1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Poll Will you Go this year?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Mils, May 31, 2020.

?

Will You go to the snow this year?

1. Yes!

85 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Maybe, not sure yet

37 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. All of the above

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah. When Barry announced he wasn't opening for the season we took the free cancellation offer from the airlines too.
    We've made our peace with not being able to ski the southern season this year. Sights now on January.

Untele-whippet likes this.
  2. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

We’ve been talking about pulling the kids out of school for a week in early September and going to the snow. Finally pulled the trigger on a serviced apartment this evening. The plan is to go to Perisher, but we’ll see who has the better offer on day passes next week.

Ozgirl, Chaeron, climberman and 2 others like this.
  3. mholling

mholling One of Us

Reading the park closures page, it's not clear to me that park access from Kiandra is verboten. Can anyone clarify?

4. Mils

Mils One of Us

What's to stop epic pass people all booking tickets for the day and then not turning up?

I feel there is flaws in their approach

zac150 likes this.
  5. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ts & Cs: https://www.epicaustraliapass.com.au/images/Terms_and_Conditions/2020EpicAustraliaPassTC.pdf

Essentially if you book out a block of days and don't show up, your EAP may be cancelled.

6. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Looks like I’m going to Perisher twice this year - once with uni and once with my family. The uni trip was supposed to be at Thredbo, but we voted to ski at Perisher instead once Thredbo cancelled all their contracts and we were unable to make a group booking. We’re still staying at Thredbo, but the company the trip was booked through is organising a bus to and from the ski tube.

Ozgirl likes this.
  7. teleroo

teleroo still looking for Thredbo in the Park Ski Pass: Gold

mholling likes this.
  8. D.PAN

D.PAN Early Days

With our current coronavirus pandemic, with the latest news from Melbourne, this is what happened when they stated BLM protests.

*SMH*

BTW, I am new to this forum and wanted to say hi to everyone and the only real reason is I need to sell my snowboard gears when I get 50 posts!

zac150 likes this.
  9. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ahhh, you must be talking about the recent increase in cases that has no direct link to the BLM protests in Melbourne? Where transmission has been attributed to insufficient social distancing at large family gatherings following the relaxation of restrictions?

Unless you are referencing all the other BLM protests that occured around Australia, where no spike in the rate of transmission was recorded, such as the 30,000 strong gathering in Brisbane?

In any case welcome to the forums - if you are mainly here to sell your gear, you can always go the route of upgrading your membership for instant access: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/how-membership-works-on-these-forums.77444/

Chaeron, xuěboarder, Crystal and 6 others like this.
  10. D.PAN

D.PAN Early Days

They wouldn't tell us anything about whether it has been linked to BLM protests or not due to a massive gathering, with a small chance that will infect everybody through human transmission. Just found out that a woman got it through touching a can of drink!!!! She said she should have stayed home, so she wouldn't get it.

Thanks for that link.

11. D.PAN

D.PAN Early Days

stated = staged...bloody autospeller :(

I am from Sydney, it should be anyone who is interested to buy gears locally, rather then sending it internationally due to expensive shipping.

12. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

haha I was going to respond and tell you to check out the map in the historic huts lost thread, but then realised you were part of the chat.

anyway for others the rule of thumb for Kosci is that if it Burnt it is closed.

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

The NPWS KNP website has updated their information. All access to that area is a NO GO. That includes BC access on skis, snow shoes, pogo sticks , whatever!.

14. Charles

Charles Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

From Adelaide I don't think I am making it to Fall Creek this year. Our border like most other states will remain closed with Melbourne till late July. I am not holding out much hope after that. This is not good as there is also no OS travel I can see next year so Falls was going to be my fix for the next 12 months.. Still there is always 2021.

15. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yep 2021 is good

This year is written off

16. murph

murph Hard Yards

Held off 'til last minute, but just cancelled our epic passes. Too much uncertainty with work, lockdowns, covid transmission in foreign ski resorts, etc. To top it off the passes remain at the same price even though there is a reduced season, we won't be able to use pass overseas, and they have taken away additional benifits such as day ticket discounts for friends.

Snowy Joey, almontyrat and skiflat like this.
  17. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yep

[​IMG]

18. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sounds easiest the lottery is a clusterfark.

Snowy Joey and skiflat like this.
  19. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Hahaha YES

20. MattyHoll

MattyHoll Hard Yards

Yep appears to be all shut, I was up there a few weeks ago scouting for areas to ski when the snow does come. It’s all shut and they were still doing a lot of work to the road. Including new guard rails. So not a lot of places to even pull over and will be worse with fresh snow. Even the tracks from Denison are shut. So you technically wouldn’t be allowed to hike in from the east either.

Attached Files:

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Now the NSW border is shut so My BC KNP NSW XC ski trip is toast until perhaps when the gate to Charlotte Pass is
    re opened in mid October. Shite manifests. I think VIC. is heading towards a mega statewide lockdown. Possibly more stringent than level 3. Stage 4 will be like martial law without the firing squads.

22. Trizzo

Trizzo First Runs

Who'd of thunk chubb security and hotel workers press ganged into running quarantines would not have had the training, resources and general medical wherewithal to pull it off. What a ****ing basket case.

I present my new acronym 'PAAPAS'. Put-against-a-post-and-shot. We can start with Dan Andrews, VIC CHO and VIC Health Minister. How many times can you keep ****ing it up and your only answer is 'inquiry'.

The same lack of imagination, the same economic rationalism, the same mediocre technical class that failed to prepare for this crisis has once again ****ed it up. Dan Andrews is a dead man walking.

Cancelling all my accomodation for Vic. This devestates a region. Tourism/guiding in the Blue Moutains was just starting to pick after everybodies sacrifce and new found madness during the lockdown.

Still going to the snow though ... if allowed...

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yep, Dan the Man has mucked it up alright. The world has gone mad so I just live day to day to ski , surf , swim, hike and cycle. If there is live music and some female company too , then that would also be nice .

Trizzo likes this.
  24. Trizzo

Trizzo First Runs

Pretty much! Life is good surrounded by people, lots of time to spend in the outdoors. I don't want to be mistaken for ungratefulness but this crisis has fully revealed our nebbish, insipid political class.

The stakes are to high now and they are not up to the task. Platitudes 'he's giving it his best go', 'we need to come together', 'if we had known better' are not good enough. We are on a war footing, this is not some parent teacher association drama. It's time for a coup, the deadwood cast aside.

25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

This the wrong forum to say it but the Lib Labs are objectionable dead wood who do not represent the people very well at all .Sadly a great majority of the disengaged and apathetic electorate are loathe to take charge , start and actually participate in a more competent and altruistic movement or party to determine their own governance according to their actual needs and wishes.

Let us hope, if we must be locked down , again, that most alpine precipitation between tomorrow and mid August consists almost entirely of wet slop, sago , clag and water skiing variety moisture .

26. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I just bought a new surf board to take my mind off the cluster fck that is the 2020 ski season.

27. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I just bought new skis to give me something to look forward to as we ride the covid wave. But they still haven't arrived. And I might not get to use them when (if) they do. Booked in at FC for mid- August with season pass, epic pass.
    Meanwhile, it's too easy to blame Mr. Andrews. People forget (quickly) that just 3 weeks ago, he was being hammered by the libs and business ($$$) powers for not opening up economic/social restrictions. Remember?

TinkyH23, nezumi, skiflat and 2 others like this.
  28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

BC XC touring could happen. Yes Roper's hut ( a good base) can be a 1.5 day hike to reach via the BC routes but I am planning such a trip in early Sept.. We live in hope!!.

29. ecowain

ecowain One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

At least the skis and bindings I sent finally got there!

Best wishes to you and all the VIC folks.

Untele-whippet likes this.
  30. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yep I'll be getting 2 pairs of skis shortly. Have access to a container (free shipping) and an USA address, or if something comes up cheap here I'll get it.

31. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks, ecowain. Those bindings have been mounted on Voile Vectors (by Doug/Mitch @ EMC) and are just waiting to get out there. But things on hold atm. Patience, grasshopper. Meanwhile, await arrival DPS Cassiar 94. For those in resort days. Fingers crossed, it might happen.

Untele-whippet and ecowain like this.