1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Why doesn't Thredbo allow Tobogganing / have snow play area?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Dos, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Dos

Dos One of Us

I've been wondering since last Winter when I organised a tour group to snowy mountain and was told Thredbo doesn't allow tobogganing. That left me Perisherm as the only choice at the time because it allows everything.

I can't think of any reason why Thredbo should not allow tobogganing because I'm sure if they did it would boost number of visitors to the resort. They missed 55 people from my group last Winter and I'm sure many more groups too.

2. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

There isnt really any place for them to operate.

It may also be to try and avoid legal liabilities from injuries?

3. Dos

Dos One of Us

I'd think the area at the back of Friday Flat (the proposed Beginner Bowl) would be suitable for Tobogganing. It's wide and long enough.

I read WikiSki and Dead Horse Gap was suggested as alternative for tobogganing.
    Re: Cons - Tobogganing is not allowed in Thredbo (But is allowed at nearby Dead Horse Gap)

From that suggestion I imagined that Dead Horse Gap would be something like a small village with tobogganing area. It was the reason why I walked from Thredbo Village to Dead Horse Gap just to see how it looked like... only to find that there was absolutely nothing there -_-''

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102308850447378142650/albums/5799221416749254833

[​IMG]

#3 Dos, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  4. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

I thought neither Thredbo nor Perisher allowed tobogganing...

My recollection was it started after Perisher got sued by the idiot who used a sign to toboggan. The reasoning being that if the resort makes the snow the resort is responsible for stopping people being idiots on it. Hence why Dead Horse Gap is OK - outside the resort boundary.

At one stage the golf course was Ok - because no man made... not sure now...

I think the claim was that the resort did not make ENOUGH effort to point out that tobogganing is potentially dangerous and so owed the hurt person.

5. Dos

Dos One of Us

#5 Dos, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  6. Dos

Dos One of Us

Ps. Just wondering... Can you guys see the pictures I attached as well as the photo albums I link to?

7. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Pics and links working fine

8. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Lake Mountain would be non-existent without snow-players/tobogganers. They would account for 90% of resort visitors. Skiers the other 10%. Only 2 or 3 injuries a year requiring ambulance, out of tens of thousands of visitors.

9. kiter

kiter One of Us

I watched a massive school group having a ball tobogganing and sliding on their bums on the man made snow run (sundowner I think it is called ) that runs under merrits and to the bottom of merrits and snowgums toward the end of last season They walked up the grass and slid back down ,I don't think this is officially allowed but its not the first time Iv e seen it .im pretty sure that i have seen tobagganers at fri flat too .I think an "official area under merrits would be good for thredbo and the food vendors and village shops too like the perisher area with a lift and the meteal toboggan run operating in no natural snow times (I'm pretty sure thay had it going late season 2012

10. gareth_oau

Thredbo could make money from it - build a toboggan area up near merrits and charge people a tobogganing lift ticket to get there!

make them all sign a disclaimer when they buy a ticket stating they cannot sue

11. Dos

Dos One of Us

If this place next to Friday Flat doesn't fit...

[​IMG]

this area to the right of the road might be a good idea, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

#11 Dos, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  12. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Liability.

The toboggan area at Perisher is run by the National Park.

13. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I took the snow virgin tour girls to Perisher from Thredbo for the day specifically for the tobogganing snow play and tube rides. Spent $$ on the tubing and having lunch, $$ Thredbo is missing out on. But the place is already bursting at th seams - if the young families with snow players were encouraged it would be even more so. I assume resort management would rather spend the money attracting money spinning skiers and boarders, who'll buy lift tix and spent big on alcohol.

14. Dos

Dos One of Us

Well, for most tour groups, there will be people who only do snow playing/tobogganing and those who do skiing and snowboarding. Our group for example, out of 55, 25 did snow playing/tobogganing, 20 snowboarding and 10 skiing. Out of these 30, about 15 bought lift passes. That means my group alone they missed out 15 day-passes. Not to mention meals that we spent at the canteen.

15. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It's about a 3 metre high hill with about 100 metres of flat run-out area. No level of idiocy is likely to cause you to run into anything. I'm not sure that Thredbo has an area with enough of a flat at the end, and you have to sell a LOT of lift tickets to cover a compo claim.

Ultimately it'll be their insurance company that makes the decision. I'm sure Thredbo would like to put a toboggan area in but not if their public liability won't cover it.

#15 Piste Again, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  16. gareth_oau

you can virtually always buy insurance, its just up to the ciustomer how much premium they are willing to pay.

17. Dos

Dos One of Us

Can the resort avoid liability by fencing the area properly and put ting up a clear sign at the gate saying that everyone entering this area does so at their own risk and that they cannot sue the resort for injuries?

18. gareth_oau

nope, because there is an assumption that the person can read, and can understand what has been read, and that the area has been prepared by thredbo in such away that there is no negligence by the resort

19. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I'd doubt it. Thredbo forbade tobogganing when I was a kid. I can remember the signs from the early eighties with skull and cross bones saying tobogganing was banned at Thredbo.

20. Dos

Dos One of Us

Thredbo FB answered me like this -- not rulling out completely, but no commitment either.

@Thredbo Resort
    "Hi Dos, Thredbo do not have the appropriate terrain to safely operate a tobogganing and snow play area. The majority of the terrain is utilised for downhill skiing and boarding. It is something we will look into in the future."

21. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Having used the one near perisher, running into others, or being run into, is a very real way to get hurt I'd reckon.

#21 climberman, Dec 31, 2012
  22. Piste Again

True. I was thinking more of running into trees, rocks and other relatively immovable objects.

#22 Piste Again, Dec 31, 2012
  23. gareth_oau

but someone could spill their coffee on themselves and sue the resort

24. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

all funny in jokes gareth but PB was sued, along with NPWS, by a guy who was severely injured whilst tobogganing on an old real estate sign. There was only partial liability I think. The judgement is likely still on the web, try austlii if interested.

25. Piste Again

From memory the guy sued PB and also went for workers comp as he was a teacher and was supervising school kids on an excursion or something.

26. Dos

Dos One of Us

True. I did run into a kid who stepped onto my way without looking up hill. I had to practically lean forward and spoon him up then let him rest on top of my body to minimise his injury. Luckily, he was only shocked, but otherwise uninjured.

#26 Dos, Dec 31, 2012
  27. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

People that go to the snow to toboggan;
    a) rarely stay in resort.
    b) are mostly day trippers with a packed lunch.
    c) don't buy lift tickets.

The only money to be made by the resort is from hire gear - pants, jacket, shoes and toboggan. There would only be a small percent that didn't already hire the gear in Jindy or Canberra or Sydney.
    Any money spent in the resort would be on donuts and coffee (not KT owned).

Just look at the Friday Flat public area or stand in Fridays Bistro and watch how many day trippers are loitering. There is no money to be made by Thredbo in tobogganing, they get in the way and attract the "wrong" element to a resort (those with a closed wallet).

28. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    Tell them to go to Selwyn. Snow play...who in a right mind travels all that way and pay all that cash to play in slush? Keep it cool, snow play is not. Anyway, riding the flats these days looks sucky. Not like the old days when (as seen in records and old books), they advertised sleigh rides with jingle bells. Keep modern snow play out!