woonona
Wild.
IMG_20200810_150732_236.jpg

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Warra has risen 0.8 m in 12 hours and plenty more upstream. Wingecarribee at Greenstead about to peak. Catchment saturated and Wollondillly level should only fall slowly. PS blue graph is faulty but red OK
rscf_org212270.plot.png
This is the river height without that erroneous 1000m spike. Still on its way up but probably reach its peak in the next few hours you would assume

upload_2020-8-10_15-29-10.png

Reactions: warrie

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Prayers have been answered we were really staring down the barrel in January, 1 or 2 events could take us to most Sydney Catchment area storages spilling. NE NSW storages will see a significant boost soon enough as well with the upcoming event, along with a strong spring rainy season on the cards for them.

On the note of heaps of rain, mozzies are out and about. How are they out in August?

Reactions: kathrynsview

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
This is the river height without that erroneous 1000m spike. Still on its way up but probably reach its peak in the next few hours you would assume

upload_2020-8-10_15-29-10.png
Where did you get the graph - Water NSW, cos I can't get it? It has risen a metre in the last 12 hours. Surely it will spill ,but the authorities wait till its at almost FSL then dump a whole lot out at once an exacerbate any flooding. Nepean Dam is 0.7 m over and the flow has nearly hit Penrith.Still no warnings from BoM. There should be a pre release via the long forgotten 50 MW power station which will discharge 64 cumecs. Wait, that's just a blip compared to Jooriland which is at 130 GL /day or 1500 cumecs!!!
Should spill tomorrow early pm

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Where did you get the graph - Water NSW, cos I can't get it? It has risen a metre in the last 12 hours. Surely it will spill ,but the authorities wait till its at almost FSL then dump a whole lot out at once an exacerbate any flooding. Nepean Dam is 0.7 m over and the flow has nearly hit Penrith.Still no warnings from BoM. There should be a pre release via the long forgotten 50 MW power station which will discharge 64 cumecs. Wait, that's just a blip compared to Jooriland which is at 130 GL /day or 1500 cumecs!!!
I was bored this afternoon so went and took the data off the BOM website and plotted it myself in Excel (with the 1000m data point removed of course)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Risky stuff in that proposition. Gambling with water supply and legal responsibilities water supply vs flood vs power supply contracts and regulatory obligations. Tough decisions, anybody game to play?

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yep. Some catchments extraordinary above forecast, and others just ordinary. Not easy for authorities to judge where gets impacted based on forecasts. Also difficult for those where the impacts occur based on actual rainfall.
my obs also a LOT of flotsam from bushfires getting transported so damage magnified above and beyond hydraulic pressures.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
my obs also a LOT of flotsam from bushfires getting transported so damage magnified above and beyond hydraulic pressures.
Yeah I agree. Sequences of extremes, even if not extreme but at least opposite like fire/flood, or drought/flood can be worse than single events either side of dry/wet.

Reactions: nfip

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
South Coast struggling big time after the fires.
to say the very least.
Not much holding the ground together as we all can appreciate.
Water has a lot of influence on landslides. I am aware of many examples of slips in wet weather, not many in dry weather except earthquakes.

Reactions: malas1
I ended up measuring 37 mms out of the event here at Ellalong, sw of Cessnock,most fell this morning out of very heavy rain periods from the se.The ground was already soggy from the last event so just 37 mms run all the creeks around here and put a small flood in the near by Ellalong lagoon again,There looks like another possible rain event and maybe ECL next week.

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Risky stuff in that proposition. Gambling with water supply and legal responsibilities water supply vs flood vs power supply contracts and regulatory obligations. Tough decisions, anybody game to play?
We may partly recall the Wivenhoe spill/flood fiasco in 2011 and the blame game that was played.

Reactions: Flowin

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Warragamba a bit different to Wivenhoe as its water storage only (not flood mitigation) and i'm pretty sure it has to spill at 100%. Wivenhoe and plenty others have flood mitigation capacity inbuilt and can reach well over 100% when used

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Well that call was a bit premature. Still plenty of inflow though and of course the weeks events are no longer published by Water NSW thanks to some bureaucrat. All we have is the June report as the latest info. Graph below for perusal.
IDN60233.567099.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AshestoAshes

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Warragamba a bit different to Wivenhoe as its water storage only (not flood mitigation) and i'm pretty sure it has to spill at 100%. Wivenhoe and plenty others have flood mitigation capacity inbuilt and can reach well over 100% when used
Just looked at Wivenhoe and built to take 225%. Hawkesbury just getting a mild flush - only up 1.5 m at Castlereagh but the system is primed if we get ECL #4 along the south coast.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Good to see some others getting som e love. First decent inflow to Wyangla for ages. Its jumped about 20% from this one. Burrendong up into the 30's now. Its all primed. One more 50mm event could be all that is needed for the catchmentsto suddenly spill their guts and fill some dams properly.

Reactions: AshestoAshes

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Here’s the total rainfall over NSW for the week ended 9:00 today. This will have been almost entirely owing to this event:

While the focus was on the South Coast and hinterland, the whole State (plus parts of Qld, SA and Victoria) got something. About half of NSW got falls of 25 mm or more, with 50 mm plus over much of the South East of the State and the ACT.

AshestoAshes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Voyager Point NSW
Wow Warragamba at 95.8%, might inch up a bit in the coming days given the gradient. Nepean Dam has reached the offical 100%. Kind of funny that we're at Level 1 water restrictions, but long term will have to be more water saving from me because we'll see a price rise if the dam drops below 60% again.

Good video from the SES, it will flood again it's a matter of when. Plus add all the development that we've got there since 1990.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Wow Warragamba at 95.8%, might inch up a bit in the coming days given the gradient. Nepean Dam has reached the offical 100%. Kind of funny that we're at Level 1 water restrictions, but long term will have to be more water saving from me because we'll see a price rise if the dam drops below 60% again.

Good video from the SES, it will flood again it's a matter of when. Plus add all the development that we've got there since 1990.

Begs the question, which idiots allowed development all over the flood plains? Oh wait...........

Longys

Hard Yards
Jul 9, 2019
Glenmore Park
Yes it is not for the purpose of flood mitigation, but the sneaky buggers are doing minor releases whilst still maintaining level 1 water restrictions.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass