1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Wild horse removal Bogong High Plains

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Chaeron, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

It is legal for anyone to butcher and consume an animal on the property it was killed on without any sort of permit or licensing. Once the carcass or butchered posts of the animal leave the property all sorts of rules and licensing are ment to be followed.

2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Makes a lot of sense. With Australia's critical biosecurity standards, Dad is getting too old to handle stock and wanted to sell his 4 cattle. With paddock to plate tracking nowadays he is battling thru mind blowing red tape! Perhaps he would be better off getting in the local butcher???? Not sure if same rules would apply to feral animals; one would hope not?

3. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

On a bit of errant Googling, it looks like the Vic govt changed the rules last year to allow wild deer to be harvested for commercial purposes - but the number of people who meet the criteria for this seems quite slim:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-22/victoria-wild-deer-can-now-be-harvested-for-eating/10405162

As far as I am aware, the existing regs for recreational hunters remain - animals you shoot can only be processed for "personal consumption only". Whether that means that consumption is restricted to only the person who took the animal, or their immediate family, or..... well, it's not perfectly clear, however the relevant fact sheet include the snippet that you cannot give away meat from a kill if you are a recreational hunter. http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/__data/as...me-Meat-Processing-Fact-Sheet-19-Oct-2018.pdf

Jacko4650 likes this.
  4. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We take care of our own venison on the property and it is not too difficult. The back of a ute works well as a butcher's table to dress it down but we do hang them in the shed to skin and set overnight. We also buy the cheap paint drop sheets from Bunnings and spread that over the back of the ute to put the clean meat on. It could be done in the field also. Depending on the shot you usually get all four legs, which are not difficult to cut off and then you take the backstraps. No gutting required but the legs still have the skin on. That is taken off back at camp. If you gut the animal then you can get to the tender loins, which are the best bit. A mobile butcher in East Gippsland runs courses on how to process deer. He is very good. Because it is a game meat then you can (as long as you are game licenced) move meat from where you shoot it to your home without problems. Butchering on your own property can be restricted by some councils but that is usually only in more built up areas.

5. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Nice summary, thanks :)

6. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

This is why I am thinking of a shared ownership "hunting lodge" with what is essentially a processing shed and a hunting vehicle. I have no need to a ute or similar vehicle in day-to-day, as I generally cycle the 20kms from home to work and back - at present my wife and I share her Hyundai Getz! LOL

My "vision" is something along the lines of bringing an esky or two to the "lodge", grab the hunting vehicle and go out, return with field dressed carcass, butcher into basic cuts (shanks, ribs, shoulder, hind, backstrap, tenderloin), vacseal, label, chill in chest freezer, take home in esky with ice.

Possible additional stuff would be mincing of meat, processing of sausages etc and curing of jerky.

For something like that, the property would need to be within a 4 hour drive of Melb CBD for food safety, or I would need to replace the esky with a portable fridge.

Even better would be if the building was secure enough to be able to have gun safes on site - avoid transportation of rifles from home, and storage at home.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  7. Xplora

You may need a bigger car. Can you fit 2 eskies into a Getz? A 50 litre car fridge will take a small deer cut up but only just. If you want ribs then you have to gut and don't bother taking ribs from anything that has dark meat. The young ribs are better than pork. We find garden loppers good for cutting bone like ribs. A bucket of water with disinfectant is handy as well. Knives go in that when not in use. Another bucket for hand washing. Young Sambar meat is like veal in colour and just as tender. Older meat is dark and more suitable for small goods although the backstraps and tenderloins can be good. Young meat does not need hanging and can be frozen straight away but older meat may need to be kept between zero and 4 degrees for a week or so. This allows the enzymes to break down the meat a bit. After 10 days this action is pretty much over. Do no chill meat to below freezing if you intend to let the enzymes do their job.

Although we try to take younger deer, sometimes it happens we get something older but that is not bad either as then we get lots of mince which is great for spag bol or lasagne. Last winter we made a cold cured salami which was great and we always make sausages or cabana. Had some young venison rump last night which was cut thin and pounded out. Grated goat cheese, sage leaf and asparagus wrapped up then wrapped again with a parma ham. In the oven for 20mins and a garlic cream sauce. Can do a similar thing with a Marsala sauce.

Processing your own meat is good fun. We still need to buy a slicer for small goods and have smoked many cuts. Hygiene is very important as is a couple of good knives. There is some considerable investment in the whole thing, even if you share the costs with others. It is not a cost effective operation unless you do it like we can.

8. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

What about a naming convention for said venison produce?
    ...East Gippsland jerky has a ring to it?

...perhaps Jindy Jerky /Jindivik Jerky rolls off the tongue better?

...Jugangal Jerky - has substance and style!!

9. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

...or ?

How about Benambra Brumby Burgers?? ( ;-/)

Sub for Bombala if north o' wall??

Charlie and Chaeron like this.
  10. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

We already need a bigger car, but have been putting off the purchase as it hasn't been essential. With Young Mr now just over 3, and a second one planned, I am contemplating a 2020 Outback as a family/adventure/snow/travel vehicle, and upsizing the Getz to a Skoda Scala or something for a manageable daily driver for my wife.

On the self-sufficiency front, without "selling" meat, I have a number of friends who would be eager to come with me for a weekend, take home a side of venison that they assisted in taking down, and pitch in to cover expenses - especially a few in the medieval re-creation society side of things. (More than a few of them would probably fancy the skins as well)

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hey!
    Xplora Burgers from Mt Wills and Shannonvale Precinct!

nezumi and snowgum like this.
  12. Xplora

I can confirm BHP part of the Alpine Nat Park will be closed from Monday to Friday next week (6-10 May) for aerial shooting operations. It may be extended to include Monday 13th if weather turns bad.This also includes Mt. Bogong and Mt Feathertop and all approaches.

13. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

GS and Chaeron like this.
  14. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Why aren't they "Horseburgers" ??

Jacko4650 likes this.
  15. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Well, it turns out that what I was thinking of does exist, to a certain extent - I just had to do a little digging.

The SSAA has a sub-club called the Deerstalkers. Apparently they don't allow hunting with dogs, and have a property out at Woods Point, so a good start. I'll have to see how they are in person, but there is potential there.
    http://www.deerstalkers.com.au/

16. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yum.
    Don't be surprised to get a knock on your door next Flyfishing trip!!
    I'll follow my nose....

17. Xplora

Searching for info regarding the Supreme Court injunction and I came across this. https://chuffed.org/project/fightin...NPmUpxgCYm3gjGKihiY0y-YR5Vea9ZfPSMTWlTZKN_OwE

As of this post they have only raised $879 of a proposed $100K with 37 days to go. The Australian Brumby Alliance, which puts together all those little interest groups, has just over 200 followers. I think this shows the depth of their argument and commitment. The little stallion in the banner photo looks like the fellow hanging around Nelse with the mares which look more like big stock horses and not BHP ferals. When you are out and about this winter on BHP, please remember to take photos and note locations of mobs. Most will drop down lower when the snow hits so you may see them on your approach. If you post it here I can make sure those in charge of the program get the information or I can provide the details for you to send it direct (PM me that).

And while you are at it, check out this awesome photo https://www.austdeer.com.au/@news/2019/04/12/1374438/aerial-culling-raises-questions
    The ADA will do all they can to prevent any effective method of culling deer. All they want is to put recreational hunters into National Parks. Something I learnt recently is that the scent of a dog will stop small marsuipals from crossing that path. That could mean no water or no mating. I agree that hound hunting is more effective than normal stalking but lets see how this trial goes before we bag it.

18. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

We need some military grade VapoDrones. Of course they work better if the Deer have a mobile phone.

Telemark Phat and Undies like this.
  19. Xplora

Weather stop on the shoot. Recommencing Wed 15th to Friday 17th inclusive. Park is open until then.

skifree and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  20. Xplora

Actually heard the helicopter yesterday over the ridge to our north and then the sound of a semi auto pumping away.

Chaeron and Pelm1 like this.
  21. Xplora

Just received information regarding the aerial deer shoot. Here are the guts of it from the email.

Hi,

Parks Victoria completed the second stage of the deer aerial shooting trial in the Alpine National Park on Thursday 16th May.

One hundred and thirty five deer were shot by professional aerial marksman in just over 18 hours of aerial shooting time. This adds to the 119 deer that were shot in the first stage of the trial in October, equating to a deer approximately every 8 minutes over the course of the trial.

The recent operation focused on the isolated, high elevation parts of the park around Mt Bogong and the Bogong High Plains. These areas contain sensitive alpine communities with high conservation value that are very difficult to access on foot.

During both operations the air crew noticed significant track networks and large wallows that had been formed by deer.

The aerial trial forms part of the broader deer control trial that Parks Victoria commenced in 2015, which has also involved ground shooting operations utilising the expertise of contractors and volunteer shooters from the Australian Deer Association and the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia. The aim of the trial is to determine the most efficient, cost effective and humane methods of managing deer in order to protect sensitive alpine habitats, and the unique wildlife and plants that occur in them. Parks Victoria will use the results of the trial to determine the optimal combination of deer control approaches that can be applied in future management programs.

Parks Victoria would like to thank visitors and local communities for their understanding regarding the park closures that were put in place during this important park management operation.

22. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I like their approach of looking for the right mix of control methods rather than choosing a one size fits all answer.

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  23. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

We already know that helicopter control is the most cost effective and humane control method.

skifree and Chaeron like this.
  24. Xplora

It is effective for deer in the open areas and suspect the same for horses but it is not cheap. The advantage is a large number culled in a short time. This has a greater affect on population control than picking up a couple every other month. It also has the advantage of covering a larger footprint. Horses and deer both inhabit heavily timbered areas in large numbers so other methods will have be used. Ground shooting has also proved to be ineffective for deer in these areas so what is the next step?

skifree likes this.
  25. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Great, now to extend it to the feral horses

skifree likes this.
  26. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Do more of it across a larger area.

The aerial culling / extermination attempt for water buffalo in the NT was originally planned as a 10 year program.

currawong likes this.