Question Why are people excited when it snows in spring?

Ryan W Kan

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2016
Hey guys,

Let me start by stating that this is NOT a troll question. I am honestly curious.

Being a late starter (2 seasons in...) I might still be more enthusiastic about turning on firm snow than most, but I just don't get how anyone can be excited for overnight snow in Spring. Is there any secret things that you guys do that a beginner like me do not?

Example:

Last Saturday -- ~5ish cms of freshies @ falls. Everyone was excited. I did get probably first 5 runs and it was fun. Powder was a little wet, but still soft. But by ~10am, everything has turned to chopped up crud. It was super slow, and it's not enjoyable anymore ... All in maybe 5 nice runs?

Compare that to Sunday, with a firm hard pack. It was suuper fun when it was corduroy, and remain fun all the way till 2pm, even being a 5 degrees day. Must have had a ton of super nice runs...

Is it just me who like to carve up the hardpack?

:)

MarkGC

One of Youse
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2010
Northern NSW
Can't carve up hard pack if there is no snow to form the hard pack. This time of year we are usually watching the melt, runs start closing etc, the more snow that falls the betterer and longerer the season.

I agree re fresh falls, not all fresh snow is created equal and some of the more elephant snot snow is better after a groomer gives it the once over. But proper powder is bliss!

Reactions: SMSkier

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Actually its a fair point and I agree with it to a degree.
I prefer sun over small snowfalls, cause I like to see.
Spring riding in Australia is epic.
I want CORN

Reactions: domgat and nfip

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
IMG_2198.JPG
Actually its a fair point and I agree with it to a degree.
I prefer sun over small snowfalls, cause I like to see.
Spring riding in Australia is epic.
I want CORN

Wash you mouth out, corn is for October.

September is for snow, fresh sweet new snow. See above for today's example.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
back to the op.
freshness on a proper base.
not frothing over a strip of man made
the back country game is on
punters back on the beach

Reactions: Normo

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Everyone else has answered this reasonably thoroughly, so I'll just make the observation that if it was "a little wet", it wasn't powder.

There's been a lot of people in here this year calling fresh snow "powder". Please stop.
We rode freshies at -10 to -8 on the tops more than once. As close as it gets to pow in oz.

Reactions: SMSkier

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
The downside with spring is that the snow melts during the day and then can freeze overnight leading to very hard, fast runs the next morning.

Snow tends to prevent this

Ryan W Kan

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2016
Thanks guys!

So it's mainly down to all sorts of factor that people are excited over freshies in Spring, from the beauty, to "extending the season", to guys who thinks hardpack is the best, but without snow, no hardpack ...

It's all down to personal preference and I'm happy to know that.

Reactions: Undies and MarzNC

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Powder guns still going at Corin Forest, the only ones still making powder right now!

21617901_718641614985872_5238484648452424946_n.jpg
Why wouldn't you!
Take advantage of school holidays!
Likely the best snow fun in sept/oct holidays in a long long time.

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
Too often in the last couple of decades the spring thaw has commenced in late August so that by mid-late september more often than not we are looking for the surviving paths between expanding mud pits.
Then what softens thru the day turns to solid ice at night so first turns are decidedly dicy trying to find places where the ice has been turned over by the groomers
this year is the first time in over 10 years i booked a trip later than mid august and that decision was forced on me by unavoidable circumstances.

Luckily for me the best spring storm in a long time meant the cover quality was more like early August than early spring.
By comparison in spring 2000, despite the depth, the snow quality was rubbish with it softening well before lunch time. After lunch the cover was almost unride-able

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I just saw this and thought I'd post it here:

kiorxy3laymz.jpg

We all have our own personal journeys as we progress as a skier, and it's fun as hell.

But you'll find more often than not that it progresses from skiing on prepared hard snow, to unprepared soft snow.

I used to love arcing on groomers, hence my username, now I see it as something akin to rollerblading. I'll do it for sure when it's the best thing to be done on a day, but skiing on mountains is what appeals most, and I know a lot of skiers who think the same way.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I think we've all been there. Remember hitting my first proper dump at Thredbo 2001. After face planting several times trying to get down supertrail in about 40cm of fresh i can remember complaining to my lady that they should get the groomers out to give us something to ski. Now i complain when anything is groomed on a fresh snow day. I just love complaining.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass