1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Wind speed

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by cap, Aug 10, 2007.

1. cap

cap First Runs

Sitting in PB carpark this morning [Friday 10/8] watching parking attendants being blown all over the place, flags almost torn off their ropes and the PB snow report on the radio says "winds light in the valley"! Wonder which valley he was talking about. Anyone else sick of ridiculously inaccurate snow reports? Shouldn't there be some sort of truth in advertising???

2. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

I was very much annoyed last week. The report said on a few days light winds in the valley gusting to stronger at the peaks at times. Get up the top and it was constantly blowing a gale and lifts went on hold. Would be good to get an indication and get some km/h on the report so in the morning you can prepare with what to expect and get the right clothes going.

3. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

The snow reports from the resorts over the past couple of days have been atrocious.

The winds are about as strong as they get down here and the reports barely mention them! Some facts would be nice. Something like "it's extremely windy so most of the lifts will go on hold. Don't bother coming."

4. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty

on the radio this afternoon the ABC reporter said, "winds at force 10" storm force.

force 10 MPH 55-63 knots 48-55 Storm Seldom experienced inland; trees uprooted; considerable structural damage occurs.

I wouldn't go.

5. Ben Zeenees

Ben Zeenees One of Us

I agree with these comments. I was at PB yesterday morning. Nearly everything on windhold. A bit more opened later. The PB report gave the impression that everything was open and that there was a chance some lifts might go on hold. As I was leaving at about 10am, the wind was getting stronger. Glad I didn't buy a ticket. Today, where I am, the wind is even stronger. The PB report gave the impression that skiing would be great. Was it?

Wind isn't PB's fault, but the reports could be a little more balanced. I imagine these comments would equally apply to Thredbo.

Quote from the PB Report

"There is a very good to excellent cover of packed snow with some windblown pockets to be found in places. Skiers and snowboarders can look forward to some fast turns this morning with the cover softening during the day. A good day to stick to the tree lines and stay down lower on the mountain.
    Please note that due to strong winds some lifts may go on wind-hold today. Please check with Guest Services before purchasing your Mountain Pass."

I think something like "it's very likely that a lot of lifts will be on windhold" would be more accurate. Of course I may be wrong and everything might have been open!

6. gsuttor

gsuttor Hard Yards

All PB care about is you getting up there and buying that lift Ticket. They will sugar coat whatever is needed.
    Hmmm that sounded so cynical... I must have PMT (pre-mountain tension)

7. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Remember that the reports are usually done in the morning and just repeat most of the day.

8. Podlet

Podlet Part of the Furniture

Did anyone see TIm Bailey on the snow report last night? Cracked me up! Such a tosser

He was standing at Friday Flat with jacket partly open, gloves on but no head covering trying to give a snow report but the wind was so strong he could barely stand up and he was shaking so much, probably from being cold and no head covering.

[​IMG]

#8 Podlet, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. AlanD

AlanD Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

And it's likely the report is issued at 7am before any wind arrives. The reports were likely to be accurate at the time of issue and I really think that it's up to the radio stations to insist on getting fresh reports every hour. From a radio station's point of view, using the same report thoughout the day is much easier.

#9 AlanD, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  10. Schumacher Rocks

Schumacher Rocks First Runs

I thought everyone knew to treat the TV/radio reports with a grain of snow? That includes anything on Channel 9, the owners of which have an interest in PB. Its a standing joke at our lodge when the radio reports come on - at least one of our people beats the radio guys to it with stuff like, "We've had at least a foot of fresh overnight here at Perisher Blue, 2 metres in the car park!"

The local radio reports are broadcast by a business that has a vested interest in propping up the local businesses that rely on the snow & in turn pay advertising $ to that radio station. There’s no way they would poop in their own nest.

The Bureau of Meterology is the way to go. Sometimes they get the timing of fronts out (eg a front hits a few hours earlier or later than forecast) but they are rarely wrong. Given how quickly things can change in the mountains the BOM does a good job. Any mention of strong to gale force winds up there, give it a miss unless you’re happy to muck around on front valley.

The cams are a good help too. Last Friday for example when you guys are talking about I was watching the cam – there wasn’t a soul at Blue Cow or up the Summit / Zalis etc. Interestingly, the PB website listed all the lifts as open all day. There’s a good case for false & misleading advertising mounting here…

11. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The reports this week were a joke. Somebody should have them for false advertising.

On Thursday 9/8 we skiied Smiggins to try to escape the wind. I have never seen winds so strong at the top of The Link, nor have I seen Piper closed because of wind. We took the bus back.

On Friday we did not ski at all. We could tell what the wind was like just from Jindabyne where there were willi-willies on the lake. I heard the PB office tell somebody "visibility is good".

12. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Tim Bailey, is, always has been, a Toss bag. I loathe the man. Act your age, TB.

#12 VSG, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  13. Monkey Steeze

Monkey Steeze First Runs

I listened to the reports last week, as I do every day and I thought they were entirely accurate, well as much as they could be considering conditions were changing frequently. On snowfm the reports are broadcast every half hour. On the half hour the reports only go for 15 seconds so you only get limited information. What I heard was 'winds are light in the valley with strong gusts at times and winds are very strong at the top of the mountain. Some lifts are on windhold'. How much more accurate a description do you need? I was up there and that was EXACTLY what it was like. The winds were gusty down low, not blowing at a strong speed consistently. For the longer report on the hour it gave the exact wind speed and direction so you could decide for yourself. It also said 'lifts are on windhold so please check with guest services before purchasing your lift pass'. Surely you don't need it spelled out any clearer than that!

No one is forcing you to buy a pass, they even recommended you check with someone before you do it! If you listened to that report, then went to Guest Services like they told you and got the exact story on what lifts were on hold, then you bought a pass then it’s your own fault! Not the reporters!

I read a lot of posts here on ski.com.au, though rarely waste my time getting into such online banter but I'm a bit sick of people bagging the reporters, that's all they seem to do on this site! Take some responsibility for yourself, listen to the information given to you in the reports and then decide if it’s worth spending the money! Surely you've all skied before so you know how windy it's going to be if lifts are on hold! I honestly can't believe that anyone could have listened to those reports, got up the resort and thought 'oh, what a surprise, it's windy'. That just seem ridiculous. The first line of the report on the windiest day was ‘At Perisher Blue it’s a windy day’. Does’t that give you a pretty good hint???

And also, it was still possible to ski, so there's no way they were going to say 'don't bother coming up'. I had fun in amongst the trees and am glad I went out, despite the winds. If it's still possible to ski, the reporters are going to pick out the good things and encourage people to give it a go. Most people have to anyway because they’ve bought 5 day passes or whatever, so they might as well hear which areas are going to be best as they’re going out anyway.

Sorry for the rant but these threads are on here EVERY season and they're quite tiresome! I'm sure the reporters are just ski bums like the rest of us who love a few good turns and just happen to have pretty sweet jobs that enable them to do it and get paid. They're not vindictive nazi's who want to rip us all off!

You can decide to have a go at me or have a listen to the other side of the story, whichever but I honestly think it’s time to lay off the reporters you woosies!

14. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

What D'eye said is correct.

Written (and web) reports get done about 6am. Radio a little later.

Written (and web) reports aren't updated during the morning, radio reports also run for hours not updated.

As a result the "light winds in the valley" on the website represent the 6am wind condition and the radio closer to 6:30 or 7am.

By the time you get there at 9am it can (and often is) VERY different.

I was there last weekend and on the Saturday they were reporting "Breeze 10-15 km/h from the NW".

Here's the report

This was I am sure was correct at the time of the report. The BOM however was reporting:
    "Strong to gale force westerly winds, reaching storm force about the peaks at first."

I went with the BOM and didn't go up (and pleased I didn't!).

The Thredbo weather station showed gale force winds all Friday night and about 5am the winds dropped to almost nothing. They stayed that way until about 8am when they picked up to moderate and then rose to strong/gale later in the morning. This is a BOM weather station and run independent of Thredbo and I don't doubt its readings at all.

5-7am often equates to calmest weather of the day but that is all they have to report on, what the conditions are at the time of the report, and add in the forecast as well.

Radio reports should be updated as conditions change, as should the website - but they aren't.

#14 Ian D, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  15. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

BTW Monkey Steeze - this is not having a go at the reporters, as I said I think they call it fairly close to what it is. However many have experienced sitting in the car park having their car blown around while hearing a cheery report saying "light winds" on the radio and thinking WTF?

The issue isn't with the report, it is the fact that since that report was recorded conditions have changed.

Solution for all the resorts (not singling out PB here) is either:

1) Time the reports, so state in them "Hi this is Christy from Perisher Blue and at 6:30 this morning there is a light wind ...."

Of course this sounds a little lame when being played at 8:30am but at least it is clear.

Or - better option

2) Update the report. Do another radio report for 8am and another for 9am if the conditions change.

People are still in Jindy considering what to do at those times and by then the radio reports are 2-3 hours old an may or may not bear any relationship to what is actually happening at the resort.

If the conditions deteriorate admit it. At least you don't end up with angry people at the resort screaming "lying bloody resort" as currently happens simply because conditions have changed since the report was recorded and there is no acknowledgement of that.

16. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The other thing is the way the written reports are worded. We read them at the lodge in Jindabyne and we know how to read between the lines, but we feel sorry for those new chums who may get conned.

Wording such as "50 lifts expected to operate - some may go on wind hold" would seem to a beginner to mean "there is a good chance that most lifts will run" whereas we know it really means "we have crews rostered on for 50 lifts, but we know there isn't a chance in hell that anything that has chairs attached to a wire will have its start button pushed today".