Why does Perisher hate those who stay overnight on the mountain?

Coollhand

First Runs
Aug 3, 2022
For those of you in Sydney wanting to drive down at night to Perisher after work from Sydney a few tips.

1) If you are aiming to leave early from work and ski the day after be aware that the 10 minute ride up on the train is a whopping $136 return because you didn't buy a lift pass that day you naughty person. This will get you back however within the next two weeks. This means for example if you five people on board and use it to get up there this will cost you a total of $680 AND you still then need to load from car to train to station to oversnow. Drive up and you can load from car to oversnow.
2) The train stops at 8pm at night during the week. 10pm Fri and Sat night.
3) You can drive to Perisher at night and unload gear but you can't leave your car there overnight despite the fact that Perisher is huge and spread out and you want to get up early and move it the next morning so you can go skiing.
4) You can drive back down to Sawpit Ck and park there but there is no way of getting back up the hill. Note that there aren't ANY shuttle buses day or night to assist you parking at Sawpit Ck - I'm guessing that "assists" everyone in using the train "for their convenience".
5) In essence Perisher have made it virtually impossible for anyone to get to a lodge after the last train thereby excluding all Sydneysiders wanting to drive down after work to ski the next day. If you do leave early and plan to ski the next day you can then enjoy a special price for a 10 minute ride on the train despite the fact that you will then be spending all your coins in Perisher anyway. How friendly!
6) By contrast, you can arrive at Thredbo at any time and walk back to your lodge after parking a vehicle 24/7.
7) Hitch-hiking to and from Sawpit Ck is really your only option. Nothing like getting back to your backpacking days when you are parting with thousands of dollars to spend a week in the snow is there?

Sorry Perisher - but you clearly are not interested in having lodge users arriving after 8pm at all and making it as hard as possible to drive up so you can unload and get rid of your vehicle. This is all quite bizarre because what you CAN do is put 5 people in a car, drive up as a day tripper with a packed lunch, spend nothing, don't ski, clog up the day carpark and drive back out all for the cost of one car entry into the National Park. Is that really who you want to attract? Unbelievable.

I wish I had known this before I bought into my lodge up there!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Saw a bloke with thumbs out at Sawpit the other day and wondered what he was doing there. I didn't have any room so gave him a wave but if people knew there was a common thumbs-out spot, we could help.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Saw a bloke with thumbs out at Sawpit the other day and wondered what he was doing there. I didn't have any room so gave him a wave but if people knew there was a common thumbs-out spot, we could help.

Have done this. Amazing the number of crunts who wouldn't give you the time of day.

• Sad
Reactions: currawong and Donza

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
If you are a bit adventurous and keen, drop everything/everybody off at Perisher then drive around to Guthega for parking and put your head torch and touring skis/skins on and ski back to Perisher. Nice easy to follow pisted tracks. Enjoy a late night beer at your lodge on arrival.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

RXI73D

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2005
Sydney
I believe that is, the next problem
It states directly underneath that statement on their website to ring Brendan. I can confirm that Brendan will drive in the evening and did so for me a couple of weeks ago.

066328AB-13F8-4FB0-8D61-583F879958AF.jpeg

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
Is it public transport?
Its pretty much private transport.

Privately owned public transport. It’s still a public transport system.

You would probably find that if they run a more reliable late service on Friday and Sunday it would be more utilised.

Would be good to see some better night life on mountain. It’s definitely worse than it has been in years gone by

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.

You would probably find that if they run a more reliable late service on Friday and Sunday it would be more utilised.

Would be good to see some better night life on mountain. It’s definitely worse than it has been in years gone by
Try catching a bus or train in Sydney at 3 am.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

They ran a late night train for years.
Friends that were on grave shift up the hill used to use. They were often the only ones at 11pm Friday.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
They ran a late night train for years.
Friends that were on grave shift up the hill used to use. They were often the only ones at 11pm Friday.
One of the most impressive customer service efforts I have come across was Hans and the Tube late one night (this was back in the day when they ran a Tube every hour all night). We had a kid with severe gastric problems. Hans and the Tube did a coordinate and got the kid down to Bullocks with a rush cat and off schedule Tube.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

This is all a result of the Master Plan that requires the lodges and any other buildings to be disparate which does give Perisher it particular look and feel. And it is very nice in most lodges as their outlooks are generally not into the side of another lodge.

All of which is why the the looooong planned central Village area (planned for the car park, who needs a car park?) is probably actually really important to make Perisher a significant ski resort. And in that centre is where you can expect eateries and night life.

Who goes out after skiing? I'm knackered, eat sleep, ski repeat.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
This is all a result of the Master Plan that requires the lodges and any other buildings to be disparate which does give Perisher it particular look and feel. And it is very nice in most lodges as their outlooks are generally not into the side of another lodge.

All of which is why the the looooong planned central Village area (planned for the car park, who needs a car park?) is probably actually really important to make Perisher a significant ski resort. And in that centre is where you can expect eateries and night life.

The apres hours from 4pm to 7pm overseas are epic.
Light dinner after.
Shower or spa .
Bed and nurofen

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999

There was no plan. The Park Trust and lodge builders did a tour of the mountain. "Where do you want to build?""

"Here

"OK"

Fussbudget things like surveys were sorted a couple of years after the lodges were built.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Its a npws thing.
Its n’ken ridiculous.
You'd think its ice station zebra
true, but if everyone thought it a good idea to park overnight then how would you clear the car park of snow/ice before the punters arrive in the morning?

Reactions: Marty McSly

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
The SAP proposal for a dedicated snow play area at Piper Gap, with adjunct parking is a good idea and very much needed, especially in light of significant parking and car access issues over the last couple of years. However, there are many who oppose for the sake of opposing. They are the reason why progress has stalled in Perisher for the last 20 years.
2000 master plan anyone?

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W

Once upon a time it was great. Tuesday nights I think it was we would walk up to the sundeck for comedy night. Other nights we may be at the man or one of the other bars for a night out. It was part of the on mountain experience. Not as full on as being down at Jindabyne but there was always a couple of nights a week that you could do something.

Reactions: teebee

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Not at Hot-ham.
doesn't the bus run till midnight-ish? you can unload, park and get the bus back

IIRC at Falls parking and oversnow run till 10ish and 12ish on fri/sat. there are a few car parks reserved for late night arrivals. worst case you unload the basics, walk to lodge then come back in the morning and complete the operation. carpark troopies were long ago replaced with vans.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Coollhand

First Runs
Aug 3, 2022
Skitube runs on demand after the scheduled timetable finishes.
Errr...no it doesn't. I checked that - there on-site of course because it is quite literally impossible to ring anyone at Perisher and email responses (when they eventually responded) were evasive on what the exact situation was.

Reactions: cornice12

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Errr...no it doesn't. I checked that - there on-site of course because it is quite literally impossible to ring anyone at Perisher and email responses (when they eventually responded) were evasive on what the exact situation was.
I don't mean to be that guy.
However skitube on demand pretty much finished prior to covid.
Since then. Perisher exists on barebones staffing in every facet due to covid..
Skitube is basically a skilift that operates to deliver day skiers to the hill to limit the amount of traffic on the Kosciuszko Rd.
Its not a on demand service to deliver lodge guests to their accommodation at odd hours.

3decks

One of Us
Feb 1, 2002
Fair enough. Caught it plenty of times in the past. Private train. Haven’t needed it this year as Elon let’s me work remote on Fridays now.

Just get a Snowy Mountains private shuttle then.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
@Coollhand The issue is not a "Perisher" issue as we clarified earlier, it is a NPWS issue.

So, in that sense, you can blame your lodge for not providing parking.

On the Skitube costs, if you have an Epic pass, buying Skitube add-on day tickets for your up day and down day is cheaper than the open return.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
It states directly underneath that statement on their website to ring Brendan. I can confirm that Brendan will drive in the evening and did so for me a couple of weeks ago.

066328AB-13F8-4FB0-8D61-583F879958AF.jpeg

Yes, B'wendan hates small & medium size fluffy marsupials....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using