1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Wind direction and wind hold

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by fenrir, Jun 29, 2018.

1. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

I'm not to familiar with the orientation of the various lifts at Falls so hoping someone can help me out.

If there are strong winds from the SW, which lifts are likely to run and which are likely to be on hold?

2. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

For windhold generally Eagle, Scottys, Ruined Castle and Summit are frequently the first to go, and Halleys (Falls Express), Drovers and Towers the last.

Height & exposure rather than orientation...

Often at Falls for windhold it can be one and all.

@BilbyBill , @currawong ?

mick chopps and currawong like this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

pretty much what @Chaeron said.

Ruined is probably first to go, then summit. Basically too hard to get off the lift if facing into strong wind.
    Then scott, eagle, inter as well for cross winds (height & exposure as above)

sometimes Halleys has to shut part way through the day but they can keep towers and maybe drovers going. Lakeside should be able to run in most conditions but I can't recall it staying open if halleys is shut. could be wrong

when everything else is shut they will often run gully, but you'd have to be desperate

my rule of thumb: nothing is likely to run if it's >= 30knots (55 kph)

Ziggy and Chaeron like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

On one occasion it was windy and cold with heavy black lowering clouds and I was the only guy skiing Ruined, accumulating rime in the beard. Heh, the lifties were freezing with little to do. It surprised me that the lift hadn't been closed.

Chaeron likes this.