1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Wholebody for snowboarders

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by bawbawbel, Jul 29, 2019.

1. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Ryan Knapton has been demonstrating his carving magic in a full series of softboot youtubes.
    He does not use hard boots, but I suggest that he has been achieving his progress the hard way.
    He is from the "quiet upper body" American school.
    As a result, he has only recently gained full mastery of deep heelside turns. ( From the Russian upper body Plus/Minus exercises.)
    Let me start you on your way to one hell of a heelside.
    Emulate this master of the movement.

2. bawbawbel

Ryan boards with Katie, and they provide tips regarding what they emphasize to make their boarding rewoarding.
    Ryan masters gravity, but Katie plays with it.
    Ryan looks heavy, while Katie looks light.
    Because they are expert in their own perfected styles, it is inevitable that they end up flatly contradicting each other.
    Ryan : " Try to do nothing else with your upper body "
    Katie : " When I carve, before I subject to my new edge, it's my hand that comes around, and drops real suddenly on that edge, and my body is kind of following it . "
    Katie's fast turns are interesting. She leaves one arm across her body and anticipates both ways with the other.
    Ta Katie, luv yr stuff .

3. bawbawbel

They both can do a toeside laydown on the wall of a halfpipe. Something special !
    But only Katie advocates the following, which she calls a "finish the turn" exercise.
    It involves going to a flat board for a moment before a drop in using just knee bend and anticipation.
    Feels good, but is it any use to a carving tyro ? Dunno. Could help with getting the arm timing right.
    For the soul boarder, maybe.
    Because as Ryan says; "Of course, I just like to jump from turn to turn."

4. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

5. bawbawbel

I realize now that Craig's knees together stance could have certain advantages if he was exposed to dregs like I am.
    Where was I ? Forget.

#5 bawbawbel, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  6. bawbawbel

7. bawbawbel

Ah, yes. The question is whether Crackson's post is fun ( chasing of likes) or serious ( deep and detrimental hostility towards snowboarders. )
    We may never know due to the convention that text comments on these technique threads should be mainly complaints about coherence.

The occasional depth of skier disdain was brought home to me when one deliberately tried to knock me down the mountain on my little rockhopping board.
    He was uncommunicative as we walked up the road together to get some first tracks.
    I thought that he was being gracious when he waited for me to drop in first.
    Ha !

8. bawbawbel

Ryan's expertise did not come easily. He has a custom 32 cm wide board for his big feet and gradually graduated from 7 meter to 11 meter sidecut.
    Katie's way is easiest.
    Not to go straight to hardboots and dislocate your shoulder.
    He probably has not identified his problem before he eventually has to revert back to fast and brave skiing.
    "My body movements are exactly as per the internet. My board is the latest extreme carver. My boots cost a lot. But now my shoulder is shot. "
    Timing, my laddie.
    Timing !
    That shoulder movement should be rotating your body into the turn, not as an afterthought DURING the turn.

#8 bawbawbel, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  9. bawbawbel

As the farmer said to the motorist: "Actually, you can't get there from here !"
    "Here" is a carere of frozen upper body skiing, reinforced by ten thousand typical turns.
    Start agen, my fren .

10. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That is horrible

11. bawbawbel

Ryan was so shocked at the universal interest in Canadian Katie's style that he immediately produced an "upper body" video which just demonstrated that he has a big hole in his repertoire.
    It is interesting that Katie's turns are hardly affected when they board with highbacks removed, whereas Ryan crashes constantly.
    So what ? Well, her boarding (surf style) is less dependent on binding perfection. Whatever..

#11 bawbawbel, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  12. bawbawbel

Ben (Russian) needs you to bend your knees. Sadly, there is no alternative when you make a push-pull turn.
    But, you don't need to bend them so quickly and so much when the body initially turns the board.
    The Body Turns The Board.

#12 bawbawbel, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  13. bawbawbel

Unbelievable that Ryan gets nuthin from boarding with World Pipe Champion Katie, but there it is.
    "This has nuthin to do with carving" sums up where he is at.
    Buttering, yes. Rotating the board while straight lining the park, yes.
    His toeside laydown, a bit.
    He suggests that "doin this crazy stuff" will just allow you to see who is coming behind you and make you more "balanced on the board".
    So there you go, daddio....

14. bawbawbel

" When I carve, before I subject to my new edge, it's my hand that comes around, and drops real suddenly on that edge, and my body is kind of following it . "
    Super Boarder sez to me "That is just Crackin The Whip, we all do it."
    No. This ANTICIPATION ONLY if we go to flat board first. Tried it today and it is magic.
    "Cracking The Whip" first entails throwing the arm up, which platforms the tail for you to launch off.
    Different.