1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Why Whole Body = Q & A

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by bawbawbel, May 27, 2017.

?

Have you mastered the Level One White Out Turn?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2019.
  1. Tried and Satisfied. Ready for Level Two, please.

40.0%
  2. Tried and Nearly Died. Not recommended.

20.0%
  3. Sort of interested.

10.0%
  4. Please stop trifling with my technique !

30.0%
  5. Get Thee Hence !

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

It is sad that oldies that I sometimes ski with insist that their technique is "smooth", and they have no option but to put up with retiring to the bar after a one hour bash has their knees swelling..
    "I'm not a beginner, you know !" , after I offer some very basic Eziski tips in response to their casual enquiry.
    But there is no other way.
    Start again with the vaydul snowplough.
    There is no other way.

2. bawbawbel

Q. What goggles do you recommend ?
    A. They should not blow off in the wind.
    Q. Knapson's look cool.
    A. Four hundred dollars ? Don't ask for a hot pair in the pub. They may have GPS tracking.
    Q. Maybe I could try a day trial of Prisms today?
    A. Anything to stop you collecting snowboarders..

3. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

That guy in blue appears to be performing a “kittens pole turn” type manoeuvre !
    He is certainly flicking the “heels”around!

4. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I just found another brilliant example of what can be acheived with a Whole Body turn.

iagreewithhim likes this.
  5. bawbawbel

Mmm. I observe that we need to associate our ski instruction with the most joyful activity that our student enjoys.
    You ski by doin what comes naturally. Chasing a kitten downhill would then be an excellent excercize to prescribe.

I have found an instructor who uses that sort of analogy (Jack). When he stated that "You ski from the eyes down, not the feet up" I anticipated that I had discovered a kindred spirit. Alas, no anticipation was mentioned.
    Even so, one may try his method to get one started:
    "
    "You walk up to a bar and stand between two stools to order a drink. You face the bar (Downhill) and put your hands on the rail (The Handlebars.). The bartender is taking too long so you decide to rest a Cheek on the edge of a barstool. You take your weight off your Right foot, Lift your Right cheek and set it on the edge of the Right Barstool." Now that cheek is getting sore so you, "Put your Right foot back on the floor, take your weight off your Left foot, lift your Left Cheek and set it on the edge of the Left Barstool."

By lifting your cheek, you are forcing your upper body to stay upright in the position it needs to be to balance on one foot while that ski is turning. If you lean your upper body into the turn or toward the barstool, you will fall over. (Been there, Done that!) Look at how much of an angle your lower leg is at. With that much angle, your ski will be on a very hard edge. It will bend and turn much more."

6. bawbawbel

Well, I waded through Jack's 20 recommended utubes, and only one features our inner arm anticipation.
    I think he just included it because of that je ne sais lightness and effortlessness in her skiing.
    And, then, HORROR.
    For the slow motion section, the ex-racer analysis "expert" has not even mentioned it .
    I wonder how many natural skiers have had their style hobbled like that by ex instructors from this very forum ?

7. bawbawbel

What chance of a compulsory Whole Body course for instructors. Buckleys.
    They should at least accept that a new and different style may coexist, (leaving aside my arguement that it is superior in every way), and not INSIST that their victims change.
    I will explain the obvious differences in a thread which is not for students. (but not just now. There are no receptive instructors here, it would appear.)
    The reason being that anticipation is a movement, not a position.
    Instructors will observe the following positions, restrain yourselves and learn, please:
    1. Separation of the skis. This is due to ski lead, carve tracks are still perfect, so leave it alone.
    2. Less knee bend. Now unnecessary for transition, so leave it alone.
    3. Bum protrusion. On the way to an upright and relaxed stance, so leave it alone.
    4. Look and learn, and undo your powerstrap.

#507 bawbawbel, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. bawbawbel

Q. Surely, skiing has moved on since Kruckenhauser's Whole Body style and Lito's relaxation transition ?
    A. Actually, it has been MOVED on by the ski equipment lobby. Skiers with problems will buy new skis every year.
    Even back in 2008 ! Interesting utube. " A night with John Clendenin Stefan Kaelin and Lito Tejada-Flores."
    Unbelievable !
    Lito is kept off camera until John complains.
    Lito: " I keep sending stuff to Skiing Magazine but they won't print it ".
    When he gets the stage for a few moments he is drowned out by other voices.

9. bawbawbel

Q. Why have you abandoned us ? If God wanted us to tip he would have given us all bandy legs !
    A. Consider Harbing as an interesting exercise. Your Wholebody style is a smooth progression from cradle to grave :)

10. KL.

KL. One of Us

BBB, I have been watching Shaolin monks in action, what are your thoughts on this wordage...
    • iron fist, drive (ie drive, inward hand rotation/drive of outside hand to drive both skis)
    • tiger palm/paw, drive release/control, (ie drive release/control, same hand, reverse/outward hand rotation of outside hand to release & control ski drive)

bawbawbel likes this.
  11. bawbawbel

• Cheena di (meaning “Chinese Punch”) is an ancient kung fu style in Sri Lanka. Only takes 15 years to master :(
    Yes.
    Moves with power from the core can be hard to recognize in a ski turn because only a small movement over a fraction of a second is effective provided it is really fast and timed correctly.
    The sound of a fast air punch surprised me.

12. KL.

KL. One of Us

outside/inside, drive/release, iron fist/tiger palm-paw :)

yes :) and longer if relaxed :)