1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Wild horse removal Bogong High Plains

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Chaeron, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Perhaos we need some Americans and their guns!
    They are proficient in massacres!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Except they aren’t shooting their feral horses either & it’s a monster problem.

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Those Americans shoot at anything.....we just need a few parties of them constantly on the Highplains with pictures of horses without riders!

We certainly don’t want monsters up there too!:whistle:

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I saw quite a few feral horses on the loose near Mt. Hotham airport or thereabouts when I was driving from J.B. Plain to Omeo last month on the Great Alpine Road. Those f*ckers were right nonchalant and all . Shoot the lot of them and make them into Bihari kebab.

5. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You first with the kebab. Oops, forgot you were vegetarian. Those horses have been around the Hotham airport for many years but the management plan extends to removal of horses almost to (maybe even including) there. They are very quiet and I am surprised nobody has just thrown a rope around them. Just waiting for the Federal court to make a decision.

I tried posting some comment on the ABA Facebook page but it was deleted each time. Their pages are full of flawed stats and pseudo science. Apparently 84% of Victorians do not want the BHP or Barmah forest horses removed. Not sure how they surveyed enough to get any sort of figure. I would love to have one of these bleeding hearts get on this forum and debate (respectfully).

6. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

84% of horse owners surveyed...

7. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I would have been in the 16% of horse owners who said get rid of them but you would actually be surprised how many horse owners do not want ferals running free. I see it as a danger when I ride my own horse in their territory and I know someone who lost two mares on BHP to ferals. In Jan 2003 (when the fires started) I met a stockman tending the last of the cattle who showed me the teeth marks in his saddle from a feral stallion. Think you are right though, survey done through a member base and then some algorithm applied.

Undies likes this.