Why doesn't Hotham have terrain park?

potato pie

First Runs
May 9, 2007
South Sydney
Can someone please tell me why Hotham doesn't have a terrain park??

Myself and a few mates (from Sydney) are looking at alternatives to Perisher and Thredbo this year and were looking at vic resorts. Hotham looks like the goods in terms of terrain but considering the reliability of oz snow seasons, we would like the safety net of a terrain park if the snow is crapola (95% chance). As far as I can see Hotham only has a pipe which I assume would be extremely crowded every day?? Why don't they build a terrain park? or do they? Any other suggestions for where to go?

Cheers in advance

Rednut

First Runs
Mar 11, 2005
Ballarat
Last year they had a few rails set up behind swindlers...

If you are after a park though, buller and falls do it better than hotham

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
Hotham has a park, the terrain at hotham although it is great to ski/ride it isn't all that good for building parks. Its normally on the summit running down to road runner, i haven't every seen it all that good but your ticket works at falls which has the best park in australia so its not to bad.

**Princess**

First Runs
Jul 24, 2006
Victoria
Hotham hasn't had a pipe for probably 2 years, maybe 3.

Park is on the Summit off Road Runner, but didn't even get up last year. Most they had were rails underneath Swindlers and occassionally a couple of beginner rails on Big D.

For park go to Falls. Beginners on Drovers and advanced on Ruined Castle.

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
potato pie said:
Can someone please tell me why Hotham doesn't have a terrain park??...
It doesn't have a terrain park because there is no snow at the moment ... when there is snow they will build a terrain park like they do every year, maybe not as good as Falls' one, but they will build one ... :goose:

Last edited by a moderator:

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
What the others said.
Wait til end of June/early July. If season looks ok-to-good (or hopefully better) book for Hotham, you won't be disappointed.
There won't be a park at Hotham if there is no natural snow anyway, whereas Falls and Buller will do their best to build one.

potato pie

First Runs
May 9, 2007
South Sydney
thanks everyone (trappers you're a genius!!) Was just going off the ski.com review and stats page which said it doesn't have a park! Didn't know you could go to falls on same ticket so will def look into that.. snow pending!!

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
potato pie said:
...(trappers you're a genius!!) ...
:D
laugh.gif
Thanks!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Potato Pie, don't go to hotham expecting a decent park especially if the season is crap like last year. I was at hotham in late Aug 2005 and the park was up, it was under summit chair just like the others have said, however, it hadn't been groomed in a while and temps over previous days had been quite warm making the snow too slow to get enough speed to hit 90% of the features. If we had been there a few days prior it would have been real fun. They had some nice lines setup with various sized jumps & rails.
I still think it's a bad spot for the terrain park as the summit is too open and prone to high winds, bad visibility, etc.
Road Runner would be far better as it's more sheltered...
There is also a smaller rail only park outside swindlers as the others have said also....
in all reality u don't go to hotham for park though, again as others have said!
There are some great spots that require minimal hiking to build jumps also.
Definitely go for Falls or Buller if you want a good park....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

cej

Hard Yards
Jul 9, 1999
Adelaide, SA, Aus
While you might not always have a pipe or terrain park built at Hotham, there are natural features that park riders will like. Canyon and Gun Barrel have pipe-like features. There are many areas for jumps, including Watershed, The Cornice, and Purgatory Spur.

The jumps below Swindlers are usually there quickly, and boardercross courses are sometimes built.

potato pie

First Runs
May 9, 2007
South Sydney
VSG - I'm not after an urban street park covered in snow. I'd be more than happy to steer clear of the park and spend a week riding off piste in 'decent' snow cover and, dare I say it, waist deep powder!! But the reality is this is Australia and I'd have more chance of finding an Englishman with a sun tan than that happening!

If I'm spending the $$$$$$$$$$ I wouldn't mind the contingency of a decent park to hurt myself in if conditions weren't favourable... looks like it's in the hands of Mother Nature.. Good snow cover = Hotham.. Average snow cover = falls.. Thanks to all!! (except strappers, of course!!)

scottynz

First Runs
May 5, 2005
Mt Buller
Buller are dedicated to building a good park. Last year they raped Bourke St of all useable snow and built a pretty fun setup which left about 2cm across the rest of the run. This was much to the Mountain Ops Manager and everyone above hims disgust...... but hey.... i was pretty happy!!

If there is snow... hands down it will be the best park in Australia!!

Ill claim it right there. I know im probably gonna take heat on that but whatever. Wait and see what the winter brings!!

piranha

Hard Yards
Jul 19, 2006
Burnley
I vote for a park under road runner in between playground so you can do short laps as well. No one really uses that old chair anyway (playground).
The mini park at Hotham last season was fun for a few days but the main park needs a better season to get going.

I guess the limited supply of snow was also needed for other silly things like the beginner runs. Pfft. I say show them newbs some tough love - nothing makes you learn faster than falling painfully on frozen rocky grass halfway down summit on your first day! That's called motivation.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Peter Tork said:
Terrain Parks don't appeal to MFS.
I think they do. Most people say Falls has the best park, which must mean MFS like them.

The best thing about parks is that they keep so many snownboarders off the proper runs :fishing:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
yes but you can't sustain an argument that the reason for Hotham having a bad park is just because MFS own it. Surely if that was the main reason, MFS wouldn't bother with parks at Falls.

Perhaps it's because there is less suitable terrain that catches enough snow and won't stuff up popular runs too much (although I would argue that most parks stuff up runs that were much better without them)

and for the record, my favourite was Mike, and most of my friends went for Davey :p

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
They got you building the park this season Balthy? Hope huey gives you lots of white stuff to work with!

frankenstein

First Runs
Jul 21, 2003
Balthazar B said:
It's already built...

I just have the keys to wheel it out and dust it off for the kiddies.
:wally:
Only one part of the park goes into the shed. I hope season '07 provides the goods for the rest of it

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
HOTHAM TERRAIN PARK.... ARE YOU JOKEING!!!!
I've done the last ten full seasons straight, and hotham never commits to a terrain park...NEVER. Why not you ask? It's because the powers that be don't want it(they don't use them!)There is plenty of snow right now. A terrain park dosn't have to be huge. A box,log,rail ect can all sit ON the snow. And voila, a terrain park. And as mother nature allows the spines hips,burms,jumps,table tops can come(just look at perisher thredbo buller they have all started already)Hotham is always last if at all. Come to hotham for the best natural terrain, fall line, and least T-bars not terrain parks or you'll be dissapointed.

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
TERRIAN PARK @HOTHAM

How far behind will hotham be this year? Buller had boxes for opening weekend. Perisher always has a good crack at it. Thredbo has stepped it up. Falls is usually all over it. Why not have a go hotham.

Planks & Sticks

One of Us
Dec 23, 2005
Fitzroy
www.yellowredfox.com
Re: TERRIAN PARK @HOTHAM

Why are you frustrated with Hotham about their parks? Don't like it? Fair enough, you don't have to keep using their "product". You could always try and find a different resort with better parks to satisfy your requirements.

But that is just my opinion.

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com
Re: TERRIAN PARK @HOTHAM

Yeah come and check out the MBP park at Buller. Plus there's a pretty sweet big air on Summit thanks to the grooming team.

If I want good coffee, I don't keep going back to McDonalds hoping they will change and then complain about it.

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Re: TERRIAN PARK @Hotham

C'mon guys, Hothamsgreat seems to be a Hotham and a park riding fan, so he has every right to voice his frustrations regarding the park at Hotham.

Let's cut the new posters some slack around here - I know all you Sno-Info veterans have seen it all before, but some of the new members haven't, so let them have their say too.
beer.gif

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Balthazar B said:
It's already built...

I just have the keys to wheel it out and dust it off for the kiddies.

So there seems to be a park built according to Balthy, Hothamsgreat. Are you not happy with it?

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
Skiers left of Sun Run is used for ski races.
Sun Run proper would be too narrow if a park was put on it.

I think the somewhere like Greenline would be good for a park and Pipe. Gotcha chair would then get a lot more use. At the moment it is really only an access chair for the Orchard area.

Heli

A Local
Jun 15, 2000
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
HOTHAMSGREAT said:
HOTHAM TERRAIN PARK.... ARE YOU JOKEING!!!!
I've done the last ten full seasons straight, and hotham never commits to a terrain park...NEVER.

Well, this looks awfully like the Hotham terrain park to me....
cool.gif

Hotham%20TP1.jpg

Hotham%20TP2.jpg

Hotham%20TP3.jpg

Cherry Ripe

A Local
Jun 23, 1999
melbourne
Cuppa said:
Skiers left of Sun Run is used for ski races.
Sun Run proper would be too narrow if a park was put on it.

I think the somewhere like Greenline would be good for a park and Pipe. Gotcha chair would then get a lot more use. At the moment it is really only an access chair for the Orchard area.

Brilliant idea, that is what I have always thought as well, an area that gets very little use, well served by a lift.

Falls' park is great, but IMO it ruined some of the best terrain in the resort.

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
Okay, lets do a litte analysis on terrain parks and resorts.

For a terrain park you basically want a 'flat' area. Probably a green run, so that you don't have heaps of speed and hit jumps and wind up in geostationary orbit.

Hotham, surprise surprise, has bugger all green terrain. On top of that, the green terrain is at the top of hills - where snow is blown off. In contrast, falls sits in the ruined castle bowl where snow pools. Buller is in the lee of Baldy. So there is issues with snow supply.

Okay, next issue. Hotham is pretty much geared for riding the natural terrain. That is what it has always been about. Now, if you owned two resorts, and one lends itself to parks, pipes and 'family fun' and the other to the expert end of the skiiers market - why would you pour $$$ towards both resorts.

It's simple, you have a choice... if you hate the park, ride elsewhere. If you can't ride elsewhere then make the most of what you have.

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
I'm glad you posted these because it proves that hotham is well capeable of a very decent park. I'm just wondering if you have a shot of this a week later? I believe these shots were taken during the billabong slopestyle. (paid for by billabong)This course was not open to the public only competitors. Its usually the last week of aug when the park boys get told to build a park for the billabong team and yep they tend to flatten them very soon after the event. Very frustrating for those of us not in the competition circut. As for blathys park it must still be in the shed. Maybe we'll see it late september.My request it that hotham gets on track with some features some time soon. Whada ya recon the chances are???

Paulie

First Runs
May 29, 2000
...too far away from Bogong :(
Surely you don't go to Hotham for a terrain park in the 1st place

If you want a good park go to Falls.

I think most folk ride Hotham because it has the steepest lift accessed terrain available in Oz. There are also plenty of natural features to launch off too if you know where to look (and you don't have to look all that hard..).

Planks & Sticks

One of Us
Dec 23, 2005
Fitzroy
www.yellowredfox.com
Paulie said:
I think most folk ride Hotham because it has the steepest lift accessed terrain available in Oz. There are also plenty of natural features to launch off too if you know where to look (and you don't have to look all that hard..).
That comment is bound to start some argument...
wink.gif

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
I love hotham for everythig it has,including in my opinion the best terrian. Thats why I come here. But like everyone even when you have the best you want more......example- 20cm of fresh,30 would be better.
So I'm asking for a bit more effort in the terrain park side of things.(besides they do advertise it)

potato pie

First Runs
May 9, 2007
South Sydney
Yardsale said:
For a terrain park you basically want a 'flat' area. Probably a green run, so that you don't have heaps of speed and hit jumps and wind up in geostationary orbit.

Hotham, surprise surprise, has bugger all green terrain. On top of that, the green terrain is at the top of hills - where snow is blown off.

So where was the park built in heli's pics if Hotham has none suitable??

I originally started this thread to ask why Hotham doesn't have a balance. Sure, majority of people go there for its renown steep terrain (fwell or oz anyway) and thats the very reason why me and my mates are going this year for the first time. But what about those who want to ride the natural steep stuff and have a little park action aswell?? What about the days when the conditions dont suit the steep terrain, why not have a park to keep the paying public happy??

and with the way snow sports have been/ are progressing (and lets throw in global warming and gradual decline in snowfalls aswell).. i wonder how long Hotham can compete with just its natural terrain as the selling point and nothing else??

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
Thats what I'm talking about my friend, you are on the money. Hotham was on the bottom of the pile last season, because there was very limited terrian(due to lack of white stuff). And like usual they put in a very half assed effort on the terrain park."no snow" I hear. Rubbish cause every other mountian gave it a crack. And 'hotham' managed to find heaps of snow for the (paid for) boardacross comp.

Answer to your original question potato pie- come to hotham for steep,( and deep if your lucky)
And if The universe is allighned for your visit the you may get a taste off a terrain park.
You won't be dissapointed with the terrain. Only the park

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
potato pie said:
So where was the park built in heli's pics if Hotham has none suitable??

On the only bit of area that is suitable. On the side of the main green run, across a bridge and down an area also used for a race course. The point being, that there is not the available amount of real estate that some of the other resorts have (ie: the large amount of space to the side if Skyline at Buller and under the Ruined Castle chair at Falls).

We have had conversations in the past where we tried to identify other areas. Hotham even tried to put together a pipe over near gotcha one year, but every time it snowed, it filled the pipe in.

HOTHAMSGREAT, put up some suggestions. There are people that work at Hotham that post here. If you can be constructive and put up some ideas, that might get done.

I was up there the week of the boardercross comp and saw them making the park. Most of the snow came from under the road runner chair. I don't work up there, so don't know for certain, but it occurs to me that perhaps it was being left there for just that purpose. After the comp it was spread out onto the rest of the runs to top up the cover.

The thing to remember is that 'rubbish, other mountains gave it a crack' doesn't really wash as an argument. MFS liesure had the responsibility to return as much profit as possible to investors - I'm sure that the decisions on what to do with the snow last year were carefully considered. Certainly if I was there, I would have done a quick estimate of now in reserve, the impact of shifting it and the cost involved and made a decision from there.

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
so is there no money in parks?????
I think not. almost every resort in the world has a park. There is a huge part of the ski snowboard industry revolved around park. Nearly all of the ski and board companies have a line directed at park.
Its not about weither hotham has the area, its hothams stale narrow minded events department. Maybe charge them $90 for a day pass and they will start looking for more to offer the average paying guest like potato pie.
The pipe near gotcha chair...They only had one attempt to push up snow then it was left to fill in. Pipe cutter never made it over there. When it snows its time to recut it, not abandon it.
Suitable spot for a park.....averlanche gully side of the summit. Perfect pitch, snow farm out of averlanche, suitable but not perfect(better than nothing). Currently not used for anything else. So we could start pushing up a park tomorrow!(yes there is enough snow I was over there today)
Or top of raod runner to the bridge. But lets get it happening now.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass