1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Wilderness First Responder Courses - Thoughts and Recs?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by xyz, Dec 2, 2019.

1. xyz

xyz First Runs

I'm hoping to be outside even more next year (climbing, walking, skiing) and want to be prepared... any forum folks done a wilderness first responder course? Thoughts? Recommendations for providers? I'm based in Vic fwiw, but don't mind traveling for a good course at a time I can manage.

Has anyone done a US/Canada based course? I'm guessing they are difficult to have recognized here if you need the credentials, but I think some have more winter relevant content?

I have CPR (possibly useful but we hope never...) and AED (not likely in the backcountry...) training and know enough basic first aid to make the bandage I carry not completely useless (wrap an ankle, stop bleeding, treat snakebite, etc), but feel like I would like to know a lot more, especially for the backcountry environment.

2. Wally

Wally One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Check out 'Survive First Aid' - They run brilliant courses with top notch trainers.

3. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The early Wilderness first Aid courses run in Australia were Canadian based. Since then, the TAFE system in NSW (I'm guessing something similar in VIC) has codified the core skills and now there are many providers. My advice, check credential where you can as many many providers now, but do a genuine Wilderness First Responder course (some First Aid courses great for CPR etc which you have but not enough for wilderness guiding/touring for example). You'd be looking at 7 -10 day course to really get a good qual/skill set. Some others on here may have provider recommendations. Good luck. Well worth doing.

ecowain likes this.