Wide skis in Oz

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Annabuzzy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yes, I know, it's been discussed to death in the past. But also, yes, my past 11 days on snow in Oz this year, just like the first 13 days on snow in 2015, really have me questioning the value of wide skis (which I'd classify as 98mm and up, say) as a OSQ or daily driver for Oz.

So like I said I've just finished my first 11 days on snow. I'll probably only get another 6-8 days in, at least 2 of which will be short BC tours. And it has snowed maybe a grand total of 10cm across each of those 11 days. I've rarely ventured off the groomed runs, because theres not much ungroomed snow to be skied. And that snow which is there doesn't require a wide ski to ski it.

So while I absolutely love my new Brahma skis @88mm underfoot (and previously had firmly good thoughts about my Head Rev Pros @86mm underfoot) I'm struggling to see the value of an everyday wider ski. Different strokes for different folks I guess but there you go.

I just thought I'd "throw that out there".

cin and Born2ski like this.
  2. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I generally spend my time in Oz on ~90mm skis. One year I chose a 98mm ski as my daily driver and it was a mistake. But if you have multiple pairs, there's plenty of opportunities to go out on a 100mm ski but you will be disappointed if it's all you have.

100mm is great as a touring ski for Oz.

3. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Sure as hell want the week for 100mm+ was it Buzz!

After some 'edge bulging' I think I am after some new sticks. Piste skis only really, maybe drifting into all mountain.

Will stasrt a new thread.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  4. zac150

zac150 Dedicated Member

Glad to see you write this having brought 102mm off you as my touring ski (I mean this in a positive way). My day driver is the Vokle Kendo and I agree 90 under is perfect.

I know a few good skiers at Thredbo who have all gone to race / carve skis and use these as their choice ski. I must admit Id be tempted by something in the 70's underfoot. Just waiting for the right ski to show up.

5. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

There was a post recently that opened with a complaint about our hardpack and finished with "after spending 3 seasons in Japan"

Good cooks don't butter the glaze

LOL

6. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

My ski width selections for around the world would go something like this -

Australia - 70-90mm underfoot
    NZ - 70-90mm
    Europe (resort skiing) - 70-90mm
    Japan - 90-110mm
    USA/Canada - 70-90 or 90-110mm, depending on which resort and when.

I find anything up round the 100mm width is just overkill for groomers or light snowfalls (10cm). It makes turns slower, plus I find it puts more stress on your knees.

Seems some doctors agree with me. ;)

"With some snow finally falling on the East coast, and tons of it already blanketing the Rockies and the West, many skiers are headed to the slopes with big fat skis to help them zip through fresh snow. But a Montana researcher believes that wide or "fat" skis may be causing unexpected knee injuries, especially when they're used on groomed trails.

The fat ski phenomena started a few years ago when ski companies designed a wider platform to help skiers stay above soft snow and deep powder. These "freeride" or "backcountry" skis between 100 to 115 millimeters (4.5 inches) wide, instead of a normal width of 80 to 90 millimeters. (3 to 3.5 inches). While that extra inch may not seem like much, it creates greater torquing force on a skiers' knee, according to John Seifert, professor of sports physiology at Montana State University."

https://www.seeker.com/fat-skis-may-hurt-knees-1770681070.html

DidSurfNowSki and craighelo like this.
  7. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

80 is the sweet spot in australian resorts imo

8. Ralph_Plow

Ralph_Plow Active Member

I skied first week of school hols on 110mm. It was fine, crowds were so bad you couldn't go quick anyway.

I'd usually go 70-80 in Oz, but they were in the cupboard and waxed. It's not that critical of a decision IMO.

9. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hi,

No ski is good for all conditions. You have to think what is best for conditions you are likely to encounter, and not too bad in other conditions

Ignoring the snow depth and just thinking of the quality of the snow, think what you are likely to ski. For me, the reason I ski mid fat skis is nothing to do with powder or fresh snow, which is rare. It is because the fat crudbusters just eat up chopped, crusty, heavy, wet and springlike snow conditions that are very common. They let me have fun on springtime afternoons when everyone elses legs have given up and gone home for the day. They don't suck on the groomers the rest of the time.

Personally, looking at the weak points of skis, I'd rather have to ski a mid-fat on an iced up groomer, rather than a thin carver on chopped up heavy spring snow. That suits my style and what I like to do. My choice is absolutely nothing to do with skiing powder.

The brahmas are a great ski. Wait for spring, you will love them, if you get to ski them in those conditions :)

#9 robbo mcs, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    kirktab, Froff Life, hipo and 3 others like this.
  10. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Season Pass Gold

I'm running 86mm. Seems a sweet spot, for Oz and Nth America.

11. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

90mm my daily driver last few years , happy enough there for slush n crud.
    Maybe struggle a little on the boiler plate but that I struggle on narrow planks as well so....
    then up to 100 for the freshies and other lighter weights at 100mm for touring.

12. cin

cin Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I'm not sure what my skis are, think they are around mid 80's
    A lot better than those skinny straight things I leant on in the 80's funnily enough
    We are pretty spoilt these days

13. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

And rub your edges with a rag soaked in red wine to let others know where ya been!!!!!!!!!

14. kaegee

kaegee Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Spent the last 8 days in Thredbo and the daily is a 90mm 169 but, as l posted in their stoke thread was gifted an almost unused set of Fischer RC4s .66 u/f 175 . The slopes were quite firm especially Sunday . I had so much enjoyment over 3days will probably use them a lot for all frontside cruising with the fam . A definite rethink . Did ski 200 odd straights in the day tho . Do have 74s u/f and a 115 too.

Undies likes this.
  15. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries Active Member

I've demoed a lot of skis in the past seven years; it's my 'thing'. For mine, unless conditions are just right, skis approaching 100mm in the waist (or more) just leap and jump over our heavier snow piles and can be hard work.

Fanging around on a narrow, dedicated carving ski (a GS cheater maybe) is a hoot. We get so much bulletproof, refrozen, man-made, groomed corduroy that a narrow groomer ski is a good idea locally.

#15 linked_recoveries, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Can't beat em for hard snow fun. As do the Progressor's. So much grip and pop in shit/average oz / nz snow.

kaegee likes this.
  17. Pink

Pink Active Member

I get around on daggy, old 70mm waist skis which I love. I have hired and enjoyed much wider skis. I demoed skis at Hotham on the weekend, the snow was variable (dust on crust), and the demo skis I enjoyed the most on the day were 106mm waist! I was not expecting that. Don't buy?

18. BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I haven't skied in an Oz resort for a long time now except for a morning at Buller a few years ago. If I were to head down South again I would probably dust off my Head Monster 77's. Throw my Mantras in the car as well if I was expecting spring slush.

19. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey Active Member

How wide under foot are your skis @robbo mcs?

20. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

CG and I will ski on 100mm and 102mm tomorrow respectively.

W0nkey D0nkey likes this.
  21. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

95cm, Kastle FX 95hp. Really like the skis for pretty much all oz conditions. They are pretty good OS for me as well, no problem in light powder, although I'm pretty light myself so they probably float better for me than the average punter. I've done over 1 million vertical metres on them now over the last 2 years, and they are still skiing well. Originally I kept some of my other skis, narrow waisted, but ended up selling them because I never wanted to get them out of the locker.

W0nkey D0nkey and SMSkier like this.
  22. SMSkier

SMSkier Dedicated Member

I've got the same skis and have shared a few runs with Robbo locally and Canada. Agree with his comments.

That said, I have a few other sets and for early season groomers I ski 80mm underfoot. It's simply better for my old knees.

But once there is some decent fresh snow or later in the day in spring, it's the FX 95's as a good all round ski.

W0nkey D0nkey likes this.
  23. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey Active Member

Cheers guys, just looking to extend my quiver from 1 ski to 2...:)

SMSkier likes this.
  24. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I recently bought 95mm wide skis, as a combo one quiver ski for Aus/NZ and Japan. Trying to find a ski that was going to be perfect for northern AND southern hemispheres snow conditions is practically impossible, but I only wanted to travel around with one pair of skis.
    I found 95mm a little clumsy on the icy/rock hard groomers at Buller a few weeks ago, but as the snow softened up throughout the day and the groomers became a mix of crud and piles of softer snow they performed insanely better. That being said, if I was only buying a ski for Aus/NZ I would of bought a ski between 80mm - 90mm

craighelo and CarveMan like this.
  25. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Yeah I've found 95 a hair wide for Oz.

While we're at it I'm stoked with my Black Crows Orbs. I'll do a full review later, but a one liner is that they're possibly the best balance of on and off-piste performance I've found in a ~90mm ski for Australian Conditions.

nfip and Froff Life like this.
  26. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Whatever floats your boat.

I've skied skis in the 80-90 range in Aust that were absolute crap and made the experience annoying and I've skied skis 110-120 and had a ball.

Yes of course a narrower ski is more appropriate for Aust conditions but like all ski environments, conditions can change and it's good to have the use of a quiver to fit the bill. At the moment for piste blasting I'm using the Cassiar 95 and it's a blast.

27. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

I just ordered a 65mm ski for myself.

I had a hankering for a carver and now that I've got a bit more storage at Buller I got a 'morning ski' - 175cm Redster X9

28. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

LOL a "morning ski"
    Ice Skates?

nfip and Annabuzzy like this.
  29. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room

I could have picked up an older pair of Orbs for around $240 here in Japan.... I should have done that!!!!!!

CarveMan likes this.
  30. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Pretty much

LMB likes this.
  31. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

These are my mates skis. Close to the X9.
    [​IMG]

CarveMan likes this.
  32. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Hahah mine live in between them!

33. nachos supreme

nachos supreme Just Registered

I'm currently on the Black Crows Camox, the flatish tailed version, 2015/16 maybe? they're 98 underfoot and I find them plenty grippy on the early groomers,they do have a speed limit if the grooom is ridgy or whatever but I really like em as a daily driver. I'm 85kg and find the flex to be medium. Stiff underfoot but pretty progressive through the tips .

They're fine through chop and corn and a lot of fun in general. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to run the Orb or the newer Camox, According the people at Black Crows they are a more playful version with a bit more tail rocker...

CarveMan likes this.
  34. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I ended up buying the 2017 in the 181 length online after checking with CM if he was getting them in for this winter.
    I'm really impressed with them. Being fairly light I don't really need a super stiff ski. They're stable at speed, playful, have great grip on hardpack and motor through chop. Black Crows market them as an all mountain ski and after spending more time on them last week I think that description is pretty apt. Their current waist width is 97 mm.

CarveMan likes this.
  35. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Good to know. They weren't available for us to order as the 2017 models were all sold out and the 2018 hadn't been manufactured yet - I reckon we missed out and will definitely get them when we can.

36. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

All dem trips to Europe...................
    Shoulda got summa deez rippers.
    Fischer "The C-Line"
    https://www.fischersports.com/au_en/the-c-line-21605
    [​IMG]

37. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

crackson likes this.
  38. OlCol

OlCol New Member

The question is a bit silly. Everyone is different to a degree and we all like to ski different conditions. In Australia we see a wide selection of snow conditions, also height, weight age gender can all have implications on what is right for you. If you are mainly a piste skier then you would not use a powder ski. If you mainly ski off piste and between trees you don't want a heavy stiff skinny ski. I don't know anybody who takes 2 skis up the lift and changes half way down because the powder has turned to ice so we compromise based on what we ski most.
    This is why there are so many different types and sizes of ski.
    I like off piste, my ski in Oz has been 100 waste for last 4 years, they are fun light and easy, perfect for my 60 year old bod. They hold a good edge on groomers but as expected a bit slidey on ice. Spring corn and slush is easy.

kirktab and Zimboo like this.
  39. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room

I have the older 2014/15 Camox, and they are great in Japanese conditions. Great in powder, and are my daily driver.

40. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

I bloody should, their representation in this country is appalling!!!!!

crackson, kaegee and Froff Life like this.
  41. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

I demoed some Fischers on the weekend, the new importers are definitely looking to push them. I tried some Rangers and RC4 and liked what I saw.

Froff Life and kaegee like this.
  42. kaegee

kaegee Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

As per above post gunna use newly acquired RC4s a lot now ... like

Zimboo likes this.
  43. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

You didn't see/test Fischer when demo'ing this year in Europe.......in their home?
    Hope the "new" importers of a couple of years now push them CarveMan, because since they have had the distribution I have seen stuff all penetration anywhere.
    NZ distributor shits all over OZ.
    Aussies are always into a bargain and I can't fathom why Fischer are not the best value ski in Australia (full of tech and long history). I continue to buy them from OS (both US and Europe) every year for much much better prices than their equivalents.
    Why not here?
    Please don't tell me it's a US market here.................as you are now pushing French skis.
    I'm not in your game, I just don't get why........Apart from shit marketing and shit distribution?

44. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

It's a complicated answer to a complicated question. A short answer is that you can't stock everything, we have a very Euro-centric ski stock, with only K2 and Line being US based with 6 other euro brands so that's not the answer.

In our case you could probably put Elan and Dynastar and into the similar basket as Fischer for us - they are long standing brands with great reputations who make excellent skis but you have to draw a line somewhere. In terms of ski sales we are pretty up there with the amount of skis we sell per year, but going beyond 8 brands means we could be spreading too thin. I strongly believe that if you stock a brand, you do it properly which means a significant investment both in terms of marketing and capital.

Then of course there's the relationship side, that has a large bearing of selection as well - as it's a partnership you have to be a good fit.

From what we can gather, if we're not the largest online retailer of skis in Australia, we're pretty close, and we aspire to be a lot larger, so in time the brands will grow, but with our current range there isn't a lot of people whose problem we can't solve, brand loyalties aside.

45. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

There is no doubt as a retailer you must have 100% confidence in the manufacturer and distributor for your business. I have no doubt that Fischer makes outstanding products, so the poor performance in our country is due to shit representation and possible poor support from manufacturer?. Oh and shit graphics (which seems to be improving in recent years). LOL

46. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Graphics is definitely a part of it, but they are improving. The new AU, and the US reps have apparently been very vocal on this.

47. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

However its not just graphics, as the big stix line (prior to the rangers a few years ago where sick)...................I think I will send them a letter via snail mail to Europe........just to make sure it gets there.
    Edit: I sent a number of emails to Rojo last year without response.

#47 Zimboo, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  48. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I pretty much won't buy a ski unless I like the graphics. It's not like I choose based on graphics, but a "sale" will turn into a "non sale" if I don't like them. I'll just wait until a ski in that class I like has graphics I like, and ski my current pair until then.

49. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Totally agree.... I have only ever had custom made surfboards from the time I could pay for my own boards. This included the option to put what ever graphic I wanted on it (at a small price).

Annabuzzy likes this.
  50. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

You wanna see how the Womens Nordica Astrals have sold this year. So pretty. Flown out the door.