1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Why isn't the BoarderX course at Merritts fenced off properly?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by sbm, Sep 12, 2012.

1. sbm

sbm One of Us

At the moment it feels like an accident waiting to happen, with groups of tiny kids nearly being decapitated by snowboarders doing tricks off each roll-over, people snowploughing and falling-leaf at a snail's pace in blind sections, and people leaving absolutely no space at all before tearing off down the course.

Yesterday, me and a friend tried to block off the top of the boarder X, and establish a proper queue with 10 second gaps between people etc.

Then some proud dad sails cluelessly past, following his snowploughing 5-year old with a camera, blinkers on and completely oblivious to my loud pleas. [​IMG]

I know expecting any kind of etiquette or sensible behaviour at Merritts is laughable, but seriously, at least a fence so only 1 person can enter at a time? And put the "Danger Terrain Park Advanced Riders Only" warning signs in the MIDDLE of the run, not hidden behind a tree off on the right?

Rant over.

#1 sbm, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Mmmm.. It is a bit of a problem.

My boy and I were lapping it during school hols, as he needed to put some hours down on the BoarderX track (is competing in Jan) - and the amount of time we had to pull up because someone found themselves in there totally confused as to why thier run suddenly had features... [​IMG]
    But we just groaned and carried on, thinking it was the price you pay for having an easily accessed public practice track. However a bit of signage, at all the possible entry points, wouldn't go astray.

#2 LMB, Sep 12, 2012
  3. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Its bordercross, youre meant to put an elbow in their head and keep on going! Good training wasted [​IMG]

#3 BobGnarly, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  4. LMB

Funny guy! [​IMG]

#4 LMB, Sep 12, 2012
  5. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Huh funny you should start this, was thinking the same thing last Sunday, until my bloody 9 year old daughter beat me through there on our first run!

6. macdaddy

macdaddy One of Us

Couldn't agree more. Earlier in the season I went through it and went over the first or second roller getting air. Just as I was about to go off it I noticed a young girl (5 perhaps) coming across at speed through the trees with her Dad following her. At the last second the Dad realised what was about to happen and started screaming at his daugher but she was too young and out of control to stop and skied right into the landing zone of this roller. Fortunately I noticed at the last second and am a good skier, I made an adjustment and missed this girl by an uncomfortably close margin. I felt sick for the next hour at what could have been.

I'll hold my hand up and say I was in the wrong, it is your responsibility to avoid people below you on the hill (which I did, but not by enough IMO). But the way those rollers are designed you can't see what is on the other side of them, it was just lucky that I seen her coming across.

I haven't been back through that part of the terrain park all season, but I honestly can't believe that they didn't have it fenced off at the side and assuming that it's still not fenced off I can't believe there hasn't been a bad accident.

7. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The up hill person is not always responsible for avoiding people below. Where trails meet, when moving off from being stationary and when skiing out onto a trail from the side the downhill person is actually responsible. Also you should never stop or ski across a trail where you cannot be seen from above. The number of people that stop on the landing of jumps is amazing.
    We had an incident where one of our kids was taken out by a snowboarder. But our child was at fault not the snowboarder as he had not looked up the hill when trails merged. Luckily no injuries but a completely traumatised snowboarder. It was a very good hard lesson for that child and we all stuff up sometimes.
    When my boys were little, ski school would not take them in a group down high noon even though they were quite capable of skiing that run. They were to small to be seen in a couple of places where it drops away a bit steeper and the risk of being wiped out by a flying skier was jsut to great. Parents also need to be aware of this sort of situation when supervising their children on the slopes.
    So don't beat yourself up to much cause really it wasn't your fault. The child should not have been skiing out from the trees on to a trail without giving way.

8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

sort of but not quite.

there are lots of reasons why someone might be stopped or crossing a blind spot. someone may have fallen, or had to take avoiding action. off the groomers there may be lines that cross and are equally valid to take. unless you are on a roped off course and know that it is clear, you really can't assume that there will be no one in blind spots. it's like driving on mountain roads where you have to suspect that around every blind bend is a fallen tree, a big deer or a bus on the wrong side. if you are in an area frequented by beginners and low intermediates then it is particularly important.

that said, parents, instructors, experienced friends etc should be teaching people about blind spots, looking up hill before starting or crossing a trail and not blocking trails

#8 currawong, Sep 13, 2012
  9. macdaddy

macdaddy One of Us

True all that. I guess the lesson for me was never assume that something is safe unless you know it is. Normally on a Merrits run I'm aware that someone could come out at any time, but I assumed in a boarder cross that I was free to go through as fast as I liked, worrying only about people who'd gone before me (which I knew there was none)

Now whenever I go through one in the future I'll first observe whether it has been fenced off or not and ski accordingly.

10. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

Yep - don't hit a blind rollover or jump unless you have a spotter or the area is roped off...

We kept trying to teach my friends kids to have a spotter when they jump...

Fastman always approaches blind rollovers at speed such that he bleeds speed and gets a look at the downhillside before heading over... Just place the apex above the knoll and use a fair degree of turn as needed... of course this requires an understanding of how to place an apex(not hard but often not understood or practiced)

11. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Was a generalization to be succinct.

Unfortunately lots of people think the rules don't apply to them or just don't have common sense.

When DS1 still skied mainly with us we would spend a lot of time asking people to move from the downside of jumps. He always made sure it was clear but not everyone does. Response was often blank looks at best and rudeness at worst.

Actually last week I bailled from the steepest part of a t-bar due to a fallen child who had no idea what he was doing. Was just easier to do that rather than make it worse for the child who was distressed and being yelled at already.

#11 skichanger, Sep 13, 2012
  12. LMB

It can be hit and miss with how it is received but giving a bit of advise on safe practice when you see unsafe stuff going on is something I feel compelled to do a lot of the time.

Advised a few boarders not to stop and clip in half way between High Noon and the Gunbarrel right where the uphill riders will emerge - you can clearly see the tracks, but I don't think they realized how quickly they could appear there. Everyone I mentioned that to was thankful and moved, but as you say skichanger, sometimes it is not so well received.