Will Furano suit my 11 and 14 yr old?

Goody

First Runs
Dec 13, 2018
Is the good skiing in Furano all outside the gates? Do you need avi gear?
Or are there safe places to ski without a beacon, in or outside the gates, that are challenging.

I’m not sure I want to buy my 11 and 14 yr old a beacon, probe & shovel and give them avi training. They are really good skiers and I’m worried Furano will be boring for them, and frustrating for me because I’ll have to ski with them inbounds while my husband and his friend go off and enjoy the good terrain outside the gates.

In Austria the ski school lent the kids avi gear and a backpack that they had to wear. I can’t imagine the same happens in Japan....

Opinions?

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Lots of good “inbound” off piste and trees if the snow Is on. But still possible to rent avi gear in town if you want. @telenomore can rent and provide guiding

02DB2674-478F-4A98-9AFC-86EF984A52B5.png
69DE5BDE-3DFC-42CF-BD0B-6CB5990944B8.png

Reactions: Goody

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
If my kids had complained about skiing in Japan being boring, they would have received an earful on privilege and perhaps left at home next time. They never did because it’s awesome and they know how lucky they were. They too are “really good skiers”.

Goody

First Runs
Dec 13, 2018
Thanks. Yes first world probs exactly. It’s me I’m worried about more than the kids. The kids will be in awe.....Thanks for helping me realise than I’m actually worried about the dynamic that will happen with these particular friends - one that wants us to come and his girlfriend that just wants to go with him, and not with us: a family with kids.... can’t believe I took so long to figure that out. . I have saved up for years to take the fam skiing in Japan and want it to be ace

Reactions: Tanuki

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Thanks. Yes first world probs exactly. It’s me I’m worried about more than the kids. The kids will be in awe.....Thanks for helping me realise than I’m actually worried about the dynamic that will happen with these particular friends - one that wants us to come and his girlfriend that just wants to go with him, and not with us: a family with kids.... can’t believe I took so long to figure that out. . I have saved up for years to take the fam skiing in Japan and want it to be ace
Welcome @Goody Firstly, there is no avi risk on piste at the Furano ski resort. Some side country terrain that is technically inbounds but not groomed is open to resort skier and does not require avi kit but is challenging and steep. Anything outside the ropes you should have avi kit. Plug coming, We (Alpine Backcountry) rent all of that kit, based about 100 m from the Kitanomine gondola. Out of bounds system here was the worst for many years but now I think very very good, with a sign out procedure and kit requirements that you have to agree to having with you when you sign out, part of which is that you agree to pay for any rescue. I'd recommend guiding out of bounds, us and others offer that service, depending on your experience level. Visit the info centre at the base of the gondola for up to date info, English speaking staff there, or drop in and we can help with info. Note under 12 YO no lift pass required so theres a bonus.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Goody

First Runs
Dec 13, 2018
Some side country terrain that is technically inbounds but not groomed is open to resort skier and does not require avi kit but is challenging and steep. Anything outside the ropes We (Alpine Backcountry) rent all of that kit, based about 100 m from the Kitanomine gondola. I'd recommend guiding out of bounds, us and others offer that service, depending on your experience level. Visit the info centre at the base of the gondola for up to date info, English speaking staff there, or drop in and we can help with info.
Awesome. Thanks telenomore! Do you happen to know if there is decent ski hire in Furano for kids/teens? If so, do you think you Can you just turn up and be sure to get the right size, or should you book something in advance? (I have not yet skied in Japan and get different stories from different people)

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Awesome. Thanks telenomore! Do you happen to know if there is decent ski hire in Furano for kids/teens? If so, do you think you Can you just turn up and be sure to get the right size, or should you book something in advance? (I have not yet skied in Japan and get different stories from different people)
Yes to that @Goody . We work with Harros Snow Sports (Google Harro Snowsports Furano) for resort gear. Best resort ski and snowboard set up in Furano for international skiers and kids. You can book online which may be best to put your mind at ease. Harros have a shop in OZ and also have a shop in Niseko. Very good set up and very understanding of international skiers needs not to mention sizes!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass