One of Us
- Jul 11, 2015
So Lodge had no parking , our. Lodge is short on parks and we do use Sawpit , but cars in sludge have to ferry folk aroundFor those of you in Sydney wanting to drive down at night to Perisher after work from Sydney a few tips.
1) If you are aiming to leave early from work and ski the day after be aware that the 10 minute ride up on the train is a whopping $136 return because you didn't buy a lift pass that day you naughty person. This will get you back however within the next two weeks. This means for example if you five people on board and use it to get up there this will cost you a total of $680 AND you still then need to load from car to train to station to oversnow. Drive up and you can load from car to oversnow.
2) The train stops at 8pm at night during the week. 10pm Fri and Sat night.
3) You can drive to Perisher at night and unload gear but you can't leave your car there overnight despite the fact that Perisher is huge and spread out and you want to get up early and move it the next morning so you can go skiing.
4) You can drive back down to Sawpit Ck and park there but there is no way of getting back up the hill. Note that there aren't ANY shuttle buses day or night to assist you parking at Sawpit Ck - I'm guessing that "assists" everyone in using the train "for their convenience".
5) In essence Perisher have made it virtually impossible for anyone to get to a lodge after the last train thereby excluding all Sydneysiders wanting to drive down after work to ski the next day. If you do leave early and plan to ski the next day you can then enjoy a special price for a 10 minute ride on the train despite the fact that you will then be spending all your coins in Perisher anyway. How friendly!
6) By contrast, you can arrive at Thredbo at any time and walk back to your lodge after parking a vehicle 24/7.
7) Hitch-hiking to and from Sawpit Ck is really your only option. Nothing like getting back to your backpacking days when you are parting with thousands of dollars to spend a week in the snow is there?
Sorry Perisher - but you clearly are not interested in having lodge users arriving after 8pm at all and making it as hard as possible to drive up so you can unload and get rid of your vehicle. This is all quite bizarre because what you CAN do is put 5 people in a car, drive up as a day tripper with a packed lunch, spend nothing, don't ski, clog up the day carpark and drive back out all for the cost of one car entry into the National Park. Is that really who you want to attract? Unbelievable.
I wish I had known this before I bought into my lodge up there!
It works .people come from Sydney every Saturday and ski Sunday ?