Wide skis in Oz

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Annabuzzy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

A Custom surfboard (shaped to specification with graphics) takes about 6 weeks on average in Australia for a punter.
    It's impossible for Euro ski manufacturers to meet custom orders here in the same time but they should consider different graphics for the same ski. ie half a dozen different graphics for os distribution. IMO
    Digital top sheet graphics is shit easy these days.

#51 Zimboo, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. Rush

Rush Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I'm been on Head Monster 78s in Australia since 2008 and I've never felt I needed 'more ski'.

Born2ski likes this.
  3. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Yep, I thought I didn't need another glass of wine till a minute ago....................but I did. LOL

4. BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

My favourite pair of skis that I've used for the last 5 years are definitely the ugliest but in this case price trumped aesthetics. It's the topsheets that grab my attention initially and then I look into fitness for purpose and price.
    Last week I purchased another pair of skis online that I just don't need but they looked so good and were priced so well that I thought bugger it, I'll hang em on the wall if they don't work out.
    Wider skis, like surf/snow boards are such a great platform for art.

#54 BoofHead, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    SkiMountaineer and Annabuzzy like this.
  5. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

A great ski to be sure.(nice graphics as well IMO). I clocked up over 80 odd days on my im77s in Canada, Oz, NZ, and Japan.
    Worth stuff all to sell so I've kept mine to lend out to mates. Not much of a market for used skinny skis up here in Qld.

6. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

#56 Zimboo, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  7. PG2736

PG2736 Active Member

Skied on the new Volkl 98's today. Wow what a ski! Think will be adding a pair of these to the quiver as a matter of urgency!

Sydlouise likes this.
  8. person s

person s Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

yep, they're great - I borrowed some about a decade ago and it felt like they improved my skiing
    I tried some skis the other day at Perisher
    I liked one pair more than the others because they were the most like my current 12-year-old skis - wider but still only 80 underfoot
    when the sales start, I might get some

9. hipo

hipo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

tried out the K2 Pinnicle 95 in 184 length during the Perisher demo day. Was interested to see what impact the extra width would have on the hard pack/ crusty ice conditions versus the benefit on some wind blown staches. First couple of short runs were a little tentative while I sorted out the break and accelerator but once that was sorted it was all jump in the front seat and push leaving trenches on the hard pack, floating in the staches and totally responsive in the chopped up.
    On the icy hard pack, you could hold an edge but I would be on another ski if the mountain was all ice(or in the bar).
    Overall, found no difference finding the edges on hardpack compared to my existing 86 underfoot but on the loose stuff they were very nice even in the bumps feeling very secure, responsive yet somehow giving a feeling of confidence and calmness to just keep pushing harder from the front seat.

crackson likes this.
  10. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

Fairly light as well. I think this ski would make a great all rounder and option for those folk that only want one ski. A mate of my mates was thinking about a pair but he got a great deal on a pair of 17 Mantras with barons. I'm replacing the Barons with Kingpins for him. I also like what I'm reading about the 100eights.

#60 BoofHead, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  11. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

112mm Moments, all day. Best arvo slush ski you will ever ski.

Boom.

Rick Ross Da Boss and OlCol like this.
  12. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Depends on total skier weight. 90mm is plenty of float for a greyhound like me.

If I was 100kg with gear on, I would need a 110mm for same float.

1skier to 1.1/1.2waist is better than a specific waist size.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  13. OlCol

OlCol New Member

It depends also on ski flex and length. I am 170cm, 70 kg and ski 100 waist by 171 long, and the skis are flexible.

14. PG2736

PG2736 Active Member

I went out on my 2017 Brahma's today and after skiing the 90eights have decided to sell them. They are a great ski but now that i am a lot lighter they don't suit me as well anymore.

Sydlouise likes this.
  15. MickM

MickM Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Now have 3 days on the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI and absolutely love them. I will admit I was firmly in the "don't need anything wider than 75 in Oz" camp, but how wrong I was.

They were amazing in the fresh snow. Super stable and just as fast as the carvers I was on. Put them on edge and they rip.

I swapped back to my 72mm carvers (my mate skis them now and we have same boot size!) and couldn't swap back quick enough. Around 90mm could the perfect ski for Oz.

Froff Life and crackson like this.
  16. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

How old are the 72's (days on snow)?

17. MickM

MickM Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Probably about 40 days. They are Blizzard G Force G Pro, cracking ski (2011 I think)

18. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Fair enough...........as a older 70-75mm ski maybe would not be a fair comparison. All good.

MickM likes this.
  19. MickM

MickM Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Still a great ski, but the 90mm really smooths out the crud and just better in fresh. Rocker helps in crud.

crackson likes this.
  20. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Decided this in 2008.

And I'm even more in love with the Black Crows Orb.

Hell of a ski.

MickM likes this.
  21. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

You sound like my Brazilian mate who had the gift of keeping multiple lovers happy. LOL

22. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I 100% agree that the 80-90mm range is perfect as an all mountain one ski quiver or daily driver for Oz.

But...

...I also reckon that on particularly firm mornings there's still a role for a narrower carver (say 70mm and under). As much as I love my 88mm Brahmas including for carving hard snow, there's been at least one day and probably more where I wished I had my circa 66mm underfoot carvers with me (I'd left them at home).

kaegee likes this.
  23. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Yes I definitely agree. I've had a bit of a storage issue the last couple of seasons, which is now resolved so I got me a carver. I've generally had one on the quiver, they last ages as I don't use them that much but they serve a purpose.

But today was a perfect example of a 90mm ski being an ideal Oz all-mountain ski.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  24. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Storage.......bullshit!!!
    You can take whatever ski you want up the mountain.
    Carvers are always cool in Aus/NZ.......just wasn't over recent years. :p

25. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room

It's funny how these attitudes change.... Ski tech changes, and the 90-95mm skis of 10 years ago are VERY different to 90-95mm of today. And probably the view that they are no good for Aussie conditions is formed by experience of trying those older skis years ago, when perhaps they were not so good!!

Annabuzzy likes this.
  26. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Marketing.............using "change as better".
    New tech provides big improvement in performance however this is relevant to area of use and those that can use it.

#76 Zimboo, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  27. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Active Member

Do you know if these have changed from the old ones? I'm riding the 2012's and they're my favourite ski, but they are getting beyond repairable after various misadventures involving hidden rocks, jugs of beer and gravel disguised as snow.

Which is on topic because my everyday go to is the reasonably wide 98mm Mantra. I have 85mm Armada Pipecleaners and El Reys, 94mm Volkl V werks and have sold off 90mm K2 misadventures and 90mm Blizzard Bushwackers and I've never enjoyed a day on any of them more than the Mantras, no matter what snow/ice conditions Perisher has to offer. I do regret selling a pair of Kendos before I ever got to try them (they arrived in the mail when I broke my leg so I didn't even want to look at them).

I have been keen to try a narrower carving style ski, just keeping my eye out for an ex-rental or second hand bargain. Recovering from a major broken leg/knee I'm sure the Mantras were a really bad choice for my return to skiing and I experimented a bit but since I've spent so many days on them the comfort/familiarity factor outweighed the likely additional knee strain. I wanted to do the demo day but that was when I could only manage an hour or two a day so would have been wasted on me. I hope they do another one because I'm recovering fast now and want to try out some new stuff to diversify the collection.

#77 Sydlouise, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017