Optus with no coverage complaints at all - and much better value.

just do it and enjoy, really great interesting eclectic mix of people in Bright which makes it good fun.

So if you can source your income from outside the region (sounds like a yes) then I think you will do just fine.

see you soon

23. DbSki

Thanks for the tips
    Ive got Optus wireless for mobile net so glad Optus works up there.

Have been looking at some living rentals at Hairyville which is 25k closer to Hoth than Bright and river side, nicer places for same price however not too close to work in Bright but its not city driving.
    Id be at Bright at work daily and likely working nights in Summer to avoid heat and factory has kitchen, shower and office in it.

Plan to do some overnights at Bright and check out things a bit more like local shops and get a feel for whats there and have a chat to RE agents too.

24. Mizu_Kuma

Mizu_Kuma First Runs

H'ville is an awesome little town, with great friendly locals!!!!!

I reckon that it might be a Cabin Fever type of atmos after comin from the City though????? Bright will be less of a shock to the system!!!!!

The drive to Bright is easy as, so that part wont be a drama whatsoever!!!!!

Optus and Telstra both work fine in Bright and Hootersville!!!!!

25. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Yes Harrietville is a great little town, a bit feral but great!!!

Mind you if you are traveling betwen Bright and Harrietville after dark its really a 70-80km/h trip ....too many bambi's and skippys!!

26. weerab

And also black ice in the winter time! I've stayed in H'ville heaps of times but only for a few days at a time. It's pretty closed in so can be a bit more depressing than Bright.

27. DbSki

That's ok I'm a bit feral too and a ex tradie so probably fit in ok at Hville from the sound of it.

So long as Ive got mobile and net access there I cant see any other major issues other than utilties.
    Is Hville on town water ?

Most of time would be at the factory every day and it has shower, toilet and office inside and summers can work nights if days are hot and Winter the factory has a pot belly so might be there a lot and at home very little.

What got me looking at Hville is a 2br house for $150 pw which is a stand alone place on river side and nicer inside and out than same price place at Bright that is 1 of 3 units joined and no parking.

28. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

If you're really looking for somewhere ever cheaper, nearer to the mountains and with a much more authentic rural atmosphere, why not do it properly and move to Omeo?

... or you could go really over the top and move to Benambra, or would that be too much of a "Deliverance experience"? [​IMG]

#28 Bogong, Sep 23, 2012
  29. Mizu_Kuma

Mizu_Kuma First Runs

Say g'day to Tim & Mandy at the Snowline then!!!!!

And make sure ya have a breaky burrito at Knoxy's!!!!!

Pretty sure you'll love Hootersville!!!!!

I could retire in either place!!!!!

#29 Mizu_Kuma, Sep 23, 2012
  30. Seth

It may be cheaper to live in Hooter but there is a reason for that.

31. DbSki

Due to distances or local services / utilties ?

32. Seth

Yeah. There isn't much in hooter. Need pretty much anything and you're trekking into Bright. That gets annoying after a while.

33. DbSki

Planning on an overnighter at both places to check it out more so Ill keep that in mind, thanks again.

34. Mizu_Kuma

Mizu_Kuma First Runs

35. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I love Bright. +1's (Slide Sideways) mum lives there. I would love to move there myself, even have my house picked out which is currently on the market, but I would not move that far away from my elderly parents.

36. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

mizu_kuma, you should get your keyboard seen to, a few of your keys seem to be sticking in all of your posts [​IMG]

#36 emkae, Sep 24, 2012
    Ziggy likes this.
  37. DbSki

I had the elderly thing too.
    Ive been close by for last 15 years but one is now in more advanced stages of elderlyness this year and daily carers involved now so my usefullness has served and time for me to do my thing at 50+.

The business is a bit of a mission and its daily since the more I do the farther I get and sooner I can sell it.
    I don't go out spending like I used to before the business other than skiing I want to do more of and so where I live comes down to cost benefits not really the social aspects and there are benefits so far in moving to Bright.

Most of the time I'd be going to and from work and home to eat, sleep and dream of snow and likely contact with locals would be factory owners nearby over time coming and going there.

Local post office will get to know me which is one thing have to do among the many things and check postal rates and various size packages I send by post.

Also might go have a sticky beak at the local chamber of commerce and see if they have any info and perhaps know of incentives that might be available to attract an "exporting manufacturer" and "potential future employer" to the town. :)

Decided also it is probably best to rent domestic property in Bright near the Factory and once Ive spent a lease term there I'll know if I want to move to Hooter and more time to find a place I like there too so that makes the first move simpler.

And thanks Mizu all appreciated.
    I want to cover as many bases as I can first before moving the Factory so all helps thank you.

38. Mizu_Kuma

Mizu_Kuma First Runs

39. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Mizu, drop the excessive !s and all will be good.

40. Sadie

You wouldn't need a fitter and turner by any chance would you? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I could pretty much work anywhere but +1 is the problem [​IMG]

#40 Sadie, Sep 25, 2012
  41. DbSki

Yes lacking a +1 is what makes this possible for me to do.
    You never know your +1 may warm to the idea of country life in future (that just happens to be near a ski hill.)
    ;-)

Would be looking at trade assistant type which could be a mid aged local with some basic metal work skills and part time or train a younger hand.
    But if future sales pick up then Ill need more than that.

42. Sadie

[​IMG] No, +1 is happy to move, he just needs to find a job there.

#42 Sadie, Sep 25, 2012
  43. DbSki

Ah I see now.
    Ill let you know of any openings then.

If my biz partner starts selling some units now he is in Melb not hanging around the factory doing nothing productive we could have more work and if I end up needing someone to replace me he would need to be a qual fitter to hande it.

Been nearly all word of mouth sales from current owners for 7 years now and he has time to do it not being at the factory its time he went out and pounded the pavement to sell it, he is not cut out for precision metal work.

All business to business sales no private or domestic so not hard for him to find business that could use it by nature of what they do it fits with we just need to have someone in Melb to bang on their door once a month.

And having a sales office in Melb and manufacturing plant in Rural Vic is a trend for big companies so might help us look bigger than we are.
    We have a record to sell on and now it's time to let business know it.

Ive got a few projects in mind that expand the products and could get on to those and leave the production to someone else.
    All the parts I make are on CAD and its something a fitter could walk in to and do I'm sure.

As you may gather and the reason I mention it is the move to Bright facilitates a few beneficial changes for the business IMO as well as personally.

Close to skiing is the icing on the cake I can have in this move.
    Makes it hard not to get too excited but I have to stick to the financials so am containing any excitment for now.

Eager to get up there for a day or 2 and get a closer look.
    Factory lease is coming up November so need to sort it out by then so I can negotiate a montly stay from now till the move.

SuskiQ likes this.
  44. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Everytime I've visited Jindabyne, it seems loud, fast, lots of partying, no wonder the cops need to put RBTs on all the time with all the bogans and shredders hanging around.

There is even a bit of a drug scene that pops up now and then in Jindy.

On the other hand, Bright seems to have a bit less of this element. For some reason, wild parties are to be found on the mountain, with venues like The Man at Falls Creek with its carpet, being a classic pickup joint.

Bright is a pretty and relaxed place anytime of the year. I got attached to Bright and the surrounding region about 4 years ago.

45. DbSki

Been using google earth street view to cruise the streets and check it out and kept and eye out for any burnout grafitti which is a sure sign of local hoons but none found.
    Seems a bit of a "sleepy hollow" which suits me.

The street the business is in now has drags mid week when the hoons come out of the factories from 4 to 5 and circle work on the weekends when its fairly empty that fills my place with tyre smoke if the front roller door is open so I'm over it.

46. DbSki

The Bright jokes have begun.
    A reply I got talking to some bright spark about the move yesterday.
    "Sounds like a Bright future for the business then"

47. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

Has he considered FIFO ?? ,..... Has it's advantages. [​IMG]

#47 main street, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
  48. DbSki

Found a pretty big incentive to have the Factory at Myrtleford instead.

Factory in Bright is $1740 pcm and the brand new one in Myrtleford about the same size with lock up yard, services and road metal yard not grass is about $980 pcm leaving about $750 each month to pay for home in Bright.
    As it is now I travel 7kms to work and takes 15 min in bumper to bumper and its about 25 min to Bright cruising so no big deal there.

RE agent in Myrtleford tells me the Bright Premium on rentals extends to Industrial.
    I suspect this loosley translates to "those people up the road in Bright charge too much for everything." -:)

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  49. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Myrtleford is certainly an option, but remember that it's also 25 mins further from Hotham. OTOH it's much less of a tourist ghetto than Bright

50. weerab

Mt Beauty might be a better option, it's got everything you need plus easy access to Falls.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.