1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Wholebody for Beginners, why it works.

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by bawbawbel, Jul 24, 2019.

1. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

My publisher says "Not just to tell how to do your style, tell WHY it is superior."
    O.K. I stuffed up there.
    From my signature, Level 1 :
    "Level One:
    Snowplough rotations. With even weighting on both skis. we start the turn by bringing the upper arm and shoulder around in the direction of the proposed new turn.
    Do not weight the outside ski ! The slope will do this.
    Windup using Stein's Delayed Shoulder Snowplough if a stronger turn is needed."

Today at Bawbs, the new snow started to compact and squeak at lunch time.
    "The snow is awful, I want to go home now" said my student.
    The answer was to go back to our special snowplough and stay there all day.

This sort of snowplough let's one stop by just continuing to turn across the slope.
    That fixes the "Stopping hurts my legs" complaint.
    You get going again from the "across the hill" position by adding a "Stein Windup" of your arm in the opposite direction.

This sort of snowplough is sliding all the time.
    That fixes the "My ski tips me over when I try to make it slide" complaint.
    You must increase your speed until the skis feel light under your feet and avoid slowing down.

If anyone disses you, you must explain "This is a Gliding Wedge, used all the time in International Competition ". :)

2. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Right. Gilded wedgie. Got it.

3. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I suspect Stein is not the only one being wound up here.

bawbawbel likes this.
  4. bawbawbel

The snowplough initiation being taught by BawBaw instructors is up to date in that it is following our (and Clendenin's) demand that the turn should be begun by flexing (bending or collapsing) the inside knee, not by leaning to the outside.
    So it is not so hard for us to add the arm/shoulder anticipation from that point.

From there, only one more step to the Super Snowplough.
    That is, starting the turn with pressure towards the ski tips (weight on your toes), and finishing it with pressure towards the tails (weight on your heels).
    Anticipation does this automatically, but only when you are actually producing inclination (leaning your body into the turn).
    Alpine snowboarders in Germany are going crazy with this board stroking, using super flexible boards.

5. bawbawbel

The snowplough is hated because of the way it is taught. Death Valley.
    However, now some instructors (mainly female) are including aeroplane turns. Good Move.
    There is no reason why the pizza position cannot still be used by a high intermediate. Arms and shoulders make the difference !
    Wide base for extra stability on the frozen early morning. But not when you deliberately pressure the uphill ski.
    To convince frozen body ploughers of our method I now just get them to look quickly towards the new turn.
    Old habits die hard, surprising that a head rotation makes a real improvement.
    Aha ! They are mine !

#5 bawbawbel, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019