1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Who lives in Bright ?

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by DbSki, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

At a guess the av Hoppeteer isn't dining and drinking out during the Hoppet week.
    In any case many of them stay at Howman's Gap camp or further up - close to training.
    The press the Indian restaurant has got would account for its status.
    Bright? Lots of cashed up retirees. More than double the Vic median in 65 and over. And has 2x the population of Mt B plus would be getting a greater flow of visitors and passers-through.

ladycamper likes this.
  2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Was bright weekend or mid week? If it was busy on midweek nights in winter then things have changed a lot in the last few years.

Night time food in mt beauty/tawonga sth/tawonga has as always been a bit limited, depending on day of week/time of year. If you live here is not really a big deal, might be if you are a tourist. i think there is usually something open, although maybe not late.

3. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

What happened to The Settlers Tavern?

4. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Without trying to get in a bun fight whether Mt. B or Bright, all depends on where you're skiing. Staying with non snow partners we always stay in Bright and take the extra time to get to Falls if we have to. Plan on going to Falls only with the boys Mt. B is a no brainer. Tawonga South caravan park. 100m from pub and 35 mins from village. I actually do think that Bright is a much more picturesque town but I guess that reflects the higher real estate prices. They both have their advantages and I love them equally.

5. currawong

Considerations on where to live are different to where to visit.

Chaeron and SuskiQ like this.
  6. currawong

Settlers is still the there. I'm not a big pub per person so rarely go there. Reputation is that food is better than average pub. I don't think it is open every night, but really not sure

Apresski likes this.
  7. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Looking at their Web sites they are open every day. Pics don't look too bad.

currawong likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Haven't eaten at Settlers for a while but it used to be OK.
    Their specials used to be the better bet.

9. currawong

That's good if they add are open every day. Didn't use to to be the case, but as I said, I'm not much of a pub person. I can generally throw together a meal with less bother than going out, so if I'm going out i usually want something special - or I'm travelling

10. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Bright was Friday night so that goes part of the way to explain how busy it was. There were a lot of young families there including a group at the brewery whose kids were just out of control, just screaming and running around yelling. It was not too bad as they were outside but the parents said stuff all to the kids. Worst part is that I was outside with them! If they had run past me I would have probably tripped them up. (only joking!)

11. weerab

Pub is open every night, unfortunately Stockpot is closed Mon and Tues, so that just leaves the Suisse takeaway AFAIK.
    I can definitely see why Bright is a bigger attraction, it has far more infrastructure and eateries, but I guess that would come to Mt Beauty if people began staying there.

12. currawong

Flour + Water is open most nights too.

The thread is about living somewhere, not visiting. I only eat out locally a few times a year and limited choice on some week nights is a non issue for me, and most locals.

13. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Still going

14. weerab

I forgot about Flour and Water, although I did have a pizza there a couple of weeks ago. it was tasty but full of the dreaded shredded ham which I have not seen on a pizza in Melbourne for a very long time!

ladycamper likes this.
  15. weerab

I did see quite a few retirees in Bright but there were lots of families with quite young kids. I can see that Bright would be a great place to retire, only 3.5 hours or so from Melbourne. However, speaking to people who live or work there, it has just got too commercial with events on all the time.

For people looking at moving up to the NE, there is a great property for sale in Mill Road, Harrietville. It has lots of internal timber and they are asking about 460K. Sell your old house in Melbourne for a Million and then you have a lucky $500,000 to spend on the rest of your life!

currawong likes this.
  16. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Bright is not so cheap to buy in, that's for sure.

ladycamper likes this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Myrtleford has a lot going for it. It is half an hour away from Bright.

18. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If I was still considering it Id probably look at Tawonga to live.
    Stayed at the van park there and had a look around, I like it.
    Not too flash but there is a shop and MB not far away.
    As it is with industrial no brick and mortar places that side of the Hume Fwy and chances Id find a home with shed around Tawonga.
    I didn't know much about it back when I was looking.

Chaeron likes this.
  19. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

My 2 pence!

Think I'd have to disagree their matey. M is handy to Wang, Melbourne (a tad) and Beechworth. But it seems rather dull as an occasional visitor. There's not a lot open mid evening summer or winter bar two pubs a club and 1-2 cafes. Maybe there's more just out of mid town but I doubt it. Seems to rely heavily on its agriculture and timber mill and less tourism (possibly a plus unless you want cafe choice??)

Bright bustles and demands a stop most times of day/ week/year. Perhaps that would become Wearing as a local but for those from the Inner Melbourne subs, it's more appealing.

Fwiw: Mt B is a bit like M only closer to snow. But it just dies off peak. Even petrol gets hard to get winter evenings. Perhaps if Tawonga & T Sth & Mt B were compacted into a bigger central town it may have more tourist appeal? But the quietness, the pond, Bogong views and cheaper real estate might be a great reason to live in preference to Toorak-priced Bright?

I reckon Harriet is just ripe for a few more decent motels and shops/Cafes to encourage more overnight visitors and long term settlers. It's too small for most tree changers but with cheaper land(?) than Bright would have to be a sleeper worth a risk by many wanting the quiet mtn life on a budget.

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I don't drink booze or coffee so M.ford is fine for me. I go there about once a month and visit my friend who lives there who is a skier. It is not a touristy place :). It is close to Mt. Buffalo and it is a 3 and 1/2 hour drive from Melb.. It is an hour away from Wodonga and about 4 .5 hours from Jindabyne via Corryong.

21. currawong

As I said earlier, don't mistake a nice place to visit for a nice place to live. Some places may be both but they don't necessarily coincide.

Myrtleford has better cafe options than it used to, but it is not a tourist haven. It's probably but not a bad place to live if you don't need nightlife. It's a bit too far from the snow if that's a key consideration. (Coffee Chakra makes excellent coffee, possibly the best in the North East - but it isn't open 7 days :( )

22. Mufts

Mufts Potato Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah Bright is a horrible place to live go away....
    I....
    hate having world class mountain bike trails at my door step.
    hate having some of the best road rides in the country.
    hate having a sealed bike path that takes me to numerous cafes, wineries and breweries in the region
    hate having less than 1 hour to go skiing with the choice of two resorts
    hate having access summer and winter to amazing backcountry including feathertop, bogong and mt buffalo
    hate having a river to swim in, right in the centre of town
    hate having great locally roasted coffee
    hate having kangaroos, wombats and echidnas cruising past our house
    hate autumn more than anything, all those leaves, why can't they choose a colour and stick with it
    hate having access to good doctors, trades, two supermarkets etc
    hate having a great network of friends who are welcoming and supportive

Yep, total rubbish town, not sure why I moved there.

Mr_Ed, cold wombat, Sadie and 3 others like this.
  23. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah we thought it looked shit when we went there!!

Mufts likes this.
  24. Jellybeans

Jellybeans Walking on a cloud Ski Pass: Gold

But Bright is closer to both Falls and Hotham. I'm not a fan of coffee or beer, but am a fan of bikes, so I quite like it there. Convienience with shops, etc too. It's about finding what's right for you I guess. But most importantly location, location and location. So much skiing available.

25. Hully

Hully One of Us

Yep, hearing you. Live in a town just over the hill that is pretty much rubbish for similar reasons......

26. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It'd might be better to live in Bright but the choice is simply a matter of do you want to pay the premium it cost to live there.
    When I contacted all the RE agents and spoke to them about rentals and rates and on going costs, Bright was clearly more expensive.
    And anywhere east of the Fwy is a short drive to the snow.

27. Jellybeans

Jellybeans Walking on a cloud Ski Pass: Gold

Compared to Melbourne, they are a short drive, but if you are going to live there with a precedent to live close to the snow, you probably should get as close as you can IMO.
    Mt Beauty (or Tawonga as you said) are probably better options if you are on a budget. Nice place, slightly closer to Wodonga.

28. currawong

the area is fabulous and clearly life in Bright suits you, which is great.

but if people ask advice i feel bound to point out that Bright is very busy, to the extent that some residents have stopped enjoying living there

29. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Maybe the solution (convenience vs cost/bustle) is to live handy to Bright but just out a bit. I suppose Wandi (little housing around), Freeburgh (ditto) and Porepunkah (tad bigger & close) could all serve as 'dorm' subs - bit cheaper(?) and quieter but within 10-15 mins drive.

This a very Aussie issue though. A lack of decent sized towns near the foot of the hills. I guess if we created 'big' bustling places like Queenstown, Banff, Whistler Village? mm Chamonix? (Bariloche) etc... In Aussie, we Might just kill the whole 'away from the big smoke' experience?

...just a thought!

30. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

You may not have heard of Jindabyne.

31. Mufts

And some residents love the vibrancy. It's busy during the holiday periods just like any other tourist town. Yeah Christmas and Easter get crazy but swings and round-a-bouts, the down times still have plenty of visitors and that keeps the town vibrant and allows us to have some amazing businesses operate in a regional location that simply wouldn't survive.

32. Mufts

Then you have to drive to get coffee, the paper, etc. I'm 800m from the brewery and a world away from the town. I laugh at those who complain they can't get a park at the supermarket leading up to christmas etc. That happens in Melbourne too! It's busy, it can get crazy busy, but then out of school holidays it's pretty dead!

FlatLander and Sadie like this.
  33. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Mm have stayed in & around Jindy in winter on several different occasions and the odd New Year.

I won't put in the Q'town class/size/bustle category but perhaps Wanka would be close. Not sure Mansfield or Bright would be as big as Jindy - I bet someone here knows the stats.

Jindy can seem mighty sleepy midweek summer when most of the tourists head home - not that quiet is bad either. But Generally Aussie ski base town knack the size that makes towns self sustaining, especially on the job front.

34. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

According to Mr Google, Bright 2200, Jindy 2700, Queenstown NZ 15300

35. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I couldn't live in Q'town if you paid me! Huge, touristy, can't park. Grown horridly in the last 25 years. Ugghh.

One of the things I'm starting to think of in terms of retirement options is aged care. While it's great to move to be close to things like ski fields, bike tracks etc, unfortunately those aspects don't last forever. The day comes when there's other things occupying your mind - recovering from a 'fall', remembering where the front door is etc. When it gets to that stage, it's too late to pack up a house and move. Therefore I'm looking at places that have good medical care, hospitals and aged care facilities, as well as the good things in life.

36. currawong

we are pretty lucky with medical. good doctors, hospital with nursing home attached. (we even have a pharmacy ;) ) Albury is only 1 hour away, Wang 90 minutes, both with hospitals that an handle most things.the main problem is how aged care is organised. mt beauty nursing home is for high care needs. lower care needs are over in the ovens valley. might be more efficient for administrators but crap for families. still most people seem to manage to stay in their own homes until they need high care

teckel likes this.