1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Wilson's Prom. bushwalk. Feb.1 & 2. 2020

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Your correspondent in the field returned to his source of all things outdoors …...

back to my roots as a bushwalker, camper and what would later lead to snow camping, snow shoes, ice axes, crampons , Nordic skiing and surfing.
    Yes with many places for bushwalking still closed due to terrible bushfire damage I went with Miss. M. to the Prom.
    We whizzed down there in the Tee mobile with the A/C humming in the 44 C. heat.
    We arrived in stinking hot and humid conditions on Friday Jan. 31st 2020. After establishing camp at The Prom . gate campsite at Stockyard we went off to swim in the sea and cool off at Cotter's beach. I did not take my surf board because the surf report was not looking good. The swell was dying off but the hot 40 C.+ northerly wind made for some nice waves to splash about in.
    The sand flies and march flies were horrific and after bathing we escaped back to the Tee mobile and back to have a cold shower at the Stockyards.
    The night was very hot and humid and sleeping in the tent without much air moving was a challenge. It drizzled a bit but not enough to clear the air.
    The next morning we packed up and went to meet Mr. P. who said he would meet us at Tidal River. He did not show up so we went as a leech and sand fly dodging duo to pick up the shuttle bus from the overnight hikers' car park.
    That took us up to Telegraph saddle a.k.a Mt. Oberon car park.
    Then we set off towards Refuge Cove, some 16.5 or so km.s away.
    Lunch was taken at Sealers' cove. The creek crossing there was easy what with the tide being out and all.
    We pressed on seeing different plant communities along the way. The tracks were over all in good condition.
    Someone had chain sawed all the logs that had fallen across the pathway for the whole 36 km hike.
    There was not as much litter strewn about the whole park since I was there some three years ago.
    Finally we reached Refuge cove. The campsite was busy.
    I put up the tent, erected a cooking shelter , went for a quick cooling dip after slogging it out in the tropical humidity all day and then it began to rain and cool down quite a bit as the cool SW change approached us.
    Daal and rice and hot green mint tea went down very well for dinner . Miss. M. flaked out in her tent before darkness arrived . Some other campers who used the word ' like' every second word were very noisy and kept it up until at least 10 pm.
    It rained quite a bit overnight .
    We packed up on the Sunday, day 2 and were walking by 0815 am. We visited Kersop's peak and visibility was quite good.
    We kept moving until lunch time . We stopped for lunch at the gorgeous Little Waterloo Bay . The tide was out so the creek crossings there were easy and the turquoise water, white sands and blue skies all looked like an idyllic postcard.
    The wind had picked up from the SW. There were a few drops of rain as we headed for Telegraph junction. More segments of board walk are being added to the part of the trekking route by P.V. .
    We took a quick rest at Telegraph saddle on the benches that have been installed there. Then we smashed out the last 6.5 kms of the 19.1 kms of the distance for day two along the gravel management track that is the Telegraph track , up to catch the bus from Telegraph saddle back to Tidal River. After a shower at Stockyard and an iced coffee at Fish Creek and we were revived and back on the road and reached Melbourne at dusk on 2/2/20
    One forgets how beautiful the Prom . is even if there are too many people there compared with camping on top of the Diamantina spur with rationed carry in water or camping near High Cone on the AAWT with rationed carry in water.
    It was luxury to have water flowing and easily available and drop loos, sign posts etc.
    It was an enjoyable trip.
    The Lovely Miss. M., one Brazil's finest exports since the Bossa Nova , Carmen Miranda and fresh black coffee enjoyed herself too.
    :)

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Hot and humid at Cotter's beach.31.1.20

whether and parkmonkey like this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Miss.M. heading back to the car at Cotter's Lake car park to escape the biting flies which travel in relentless swarms in summer at the Prom.

#3 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 3, 2020
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Day 1 of the hike. The rainforest boardwalk near Sealers' Cove.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Sealers' Cove. 1.2.20
    There were some French walkers there taking a dip when we arrived.
    Miss. M. recently got a part time job with Parks Victoria but not at the Prom. .

#5 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 3, 2020
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Moving on from Sealers' Cove.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Approaching Refuge Cove.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Wandering around Refuge Cove before dusk.

whether, parkmonkey and MarkV like this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Day 2 of the hike. Moving on from Refuge cove and up to Kersop's peak in cooler, less oppressively humid weather.

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Heading for Little Waterloo bay. The sun came out just in time to add some extra colour to the scenery.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Lunch at Little Waterloo Bay.

#11 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Waterloo Bay , heading for Telegraph junction.....

whether, parkmonkey and Luken like this.
  13. Luken

Luken One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like a nice weekend. The prom is spectacular, I've not seen anywhere as "pretty" in Vic. In terms of white sand, turquoise water and beautiful scenery. As long as u get good weather its amazing. Unlike my first trip there in Grade 6 camp.. rained for about 4 days of the 5.. My tent collapsed on us in the night, one of those old canvas a frame ones.. just about suffocated!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes the Prom. is very beautiful.It does rain a lot there and there are leeches!. The Prom. is open for camping and walking. So too is the Baw Baw N.P. so while much of the High Country in the NE of Vic. has been damaged by bushfires the Gippsland area west of Sale is still fabulous for outdoor recreation.

15. Wally

Wally One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Southern Prom is great, Northern Prom is epic!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  16. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My second favourite part of the State!
    Nice

Wally and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes, I agree. The Northern Prom . circuit is solid,wild and beautiful and makes for a challenging 4 day / 3 night hike. I have done it three times. You do not see that many people out and about in the Northern Prom..I have taken some fabulous photos while out in the wilderness that is the Northern Prom.
    The Full length of 5 Mile Beach is somewhere I would like to explore further in future. One could make a base camp at the 5 Mile Beach camping area and then walk up and down the entire 5 Mile Beach as a day trip. I am sure some people have taken a Mountain bike ( That is not officially allowed) out along 5 Mile Road. That would be a quicker and less onerous as a way to reach 5 Mile Beach.

Wally likes this.