Thats about all it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
HOTHAMSGREAT said:
so is there no money in parks?????

No that is not what I said. Maybe I have to say it a bit simpler. You have 1 company that owns 2 resorts. You have a limited amount of product (snow) and a reduced customer base. You need to make decisions based on the projected revenue, the running costs and the relative bang for buck you can get from your product. You also need to examine the demographic and the size of your client base. Falls has a much bigger freestyle program than Hotham does, it has much more snowmaking and much better scope for a park under the lift. A larger percentage of skiiers and boarders use the park at Falls than Hotham. You have spare accomodation capacity at both resorts. You are looking to ensure return on investment from the large amount of snowmaking you have had to do over at Falls.

So where do you try and attract people to.

Now that, of course, sucks if you own a place at Hotham and are restricted to there... but the management are bound NOT TO CARE about that profit maximisation is the only goal a director of a company has.

So, if you are going to suggest something, make sure you are looking it at through the eyes of 'how is this going to earn MFS more money given the current conditions'.

HOTHAMSGREAT said:
Its not about weither hotham has the area, its hothams stale narrow minded events department.

Prove it. Can you?

HOTHAMSGREAT said:
The pipe near gotcha chair...They only had one attempt to push up snow then it was left to fill in.

My point exactly. It filled in. Do you have any other news to add regarding this one? The walls were actually never finished off.

HOTHAMSGREAT said:
Suitable spot for a park.....averlanche gully side of the summit. Perfect pitch, snow farm out of averlanche, suitable but not perfect(better than nothing). Currently not used for anything else.

Ever noticed the pipe there over the past few years? That doesn't take up much snow does it? Not like they snow farm that side to top up the snow on summit or anything is it? And as for snow farming out of avalanch gully, don't people ski there - aren't there quite a few rocks just under the surface?

HOTHAMSGREAT said:
Or top of raod runner to the bridge. But lets get it happening now.

Given that you're up there and Hotham are short of stuff, shouldn't you be applying for a groomer's job, so you can be on staff and do something about it? Winging on a forum is just going to make resort management look out for a winger to make sure they don't employ them. If you want something done, get in there and do it.

Now, to use my own pilosophy and past experience I will agree with you that a terrain park should be happening now. The best thing to get kids up on the mountain and amused in poor snow conditions is a terrain park that they can huck and hike. Get some rails and some smallish jumps in. That will bring people at the start.

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
Ok where half way there.The company has spent a truck load of money on a pipe cutter and park bully?
I worked for the park crew a few years ago. And unfortunately its not up to the "workers" when, where, or if. Its higher up the chain where the decisions are made. And it dosn't help the park when the "decision makers" arn't interested in park.
AS for getting ajob as a cat driver. Its also not up to the cat drivers when the park happens.
The top(roll over) of Averlanch gully is a natural snow drift and usually holds decent amounts of snow. Yes people do ski there,(one of my favourite hikes) farming snow at the top won't effect that because you don't farm to the dirt.

If hotham committed to putting in an effort with the terrian park it would increase the reasons for people to choose hotham as a place to ski/board. Just look at the number of people who have looked at this forum and the hotham halfpipe fourum... (i asume most of them are interested in hothams park/pipe)
Interestingly enough today while riding road runner I noticed there is some snow piles apearing under the summit.....Don't hold your breath park rats but maybe or hopefully this is the start of something parkish. Also some rails infront of swindlers....they were still closed but it looked like maybe the weekend...maybe.
Oh I forgot to mention all the "FREE" publicity a park brings. Just flick through any ski or board mag and you'll see pages and pages of photos of people ripping a terrain park and it always has where the shot is. And thats ...."FREE advertising"

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
There are already crew that have left Hotham for Falls park in the last 3yrs, it just depends if you are that committed to park, really free ride pretty much sucks in Australia (fun but $h!t) so its simple, ride the best park.

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Hothamisgreat: But the fact of the matter is, people do not care ...

you yourself said you would go to Hotham regardless of whether there is a park or half pipe or not! So where is the financial incentive for them to go to the effort of building anything other than a token park if people will come anyway.

As I said in the other thread, money talks, bullsh(t walks, and while you are whinging here about Hothams lack of park, you are not going to actually make them change it.

Now your comment "Oh I forgot to mention all the "FREE" publicity a park brings", is about the only decent argument you have made. But Hotham (as you yourself said) does build a big decent park for competition events. How many pics in the mags are of just average joe blow punters riding the park? But you are wrong about one thing it is not "FREE", building, and maintaining and supervising parks takes a lot of work, lots of staff, lots of $, not to mention the significantly increased public liability issues.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
HOTHAMSGREAT said:
Just look at the number of people who have looked at this forum and the hotham halfpipe fourum... (i asume most of them are interested in hothams park/pipe)

Not this little black duck - I'm just here for the blood sport.

My only interest in parks is that helps keep the boarders and twin tippers off the real slopes so that I've got more space to play
tongue.gif

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
Some good points trappers. But at the end of the day I'm part of the paying public and I'm aloud to express my thoughts on hothams lack of park. The more people that do makes the difference.
Maybe the piles of snow under the summit are the start of somthing great. And even currawong and the likes will get their way and have the slopes to themselves.
I agree hotham gets away without a park.
But it would be a much better place for everyone if it had one!

potato pie

First Runs
May 9, 2007
South Sydney
Hothams great - i like your enthusiasm towards such a worthy cause... if only the powers that be at Hotham shared the same views!!!

Well if the fun police aren't going to construct a man-made terrain park i might have to get some pointers on where to find the natural hits that I hear so much about?? I'm sure you know what it's like when you go to a new resort for only a week - you find all the good stuff on your last day!!!

and Trappers - I hear what your saying about the financial burden associated with terrain parks etc but if all other resorts manage to foot these bills then surely a resort like Hotham could too???

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jynx 1207

Hard Yards
Jul 1, 2005
Melbourne
Potato pie - with what hotham are charging, I'm sure they could too. But what i think trappers is saying is that because falls and hotham are run by the same company, they see no need to foot that bill twice. they're already pouring money into the falls terrain park.

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
I agree potato pie and jynx. To add that hotham only has to staff 13 lifts which costs alot less than most other resorts ....who still manage to finance a park. I believe there would be money in a terrain park for hotham. Why do most resorts in the world put money and resources onto them?
Just look at snow park in new zealand its only been going for a few years and is now one of the most published resorts in the southern hemisphere. (quite possably the most published)
Remember- hotham has spent the money on the pipe cutter and the park bully, they have a "terrain park crew" there is suitabe terrain (averlanch side of the summit and under road runner to the bridge)
Why spend all that money, advertise and trick the average paying public into thinking that something is going to happen? (because they still want the image and the patronage)

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
Here's an idea - why don't you guys who want a park at Hotham, take all the energy, the points, the arguments you're putting into this thread, and divert it to a written request made directly to Hotham Management?

Cause I sure as hell know that having a ranting thread on these forums aren't going to get anything built.

hothams great

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
hotham vic
Another good point.......
A letter was drafted the last week of august 2006. It was looking like there was going to be no attempt at a park at all. It covered all of the raised points and a few more ( safety issues re- last year the village loop was the terrain park mixed with hundreds of beginners)
The reply was.... 4 days later they pushed up a few hits.
Interestingly enough they actually had a lot less snow to play with than 3 weeks earlier( have a look at the snow chart on hothams web site)
No written reply (as requested) explaining hothams lack of enthusiasm/organization.
I am secretly hoping that hotham has someone watching this forum and picks up a few pointers and sees that people do care.(plenty of interest in the topic) Or maybe thats just naive.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass