1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Wind direction and Thredbo

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Timbo2669, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Timbo2669

Timbo2669 Hard Yards

G’day. Just curious if anyone can help me out with what effect various wind directions have on the snow pack and accumulation at Thredbo. I know that the predominant NWsters often have a beneficial effect filling in areas like the bluff with fresh snow after and during a storm. What happens when it’s snowing and blowing hard from the south? Which wind direction is worst for turning nice fresh snow into that hardpacked crunchy stuff that seems to often plague Thredbo even after a solid dump of new snow?

I’ve hopped in the car and driven 6 hours only to be bitterly disappointed as the wind has changed direction and blown all the fresh snow the wrong way. If anyone has any knowledge, speciafically in relation to
    This weekends forecast snow and wind switch from NW to W to S across Saturday Sunday, any thoughts appreciated.

2. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Given the general precip forecasts, if i could I'd leave home yesterday and be there today LOL
    It'll be great, if you can get there, do.

Timbo2669 and Sage Oya like this.
  3. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I couldn't find the Bom wind rose for Thredbo Top station, but Willy Weather has the functionality.

sbm_ and Timbo2669 like this.
  4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Your request is a bit simplistic as there are too many other variables to consider.

But generally speaking Thredbo handles the westerly half quite well. Not so good on the easterly half. The SE qtr can be OK or bad. SW qtr is the preferred direction with cold temps and snow.

Gimp likes this.