1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Wild horse removal Bogong High Plains

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Chaeron, Jan 22, 2018.

1. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Horsey people are horsey people
    Trying to convince them a little inbred horse running wild in the Australian bush isn't worth more than last year's Melbourne Cup winner is futile
    It's a bit like perfectly reasonable ordinary people who for some reason become servile numpties when any mention of royalty or Princess Diana is made
    There is no logic, so it's important for the health of our highlands that the emotion is ignored by government and we get on with removing hooves from our parks

2. neilmny

neilmny One of Us

This is true MisterM, there's even people who like cats. Why would anyone want a parasitic furball maker that only wants a free feed. There's all sorts out there.

dawooduck, MisterMxyzptlk and Seth like this.
  3. Ultrasteez

Ultrasteez A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I’d like to see the NPs opened up a little for hunters to clean up some of the invasive species such as Brumbies, pigs and deer.

I’m glad we are finally dealing with the brumbies.

4. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I would consider myself a horsey person. It is not all of us who think this way and I have many horsey friends who think the same as me. Just now I am providing reasoned debate to a friend who has respect for what I say and is open to listen. She has a great deal of respect in the horse fraternity so if she changes her view then others may listen to her.
    Another thing to consider is 98% of RR members are female. The demographic in all these groups is largely the same. Many are middle aged and single again. Good opportunity for a single bloke. Lots of these caught up in romantic ideas about horses and maybe because their horses have been a more reliable companion than their menfolk. That is not an opportunity for people to turn that into something dirty.

5. TheFake

TheFake One of Us

You're forgetting the golden rule though Xplora. Don't stick your dick in crazy.

Wally likes this.
  6. Xplora

Been discussed before and shown not to work. NPs in Vic have open areas for hunting deer and it is not doing anything. What is now working better is government controlled shooting programs which utilises pro shooter and recreational in a controlled manner. For the most part, you are more likely to be shot by another hunter if you are our hunting rather than bushwalking but opening NPs to all hunters would make things quite unsafe.

7. Xplora

I know many of these people very well. Not all crazy but you would always run second to their horse.

dawooduck, Rimey and Chaeron like this.
  8. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It's filed under "opinion" rather than a factual report.

Chaeron likes this.
  9. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Horses and Oz culture - in first settlement- Albury/Wodonga had horse races and a New Year’s Cup before it had a church or a magistrate’s court....

And in current times - look at Victorian State Government support for the entertainment industry in pandemic times- the largest percentage of funds goes to the horse racing industry...

Besides the self-evident and apparently one-sided sentimentalism for the brumbies in Rule’s article I find the tone most telling- potentially smart journalism- nostalgia for an irretrievable time of past glory, combined with an inevitability for the end of horses on the High Plains,

Interestingly too, Rule doesn’t seem to contest the need or rationale’ for the cull - leaving that side of things untouched.

Neither does he explore the self-evident political plays or neccesary commercial self-interest of the key players. So it’s a human interest story for the weekend, not a supportive polemic.

Ironically it leaves these blokes looking like the odd curiosities they are - out of step with reality and facing the inevitable demise of an outmoded fable they’re desperately clinging to out of self-interest in the face of insurmountable opposition.

No young bloods with rippling muscle, but old blokes in hospital beds. No glorious stallions, but little inbreds. The Supreme Court and the State Government vs. some old blokes. Rule has effectively said the writing’s on the wall...

10. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

All just waiting for Jim Craig to sweep them off their feet?

Chaeron and MisterMxyzptlk like this.
  11. Xplora

Well thought and deserves an response more than just a like.

12. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I grew up around racehorse stables and horses
    My Uncle broke brumbies (terrible term)from the high country, generations of family before them traded them
    But interestingly very very little romance attached to them in my family
    I note @Xplora response and yes, I was aiming my barbs at the very group defined
    I was interested to see the gender makeup of the Save the Brumby campaign
    There's those that see brumbies as a menace and infestation, and those that think princess Di's death was just another road stat- and then everyone else

#1012 MisterMxyzptlk, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Edgecrusher and Chaeron like this.
  13. Hully

Hully One of Us

I just watched the ABC news story covering Maguire, Tilley et al and the feral horse story. Interesting that the newsreader and reporter referred to them as 'feral horses' and only the Maguires and Tilley referred to them as brumbies. Also confirmed that they retrieved no horses during the muster.

14. zapruda

zapruda One of Us

Deluded...

skifree likes this.
  15. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Makes Del Preston look sane.

“When did you become a nut bar?”

16. Xplora

They found 25 or 30. According to old Ron that would be nearly all of them.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I am the well trained slave of a cat and happy about it. Humans are highly illogical as SPOCK once observed.
    See my cat. She is CUTE!!

neilmny likes this.
  18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Vermin FAWLTY!

19. zapruda

zapruda One of Us

Cochran is just as much of a grub as this fool. Let’s hope their egos create a cluster**** of a situation.

Seth likes this.
  20. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

One ponders why he needs to sign affidavits?

Ultrasteez likes this.
  21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Only drug dealers have meetings in fast food outlet car parks!

Seth, Ultrasteez and Undies like this.
  22. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

because it makes him sound important?

i wonder if they are factually correct?

23. skifree

My experience is (very limited) any need to sign affidavits is generally not good.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  24. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

If he is involved in court proceedings he is swearing affidavits.

skifree likes this.
  25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Maybe the chopper pilot from the feral horse cull has been made an offer he cannot refuse and is sleeping with the fishes now?.

#1025 Mister Tee on XC Skis, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  26. Chaeron

27. zapruda

zapruda One of Us

Lots of in-fighting and the fool is digging himself a nice hole.

28. zapruda

zapruda One of Us

29. zapruda

zapruda One of Us

30. Chaeron

It is difficult for a man who sets himself up against the law to appeal to the courts....

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

There is something in the water supply out in the Bundarra river valley. It makes everyone cantankerous and think they live in a film( a story of fiction) made about whiteys on horses having a more valuable and ancient culture than the indigenous Australians do. Horse rustling pardners !

#1031 Mister Tee on XC Skis, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    GS, dawooduck, Fozzie Bear and 2 others like this.
  32. Xplora

They talk in Omeo about something in the Bundara water. I lived there for 6 months so maybe I am affected also. Please don't take this as having a go but it doesn't really have anything to do with indigenous heritage. It is about the disenfranchised pioneer families of which Maguire is not but pretends to be. I now know his real surname but will leave that for now.

Without offering any word of acceptance, I would like for people to understand how people in the bush feel pushed around by unsympathetic governments. People want to put food on their table and enjoy life but opportunities to earn money in the bush are hard. Gold mining raped the landscape and then the loggers came along doing the same. Cattlemen enjoyed lush pasture at little cost and prospered. Many of the tracks we enjoy today were opened up by miners, loggers and cattlemen. Please don't forget that. Track 107 near us is the number of the old mining track that ran from Mt Wills to Mt Hotham which many enjoy walking every year.

These people now live nostalgically and they are still can remember the days when they had freedom to roam. Just imagine for a moment if the thing you loved to do or that which provided you income was ripped away by the bureaucrats. Plenty of people on this forum have had a whinge about Parks before. Most people think from a selfish perspective. Look at how much comment there has been from people who are prepared to break the COVID19 restrictions to go skiing.

Understanding why people think the way they do or believe something is the first step to finding common ground or compromise. To be honest, I think if a muster could be arranged on BHP which was effective, caused little stress to the horses and they could be re-homed then everyone would win. Running after horses on another horse is not effective. The feral horses will tire quicker than a fit stockhorse but you will only be able to catch one or two. Large groups of people on foot is a better tool.

Anyway, maybe not the response expected from me but that is my other side. Also heard a chopper this afternoon. Maybe a news chopper. RR are still saying Parks are going to helicopter cull. Maybe there will be some comment.

currawong, skifree, Myazma and 6 others like this.
  33. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I always thought the 600 managed herd in the north end of the park was a good compromise deal that could have been implemented and managed by some of the disenfranchised cohort.

Alas, all or nothing and here we are.

teletripper, Myazma and zapruda like this.
  34. dawooduck

I totally understand the "brumby running" history and think a pretty good compromise could be worked out this side of the range if you removed the Layton/Cochrane/McGuire extremists from the equation.

Corryong festival could be supplemented by a Yaouk Stampede but the all or nothing approach and the infighting desire to control the future is really messing up any progress.

Barilaro really fcked things this side.

teletripper, currawong, GS and 2 others like this.
  35. Pelm1

Pelm1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

From the Rural Resistance facebook page...

Phil Maguireto Rural Resistance
    1 hr ·

I am stepping away from Rural Resistance and from any leadership role in the brumby battle.

I will still be available for the strategic advice if required but developments today have meant I am not in a position to lead.

I am no cleanskin as most of you have guessed but I'm also no outlaw. I consider myself a normal decent Australian. I don't have any kind of criminal record.

However, I am about to be put on public trial for things I have said and also allegedly said.

A new age gay New Zealand journalist by the name of Ricky French has developed an obsession with me and has trawled back more than 40 years to discover almost every negative thing I have ever said or written.

He called me today and his first words were to accuse me of being a radical right wing activist. Apparently one acquires that tag by being critical of homosexuals and calling them poofters.

I suppose I'm in need of leftist re-education. Too bad. I won't be having it. [​IMG]:)

French has gone to incredible lengths to do a job on me and to discredit our fight. I will not allow him to do that.

If in fact I had said all these things in the context French intends to present them I might be seen as a bad fellow. But context changes many things. For example French alleges that I said homosexuals shouldn't be in public life. Yes, I did say that.

But it was in response to the heinous abortion legislation passed by NSW last year, introduced by a gay MP, which provides for viable babies to be killed in their mother's wombs right up to the moment of birth.

So context is always important and it is completely lacking in everything French intends to write about me.

I bowed away from public life years ago and I never expected to end up the leader of this fight. Since I left public life and having witnessed the downward trend of Australian society I haven't cared greatly for niceties of civilised discourse, because frankly a lot of the time I'm not dealing with civilised people like you folk.

And that is why French is able to exercise a little power. I have found myself in a position I never expected to be in. If I had had known I would have placed a tight rein on myself. But frankly I was almost beyond caring anymore.

It was the fires of this summer and the plight of the brumbies that woke me up.

I have never sought public office because I have never wanted to wield power over anyone. I just believe in justice and I believe everyone is entitled to it.

French tells me I am in a position of enormous influence. I say I never sought it and I don't want it. I just want my country back and my culture and heritage protected and respected.

Everything I've said and written is probably born of the bush and expressed in a way far too rough and coarse for the delicate feelings of the delicate Ricky French.

But, that's Ricky's problem, not mine. He also accused me of referring to black Africans as "****s." That wasn't me. And I don't think that. I just think that any criminals of any race that are not Australian citizens and commit jailable offence should be deported.

Finally, there will be a new leader for Rural Resistance and any remaining monies will be transferred to him/her. I am not retiring from the fight, just from a leadership position.

French, when he called me, claimed to be a journalist for The Australian. He's not. He's a freelancer who sells stories and he obviously has a hatred of brumbies.

It might be time I trawled through his history.

currawong, Chaeron and zapruda like this.
  36. Chaeron

I sense a Channel 9 Docudrama...might have to buy the Weekend Australian on Saturday- there’s a first time for everything I suppose.....

37. Chaeron

French writes for that left wing publication The Australian....

38. dawooduck

Reinforcing his prejudice for all to see

39. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

I wonder if he would prefer heritage gays?

40. zapruda

zapruda One of Us

Yep... But who gives a **** about bigotry when there are horses to save...

dawooduck likes this.
  41. skifree

You mean bogs & frogs to save.

42. zapruda

zapruda One of Us

I get the sense he would. I expect he harbours some latent feelings.

43. Chaeron

French also writes for Wild magazine :evil:

zapruda likes this.
  44. skifree

There have been some very interesting studies into homosexuality amongst convicts. I believe there was plenty of heritage gay action.

45. Chaeron

All this excitement leaves me a little hoarse... Hay ho Silver!

dawooduck and skifree like this.
  46. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I think his not quite mountainman background is about to come out and most of his detestable comments are not out of context.

47. Chaeron

@Xplora has highlighted the necessary distinction between the pollies and ferals and those high country folks who have an authentic connection to their heritage and a genuine concern for the alpine horses - even though times have changed and ecological concerns override heritage values.

In hindsight 2020 might finally prove to be a watershed for the Aussie Alps.

dawooduck and zapruda like this.
  48. nezumi

For anyone who can stand to see his more vulgar side, he has (unsurprisingly) an account on Gab (commonly described as right wing twitter), which can be found here: https://gab.com/Bundarrah

It appears to be dormant as of the start of 2018, but it's a clear insight into his mind and attitudes that have been kept out of sight on the RR page.

49. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

His facebook comments on personal account (which is completly open) are bad enough without wading into the cesspit of gab.

50. nezumi

He appears to have blocked me on there, so I have been spared that grief :p

dawooduck and Chaeron like this.