Question Why do snowboarders sit on the slopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Yes, this is a serious question! So, snowboarders out there, please enlighten me (skiers can throw in their 10 cents worth, too). A few theories to get things rolling: a) psyching themselves up/planning their next manoeuvre, b) engaging in some mindfulness or Zen Buddhist meditation, c) strategically placing themselves to test out the manoeuvrability of other boarders and skiers. I pondered these possibilities today while cruising down Front Valley at Perisher.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Yes, this is a serious question! So, snowboarders out there, please enlighten me (skiers can throw in their 10 cents worth, too). A few theories to get things rolling: a) psyching themselves up/planning their next manoeuvre, b) engaging in some mindfulness or Zen Buddhist meditation, c) strategically placing themselves to test out the manoeuvrability of other boarders and skiers. I pondered these possibilities today while cruising down Front Valley at Perisher.
Maybe they have some sort of competition to see how long they can last with bumcracks on the snow.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Because having something strapped to both feet is quite difficult when you are still learning how to do it and takes quite a bit of practice to get your balance. Perhaps try snowboarding for yourself and you will see what i mean.

Similar question, How come most skiers look like they are squating over a toilet ;)
:axe:

bdenny4

One of Us
Jun 28, 2008
Bayside Melb
Because having something strapped to both feet is quite difficult when you are still learning how to do it and takes quite a bit of practice to get your balance. Perhaps try snowboarding for yourself and you will see what i mean.

Similar question, How come most skiers look like they are squating over a toilet ;)

Was going to something similar.

If they are doing it out of the way then WTF is wrong with it.
Plenty of skiers standing around on the slopes

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Was going to something similar.

If they are doing it out of the way then WTF is wrong with it.
Plenty of skiers standing around on the slopes
Yes but many don't have a clue.
They flop front and centre.
Same as most never look behind them selves / uphill , just to be sure....
Edit : Popcorn thread if ever. ;)

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com
In another serious answer, Its also extremely hard to get up after a fall sometimes and some people might not want to unstrap, even more so if you dont understand how its easier off toes/heels depending on personal preferance. If you have ever had a stack in deep snow on a board and tried to get up by putting your arms behind you and pushing your pelvis up to stand on your board you will know what i mean Even in compacted snow it can be tricky. Snowboarding when beginning is physically exhausting and takes a hell of a lot of core strength which most people simply dont have. Most people are probably sitting trying to compose themselves and catch their breath. If they are stopped somewhere stupid its nice to always give people a friendly reminder, However my experience with that regardless of country is that arrogance kicks in and you will most likely get an earful...

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
Inexperience plays a bit part. If they knew more, they'd be aware of how much risk they were exposing themselves to.

Reactions: piolet and LMB

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I sit down for two reasons:

1/ to do my bindings up
2/ because I find standing for extended periods a bit of a chore, especially if its a bit steep.

I've moved away from the bindings issue with my step in bindings.

I do make sure I sit in places other than the middle of a run.

however, if I happen to fall over in the middle of the run, then you'll have to forgive me as I might end up sitting momentarily on the way back up, though I do tend to stand up from my knees if possible

Reactions: Lady Penelope

HappyGirl

One of Us
Mar 12, 2009
I think it comes from this...

10021186-Two-surfers-sitting-on-their-surf-boards-on-the-beach-discussing-the-waves-Stock-Photo.jpg

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
As a skier my preference is to sit at a bar or restaurant. I've no problem with snowboarders cooling their arses. But please, move away from the lift unload area before indulging in your rectal pleasure. :thumbs:

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Contentious question in the first place. Most boarders are thoughtful just like most skiers. There is no monopoly on the Tosser factor and as a skier I think the skiers only resorts is total crap and a n’ken embarrassment to the free spirit of snow sports.

Ultra

One of Us
Jun 2, 2009
NSW
mostly beginners, and remember, we were all there at some stage, and probably for a few seasons as well. and being beginners, they are usually not up to speed with slope etiquette or code. same goes for skiers, but being a boarder myself, its the fact you have a board strapped to both feet, and you get to a spot where your uncomfortable with, or feeling not so confident, its easier to sit down, than stand up trying to balance on a board they haven't mastered yet. even standing on a board without moving can be difficult for a beginner. Also, if they feel they are losing control, the best option is to sit. you will find most if not all of those beginners havnt mastered the heel side to toe side switch. and hence do the falling leaf all they way down. similar to skiers doing the snow plough all the way down. and finally, i dont think beginners understand the significant of the colour system. i have seen many a beginner get to the bottom of the terminal quad chair, after sitting and slowly making their way down the last 50 mtrs steep part toward the lift, then race over to the summit lift, right past the "no green beginners areas past this point" sign, then struggle all the way down Zalis. same goes equally for skiers. sadly, im sure most beginners cant afford a long amount of time on the slopes, so only get a weekend or 2 in each season, so takes a few years to get to a point where they can link turns and complete a run non stop.
All this i know from my few years as a beginner back when we board riders were regularly abused by the majority of skiers, as i was in the very small few % of boarders back then. now they are pretty much accepted by all. :deadhorse:

its all part of the fun of a day on the aussie slopes. :cool:

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
I've always thought that I would like to give boarding a shot, but, then realise that I would be the same as all the other beginners, spending lots of time on my butt in the snow, anywhere and everywhere. It really does look like hard work for a beginner. My observation is that you don't see intermediate or advanced boarders doing the park and sit.
You aint seen nothing till you see it in Japan. At least most of the girls look great.

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Had a board set up with clicker bindings, only time my ass was on the snow was after a stack.
dont know why recreational boarders went with strap type bindings.
snow time is too valuable to be sitting on snow & not drinking.

Mtn2Sea

Addicted
Jun 21, 2013
Newcastle
I started boarding in my mid forties. Standing up from a sitting position is bloody hard. One thing I learnt in my first group lesson was to strap in standing up. It is really quite easy and I dont understand why people sit down to it.

On the other hand if you are tired during a run and want a rest standing still on a board takes quite a bit of core strength so I might sit or even kneel down for a rest. If I kneel facing up the slope then I can watch out for anyone coming my way. That said I generally dont stop in the middle of a slope.

Skiers stop and rest too but I assume it easier to just keep standing.

Reactions: LMB

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
Had a board set up with clicker bindings, only time my ass was on the snow was after a stack.
dont know why recreational boarders went with strap type bindings.
snow time is too valuable to be sitting on snow & not drinking.

Most boarders use strap in bindings because click-in or step-in bindings are flawed and less efficient.

Reactions: spaz and qwill

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Sitting is a function of edges and being strapped in to one plank. Standing still is hard. Sitting in packs in the middle of crowded runs is lack of experience and thought, or just natural dickheadedness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass